What's new

"Song of the South" solution for Disney (1 Viewer)

Aaron Ulmer

Agent
Disney has never released Song of the South on video in the U.S. However, they have released it in other areas of the world.
What would stop Disney from releasing a region free DVD release in Europe or Japan?
Then, those of us in the U.S. could order it from abroad and the American public at large would be none the wiser.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I have a feeling that Disney is going to quietly release this film to DVD this year.

American Cinematographer reported that Scott MacQueen recently restored the film...and I doubt they can make their money back by just releasing the film in other regions.

Plus, Disney seems to be over their "PC idiocy" phase. Both of their cartoon sets on Walt Disney Treasures are full of ethnic stereotypes.

Disney could also license the film to Criterion or even Anchor Bay. They know there's plenty of people out there willing to pay any price to have a legit DVD of this movie.

Disney also has received countless petitions and letters from the looks of it...there's no way to ignore that kind of demand.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have a feeling that Disney is going to quietly release this film to DVD this year.

American Cinematographer reported that Scott MacQueen recently restored the film...and I doubt they can make their money back by just releasing the film in other regions.

Plus, Disney seems to be over their "PC idiocy" phase. Both of their cartoon sets on Walt Disney Treasures are full of ethnic stereotypes.

Disney could also license the film to Criterion or even Anchor Bay. They know there's plenty of people out there willing to pay any price to have a legit DVD of this movie.

Disney also has received countless petitions and letters from the looks of it...there's no way to ignore that kind of demand.
That's good news.

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator
This would be amazing news. I could finally get rid of my VHS copy taped off the Japanese Laser.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I hope this happens. No need to license it to Criterion. Their higher-priced, limited edition "Treasures" line seems to be the perfect fit for this film.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I would probably buy two for myself, and then give it as a gift to everyone in my family. It's a great film that everyone I know loves, and it needs to be made available to the general public again.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Due to the VERY negetive theatrical release that SONG got in the 80's, I wouldn't holds your breath.
Be sure that this will get some sort of release in other region's.
Dugger

Aaron Ulmer

Agent
I have to agree with Dugger to some extent. Even though there are petitions and probably a good demand for this film, releasing it is going to cause a stir among some. Perhaps rightly so.

I just don't believe Disney can release this title in the fashion it deserves, with full glorious cross-promotion on all its many media outlets.

The only option will be a VERY quiet Treasures release, with no promotion in the major media.

I am encouraged to learn they've recently remastered it. That bodes well for some kind of release, somewhere.

Sarah S

Second Unit
Even if they release it quietly, I'm sure it will cause a stir here! :) Now I just have to keep my eyes open for the thread with the title of "I got Song of the South on dvd today!"

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
But, on the other hand, the animated segments could be seen as better and more interesting than the rest of the film. At least I tend to do so...

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I think it is telling that snippets of
Song of The South found
their way onto the DVD of
Disney's American Legends.
At least Buena Vista isn't acting like
the film never existed.
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks