What's new

Songs you can't hear without thinking of a film (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
OK John, it seems we may both be right...

From the IMDb Trivia for Singin' In The Rain
Only two songs were written especially for the film: "Moses Supposes" was written by Roger Edens and Comden and Green, "Make 'Em Laugh" was written by Arthur Freed and Nacio Herb Brown especially for Donald O'Connor. It is generally agreed that they stole the melody almost exactly from Cole Porter's "Be a Clown".

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
From Ferris Bueller's Day Off :

- "Oh Yeah" by Yello
- "Danke Schoen" by Wayne Newton
- "Twist and Shout" by the Beatles

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Oddly, when I hear "Oh Yeah" (Yello) I don't think of Ferris.. I always think of "Secret of My Success"

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I thought of one today. As I was walking around the supermarket, they started playing "Come And Get It", and I flashed back to ten years ago.

I had seen the last twenty minutes of a Peter Sellers comedy called The Magic Christian, which was apparently about the lengths people will go in pursuit of money.

At the end of the film, they took a large swimming pool, put it in the middle of the park, filled it with sewage, and put a hang of a lot of money in it. People stayed away because of the smell, then slowly inched foward until they got to the end of the pool and started taking the notes they could reach from the edge. Then some climbed into the pool and waded around in waist-high sewage, and then some even dived below the surface. And then that song started to play...

If You Want It
Here It is
Come and get It
But you'd better hurry
'Cause It's going fast.

Of course, at that time there was a prominent TV commercial campaign on at the time that used that song. Every time that ad aired, it reminded me of that scene until it became so ingrained that the song and the scene are intertwined in my mind.

Pity - I used to like the song. Now I just feel ill every time I hear it.

EDIT: I've just done some research, and it seem the song was written for the movie, so it technically doesn't fit into the rules for this page. (Songs written specifically for, or first introduced in a movie don't count) Oh well. For me, it was a case of knowing the song well, and then seeing the film, and then having the song irretrievably tied to the film.

Cary_H

Second Unit
Great thread.....here's a couple that come up for me.

Debussey's Claire de lune, ....from The Right Stuff. Got me going on Classical.
Giordano's La mamma morte,(Maria Callas)...from Philadelphia. Got me started on Opera.
CCR's Fortunate Son,...from Forrest Gump.
Otis Redding's Dock of the Bay,...from Top Gun.

and the great cover mix Wonderful World/Somewhere over the Rainbow during the credits of Meet Joe Black.
Is this the Williams one?

RyanPC

Stunt Coordinator
"The Banana Boat Song"- Beetlejuice :D
"Don't You Forget About Me"- The Breakfast Club
"9 to 5" - 9 to 5

Galen_V

Second Unit
Hurricane by Bob Dylan-The Hurricane (kind of obvious)
Johnny B. Goode-Back to the Future
Ride of the Valkyries-Apocalypse Now (for all of the reasons said above)
Mickey Mouse Club-Full Metal Jacket
These Boots Were Made for Walkin'-Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
Hey Jude-The Royal Tennenbaums
"Ludwig Van's" Ninth Symphony-A Clockwork Orange (although more so because of the book than because of the movie)

I would have put Mrs. Robinson, but ever since DiMaggio died, the fact that people kept on quoting that verse sort of switched the association around.

David Brass

Agent
Nobody has yet mentioned "Hong Kong Blues" from the movie To Have and Have Not. This is the one tune I cannot divorce from a movie.

The 4th movement of Beethovens 9th symphony evokes Clockwork Orange for me when I hear the electronic version.

Anybody else think of Fellini's "8 1/2" when they hear "Ride of the Valkyries"? It obviously evokes Apocalypse, but I just watched "8 1/2" four times in a span of a week and it's stuck with me.

"We'll meet again" from Dr. Strangelove is also up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks