What's new

Songs you can't hear without thinking of a film (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
"Layla" - Goodfellas
"Mary Mo (sp)?" - Dumb and Dumber
"I can't get enough of you baby" - Can't Hardly Wait

That's a huge one for me!

"Tiny Dancer"/Almost Famous no doubt
Any Moulin Rouge song as was mentioned

Great thread topic BTW :emoji_thumbsup:

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
What's sad is that I swear I feel like getting some big ass shoes sometimes and breaking it down like Pee Wee did with Tequila. :)

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Several mentions here of Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" from the Ninth Symphony (Immortal Beloved and Die Hard); every third or fourth time I hear it, I think of Raising Arizona.. complete with hillbilly humming and hoo-hooing.

"Let It Snow" usually makes me think of Die Hard.

"I Heard it Through the Grapevine" frequently elicits mental pictures of The Big Chill.

"Magic Carpet Ride" puts me on the Phoenix with Dr. Cochrane, Commander Riker, and Geordi LaForge (Star Trek: First Contact).

"American Woman" puts me in Lester Burnhams Toyota Camry in American Beauty (terrific soundtrack; Thomas Newman is one of my favorite modern soundtrack composers).

"What Shall We Do With the Drunken Sailor"... Truman Burbank close to being drowned at the end of his Show.

"Show Me the Way to Go Home"... puts me in the Orca with on one of my favorite scenes from Jaws...

Dan_J_H.

Stunt Coordinator
"Nobody Does It Better"- Carly Simon. The Spy Who Loved Me. This song still sounds great after 26 years!

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
If I Didn't Care - The Inkspots - The Shawshank Redemtion

Who Made Who? - ACDC - Maximum Overdrive

Sister Christian - Night Ranger - Boogie Nights

Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon - The Color of Money

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Here's music that I strongly associate with movies that the music was not originally written for:

"Also Sprach Zarathustra (Intro)" (composed by Richard Strauss) - 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (Iron Butterfly) - Manhunter (1986)

"Miserlou" (Dick Dale & the Del-Tones) - Pulp Fiction (1994)

"The Sorcerer's Apprentice" (composed by Paul Dukas; played by Mickey Mouse) - Fantasia (1940)

"Symphony No. 5, Mvt I" (composed by Beethoven) - The Longest Day (1962)

"Adagio For Strings" (composed by Samuel Barber) - Platoon (1986)

"Dies Irae" (composer unknown; interpreted by Wendy Carlos) - The Shining (1980)

"The Entertainer" (composed by Scott Joplin; orchestrated by Marvin Hamlisch) - The Sting (1973)

"'Carmina Burana' - O Fortuna" (composed by Carl Orff) - Excalibur (1981)
"'The Ring Cycle' - Siegfried's Funeral March" (composed by Richard Wagner) - Excalibur (1981)

"'The Ring Cycle' - Ride of the Valkyries" (composed by Richard Wagner) - Apocalypse Now (1979)

"Man of Constant Sorrow" (traditional; performed by Soggy Bottom Boys / Dan Tyminski) - O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)

"Singin' in the Rain" (written by by Nacio Herb Brown and Arthur Freed, originally for the film Little Nellie Kelly (1940) ) - Singin' in the Rain (1952)

"Danny Boy" (traditional; performed by Frank Patterson) - Miller's Crossing (1990)

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
"Col. Bogey's March" in Bridge on the River Kwai. I knew this was from a movie before I ever saw the movie.

Also, of all the great music in Dazed and Confused the use of "Summer Breeze" by Seals & Croft for the scene at sunup after an all-night drunk is perfect.

"Ride of the Valkyries" is so entwined with Apocalypse Now that I can't even see a helicopter without humming the song.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
"Paint if Black" by the Rolling Stones. Can't hear this song without thinking of "Full Metal Jacket.
to me, this always reminds me of the TV series Tour of Duty. going a little OT on TV shows, Runaway reminds me of Crime Story, although the version used on Crime Story doesn't seem the same as the one recorded by Del Shannon. another recent example is the Blondie song used on Snoops (One Way?)

I didn't realise Singin' In The Rain wasn't specifically written for the movie, even though it seems so closely tied to the movie. interesting: a song that spawns a movie. how often does that happen?

come to think of it, a lot of 50s music brings up images of American Graffiti (is it 2 "F"s and 1 "T" or vice-versa?:D )

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Ole time rock and roll- Hewey Risky Buisness

On the road again - Dave mattwews? Road House

Big Pay Back - James Brown- Pay Back

Mary Jane- Rick James Friday

Here comes the boom- DMX f/Sean Paul Belly

God is trying to tell you something Color Purple

Change gone come- Ottis Redding? X

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a recent one:

"Lose Yourself" by Eminem - 8 Mile

Made a lot more sense after seeing the movie...

Somebody already mentioned it, but the other one for me is

"In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabiel - Say Anything

Jason Pancake

Stunt Coordinator
I have a friend who freaks out every time he hears the Christmas song "Do You Hear What I Hear?" thanks to "Gremlins".

:laugh:

-JPancake

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Ride of Valkyries always makes me sing "KILL THE WABBIT! KILL THE WABBIT!" in my best Elmer Fudd voice.

I wonder if anyone would agree with the various pieces used in Fantasia.
Definititely March of the Broomsticks. Also, the name escapes me but there's a classical piece in Fantasia that is the melody behind the summer camp favorite "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah". It kills me everytime!

The piano solo from Clapton's Layla always reminds me of the unnatural death of Morrie Kessler and his wife in Goodfellas.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
"Dream Lover"--Hot Shots
"If You Leave"--Pretty in Pink
"Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now"--Mannequin

~T

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I also can't listen to Hip to Be Square, Sussudio, or The Greatest Love of All without thinking of American Psycho.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks