What's new

Lexicon DC-1 or Outlaw Preamp? (1 Viewer)

Christopher_Ham

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a version 2.1 dc-1 with DTS, dd, and thx. I can purchase the THX EX upgrade for 250.00. I still won't have DTS ES, but I do have Logic 7. On the other hand I could sell this unit and purchase an Outlaw preamp which has EX, ES, but no thx. I want to upgrade to an Lexicon MC-8, but unfortunatly my wife wants to go to Hawaii instead, so it will be awhile. For pure DD and DTS processing is the Outlaw as good as the DC 1, or is its only advantage over it is it having DTS ES, because I can get the EX upgrade for the DC-1.

I am currently running:
Lexicon Dc-1 DD, THX, DTS
ATI 1505 Amp
ATI 1502 Amp
Pioneer Elite DVD
Def Tech BP 8's
Def Tech CLR 2002
Def Tech BPx.1's
SVS PB2+
Monster Cable
Audio Quest interconnects

Steve Lumbert

Stunt Coordinator
I just upgraded to an Outlaw 950 last month. So far, it has exceeded my expectations and is an excellent value. It offers a lot more than my old Adcom GTP-740 and I would recommend it to anybody.

Personally, I find it hard to compare Lexicon with Outlaw since Lexicon is deep into the high-end range. You may miss the calibration features of the Lexicon. I it were me, I would probably upgrade the Lexicon.

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
I owned the Lex and bought the Outlaw but returned it within thirty days well over a year ago. I thought they sounded very similar. The Outlaw has analog inputs for each source and multichannel inputs for DVD-A and SACD. Bass managment is better with the Outlaw and has such management for the DVD-A inputs too which is unusual. For me the problem was the interface. Unlike Lex, the Outlaw does not remember which processing mode you want for each source. Whatever mode you last used will be present the next time you use it regardless of source (movie v. cd). You can't name the sources either. No logic 7 which was a big deal for me. Hated the remote but I use another universal anyway. But the Outlaw is $800! If your interest is primarily movies and you have no intent to go DVD-A or SACD, I would stay with the Lex :b Of course you have to decide but the fact you want the MC8 tells me you are a Lexicon guy. It says a lot about the DC 1 that it is at least three generations old and it still is a great pre/pro for movie use.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I would seriously look at the NAD-T163. It is a no frills processor but a very good value for money. If music is of any importance to you then it would be a very good choice. NAD also offers a "preset" system where in the preset remembers not only your DSPs, etc. but also you speaker settings, Tone controls and a lot more.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
For me the problem was the interface. Unlike Lex, the Outlaw does not remember which processing mode you want for each source. Whatever mode you last used will be present the next time you use it regardless of source (movie v. cd)
That's incorrect!You can select any mode to any input and it will "remember".

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
The 950 offers newer DACS, pretty much all the newest sound formats, Anaolg Inputs for high rez audio, and double bass management to boot!!!

On a pure Dolby Digital standpoint, I don't think you would hear major differences, but if you need the newer sound formats, and the flexibility of Bass Mang. for high rez audio, consider the 950....

I have owned an MC-1 as well as a 950. The 950 is an outstanding deal for the money, but most Lexicon Owners will tell you they almost never switch once a Lex fan.....

RAF, my Admin brother here will attest to how sweet his Lexicon MC8 sounds.... It's the Rolls Royce of PreAMps!!!

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
" I can purchase the THX EX upgrade for 250.00. I still won't have DTS ES"

Actually you will. V4 on the DC-1 added THX EX and DTS ES.

What you won't have is DTS ES 6.1 Discrete.

Shawn

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Joe, as rogo mentioned, yu can get the NAD for anywhere between $1250 - 1300 and is a great prepro at that price.

Christopher_Ham

Stunt Coordinator
I appreciate all your comments. One question, does the outlaw or NAD have a Dialogue enhance or a compression mode for night listening?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I appreciate all your comments. One question, does the outlaw or NAD have a Dialogue enhance or a compression mode for night listening?
DRC or Dynamic Range Compression is a Dolby Digital[also called Night Mode] mandate,to my knowledge all DD certified products has it.
Dialog Enhance is a sort of DSP and it's brand specific.I believe NAD[Outlaw for sure] don't have this.
Rogo,
who sells the NAD for that price is that new?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The major limiting factor with the Lexicon (for me) would be the lack of inputs for high-res multichannel audio. If you want to listen to multichannel DVD-A or SACD you're out of luck with the DC-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks