What's new

Some Car Audio Help Please. (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I've left this way too long. My mothers car is a 1993 Acura Legend Coupe. The 6disc changer in the trunk isn't working and the speaker in the driver side door needs to be replaced.

I understand there is an adapter that can be purchased for a few changers that would allow something besides a Bose (shiver) changer to be installed. Anyone know where I can go to find out which ones this applies to, or recommend me a changer or two this applies too.

Then same basic thing for the driver door speaker. What would make a good none Bose replacement? With the rears and deck still being Bose would it be worth having a matching speaker installed on the passenger side? Not looking for top of the line stuff. Just something that will get the stereo working without crackling and scratching again.

I plan to check out a few none Bose options, then get a quote from the Acura dealer to replace with stock components and go with the less expensive option.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Regarding the CD changer interface, this company link below offers a bunch:
http://peripheralelectronics.com/200...cura_honda.asp
I was looking at them when I was considering a aftermarket CD changer on my BMW. Check out the application guide too, seems like you have the option of three different manufacturer's for your Legend.
Crackling and scratching might not actually be the speaker, it could be bad/dirty contacts in the head unit or the head unit itself.
Jay

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Do you know what size your door speakers are? Crutchfield's site says it's 6.75" for a 1993 Acura Legend Sedan with a Bose system.
I think that as long as you replace both door speakers then you should be fine. IMO, I would choose another brand than Bose. ;)
Here's something that might fit:
Link Removed
BTW, I would probably have grabbed the above deal if I didn't already have a pair of Boston Acoustic Rally speakers....also, I didn't want to mod my factory 6x8 cutouts for the slightly larger 6.5". You might want to check out how deep your door speaker cutouts will allow...CDT's are a bit deep for some cars.
Good luck.
Dave

Scott "E"

Second Unit
The older Alpine changers work, I believe the model #'s are 601 and 604. You can switch 2 wires on the DIN plug to avoid buying an adapter and if I had one of the plugs in front of me I could tell you which 2.

As far as the speakers go, make sure it's not the Bose system that has amplifiers on each individual speaker. Another thing to be aware of is that 7 out of 10 Bose systems in Acura's use 1 ohm speakers, so if you do wind up replacing the speakers, chances are you're going to be able to tell a difference in volume.

Any 6.5" speaker up to 2.5" deep should work, although depending on the system you might wind up with a 4" and a tweeter behind the door panel. Either way is going to require some sort of baffle as the factory speakers are usually mounted in enclosures.

Cam S

Screenwriter
What would make a good none Bose replacement?
Haha, that is the funniest question I've ever heard, but a good one. I have all Eclipse in my car, speakers, amps, head unit, and the sub, and I REALLY like the stuff. So obviously I recommend them, but it's really up to you. Get what suites your budget and what sounds good to YOU. If you go down to your local car audio dealer they should be able to tell you exactly what kind of speaker will fit, and point you in the right direction.
Since your pretty knowledgeable with speakers, maybe get a little creative, how I don't know, that's where the creative part comes in :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks