What's new

Some advice please (1 Viewer)

I'm buying my first HT items as a result of this forum. I've decided on the Fluance AV-HTB package, and narrowed receivers down to two units, the Denon AVR-884 and the Pioneer VSX-D912K. Please advise what receiver I should choose. TIA Mike

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Of the two, I'd go with the Denon. Although either one should be good.
The Denon's functions operate a little differently, therefore having a little bit of a learning curve. But it doesn't take long to learn it. You should get many happy years from whichever one you decide on.
I know nothing of the speakers you mentioned. Have never seen or heard any. But, you know that the speakers are the most important part of an HT, don't you? Your speakers should be one half to two thirds of the total cost of your system, as an average. Unless you are very familiar with those, and know how they sound with a Denon, you may want to reconsider.
Are you interested in dvd-a and sacd 5.1 Hi-Resolution music? I noticed the Denon had the inputs for the player needed for this. May I suggest the Pioneer DV 563A universal player. It sells for around $170-$180 at Best Buy and Circuit City. It also has a great picture. The next cheapest universal player is about $700. If you've never heard dvd-a or sacd........ it's AWESOME!
Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide on. Just know this........ now the upgrade-itis disease will grab you, and not let go! ;)

Thanks for the reply, Ed. I have been leaning towards the Denon, but I'm sure either would be fine for a newbie like me. These will be my first pieces, and my budget is a measley $500-600. I've had a few recommendations on the Fluance package, so I think this will suit me fine. My next purchase will be an HDTV, (next 6-9 months, gotta save) so then a progressive scan/dvd-audio player will be acquired. I'm sure ANYTHING will beat the sound of my 13 year old Sharp all-in-one CD/Tape/Tuner thing, so I'm looking forward to it. Thanks, Mike

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Good luck!
Yeah, I'm sure they will be ok...........
You are about to enter another world! Buckle your seat belt! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks