What's new

Sold HK-520 for Lexicon DC-1, Will I be Impressed? (1 Viewer)

Daniel_Myles

Agent
I had a perfectly good HK AVR-520, but I wanted to go separates. I found a great deal on a Lexicon DC-1 with DD/THX/L7. I will have it upgraded to DTS & V4.0 software after it arrives. I'm wondering how this older DD processor, will stack up against the newer HK and similar products. Will this old $4,500 processor still hold it's own today? I feel like I traded a 2002 Accord, for an 89 BMW 540i. Not bad just outdated. Did I just take a step backwards?
Also, I have read mixed reports on the units music processing ability. Does it make a good DAC?

I understand the limits of the DC-1 input wise, but that's not an issue for me.

Daniel

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Without knowing the price you paid, but assuming you were sensible, you have bought the biggest bargain in HT.

A DC1 is still a great prepro and with the V4 upgrade is, IMHO, all you are likely to need.

It certainly stomps all over that sad excuse for a cheap prepro that Outlaw has beta released.

Enjoy

Steve

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Daniel,

I think you will be happy with the DC-1. Lexicon does make good products and you now have your foot in the door of separates. In another year, should you decide you want a little more you'll already have the amps and could probably find a hell of a deal on a used Outlaw 950 or Rotel 1066 if not one of Lexicon's more recent offerings.

Steven,

It certainly stomps all over that sad excuse for a cheap prepro that Outlaw has beta released.
Since I listened to and liked the 950 and it's a "sad excuse for a cheap prepro" does that make me a sad excuse for an audio and HT enthusiast? Talk about hurting someone's feelings. Their are many happy 950 owners and I'm sure there will be more. As someone considering a 950 I find your comment rather insulting.

Still stuck in receiver-ville,

Dan Hine

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Still, it IS Stephen's opinion. Although I don't share that opinion, he isn't alone in feeling that way. If he has tested the 950, then he has the right to comment on it... though perhaps he shouldn't do it quite so, venomously.
Daniel, I think you did well. :emoji_thumbsup: The DC-1 is a nice piece of equipment.

Daniel_Myles

Agent
That's the kind of stuff I wanted to here.
I'm not new to separates, I used to own a Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro. I got rid of that unit, because I never liked how it handled music and the noise floor was way to high. I had thought about the Outlaw 950, but I decided against anything that tried to do everything. And I have not been impressed with DPLII decoding so far. I just wanted a dedicated DD/DTS processor that had good DAC's for music. The addition of logic7 in this unit was just a bonus.
Can anyone (Lexicon Owners) comment on how the Lexicon is with music?

Stephen.. I paid less than $600 for it.

Daniel

Jeff H

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! that is an incredible price! Congrats! You will not be dissapointed in the DC1. It is a great pramp. I recently upgraded to a DC2 and I am thrilled with it. I started my seperates route with a Fosgate 3a I purchased from Mr. Dobbs a couple of years ago. Thanks Steve. I then upgrade to a Citation 7.0 (awesome) then, in retrospect, downgraded to a H/K Signature 2.0, and, finally, the DC2. The Citation/Fosgate units are excellent, but, IMHO, the Lexicon units are superior. I am not a 2 channel purists, I listen to music logic for all music, but I believe the 2 channel will blow away you H/K 520. To receive the full benefit of Logic and Music 7, you really need to run a 7.1 setup, but it will still sound great without it. I still have give a slight advantage on 2 channel stereo to the Citation/Fosgate units, but Logic 7 is definitely superior to 6 axis. If you decide your aren't satisfied with your DC1, let me know. I will buy it for my family room! Enjoy you DC1!!

Jeff H

Stunt Coordinator
Stephan, I tried to open your HT link and got an error. Do you have an updated website? Thanks, Jeff

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
My description may have been a little harsh :), but I would still get a Lex over the Outlaw any day.
Unfortunately my webpage was eaten by Photopoint, along with all the pictures of my HT. There are a few on the updated link.
Steve

Daniel_Myles

Agent
Jeff,
More speakers you say... Ok, here'e what I have right now. Fronts are Mirage M3si, Center MCsi, rears are Energy C6. SO here's my question, Since all my speakers are full range, should I invest in another pair of full range rears for logic7? Or could I get away with something like the smaller Mirage OM-R2's.

Dan

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Dan,

The DC-1 is a great unit but IMHO better suited for HT than music--2 chn music anyway. It doesn't have an analog bypass, and the DACs, as you mentioned, are a bit dated.

I was using a Granite Audio CDP with tubed output section (Model 657). This CDP is capable of driving amps directly. I several times compared sending the analog output from the CDP to the DC-1 vs. wiring from the CDP straight to the amps, and the differences were, unfortunately, big. Digital from the CDP to the DC-1 vs. the CDP straight to the amps was similar. Up to that point I'd been very happy with the DC-1.

I upgraded my pre/pro to a Theta Casablanca II and found that my 2 chn music listening was tremendously improved. Very little difference between going to the amps directly vs. passing the signal through the CB2, and digital to the CB2 was almost as good as the 657's analog output (not quite; this was using a Theta Xtreme DAC).

A CB2 however is far, far more expensive than a DC-1 (particularly the deal you found).

So enjoy the heck out of the DC-1 for HT, and if you ever wonder about music, maybe try an inexpensive 2 chn (tube?) preamp mixed into your system. . .

Regards,

Mike

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Congrats on the DC-1!:emoji_thumbsup: You will find it is one of the best pre/pros on the market for HT.I used to be a reciever person until I went with seperates. My first pre/pro was the B&K Ref 30 which was a nice pre/pro.When Ricky and John T jumped on the Lex band wagon they convinced me to try the MC-1.I am glad I listened!For HT I don't think Logic 7 can be beat especially for DSS and 2.0 sources.I still have to check and see if a program is in 5.1 or 2.0 they do sound close with L7.Now all you need is a great Amp!
Enjoy:D
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks