What's new

Some very cool Daredevil DVD news....... (1 Viewer)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
It actually has a PG-13 rating in the United States, not PG. It had to be submitted to the MPAA board four times before it finally was downgraded from an R rating.

James Reader

Screenwriter
As long as the theatrical release is on the disc too - i'll say go for it. (I really want the theatrical release of everything in my collection)

(See the long Star Wars thread, or smaller mono soundtracks, Beauty and the Beast etc threads :))

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Here's the director's commentas on the DVD in general (release date, editions, features):

Here's the latest on the DVD...

We were planning on having the theatrical release with a Director's cut (a branching version) in the same set. The problem we ran into is that there is so much information on the disc (massive amounts of behind the scenes, art, interviews with DD creators Miller, Lee, Smith, etc.) that there just wasn't enough room for both. So there will be 2 separate versions. The first is the theatrical release (2 disc) which is out in June. The second is the Director's cut which I am currently cutting. I don't know the release date yet--guessing Christmas? Anyhow, it's a half hour longer and quite a bit different than the theatrical release. It will be interesting to compare the two. They are quite different.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I know, but I didn't want to edit the quote, since it was from the director himself....maybe he categorizes all ratings that start with PG as PG.

Hopefully the new cut will include the scenes where Urich was working with the police chief to expose Fisk. One of the few things I didn't like about the theatrical cut was that all of a sudden everybody knows Fisk is the Kingpin and there is no explanation given as to why (except for Murdock himself knowing due to Bullseye).

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Having just seen this last night, I can't wait for this disc. I loved the movie, but it did seem like a lot was cut out. I will be getting both releases. I really want the Director's Cut, but I'll need the theatrical to tide me over.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
The second is the Director's cut which I am currently cutting.
Uh-huh. Right. Maybe it's just me but the director sounds just a little uncertain as to what exactly this "director's cut" will contain. Somehow I don't have a lot of respect for this 30 minutes longer future version.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Uh-huh. Right. Maybe it's just me but the director sounds just a little uncertain as to what exactly this "director's cut" will contain. Somehow I don't have a lot of respect for this 30 minutes longer future version.
I don't see what your point is? He until now, his primary focus was on the theatrical cut, which needed to make it to theaters. It was heavily trimmed down both for length by studio requirements and for violence for MPAA ratings requirements. He's putting that footage back in now, thus "recutting." It's no different than the Expanded Edition of FOTR, and I think most people would agree that that came out spectacularly.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I didn't really care for the movie, partly because it felt like there was 20-30 minutes of important footage left on the cutting room floor. So if this so-called Director's Cut restores all of that, it could be a much more coherent film and definitely worth getting on DVD. But I'm not gonna get my hopes up that we'll ever be seeing it. Fox and Brian Singer had two chances to release an extended cut of X-Men and chose not to.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
It is interesting that the theatrical version will be a 2 disc edition as well. What I'm curious to know is if any of the special edition material will overlap with the eventual director's cut edition or if it will be like the LOTR releases.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
but I don't want to just hear the action I want to see it..
That's funny!
I've 'seen' this clip on TV, twice now.
And while watching it, I thought just the opposite!
I could see it, however I couldn't 'hear' it.
I thought the sound was muffed to represent 'his' hearing.
We've got a totally different take on this.
I could 'see' all I needed to 'see', to get me into the bar fight.
Just could not 'hear' enough!

Howie A

Second Unit
I could 'see' all I needed to 'see', to get me into the bar fight.
I am not talking about what leads into the fight, I am talking about the fight itself..

If you felt differently from the TV clip, go pay and see it for yourself in the theaters. Then get back to us..

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Daredevil, frankly, felt like they went into production a draft too early, everything was there, but the usage and pacing was off.
Indeed there were many plot holes and eyebrow raising moments that made me feel like a great deal was cut out. I'll be very interested in this director's cut.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I can honestly say I had no problem with the fight scenes, except for the one at the beginning, which was just a bit too dark, but mainly was just not edited very well. As for the rest of the movie, there did seem to be significant cuts made, and I look forward to the director's cut.

I really think Fox must have tampered with this flick.

If they had not, would there even be a "director's cut"?

Since it had to be resubmiited to the MPAA so many times over the violence, I wonder if the first fight scene was darkened just to muzzle the figting on screen and appease the MPAA. Just an out there idea.....such things have been done before.

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
Howie - not trying to start anything here, but if you didn't like the movie you should state that in the movie section, this thread was obviously started by and for the people who enjoyed the movie enough to care about the DVD release (which you made very clear you are not)
I for one enjoyed the movie and will look forward to the directors cut.;)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
While the "Director's Cut" will contain 30 minutes of addition footage, I wonder if he will take some out as well. Like they did with Pearl Harbor.

Hmmm....If it was just adding scenes and not taking any away, I would only go for the extended edition, but I may have to buy both, if they take things out of the extended version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks