Replace my aging Lexicon DC-1 with Outlaw 950?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Christopher_Ham, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Christopher_Ham

Christopher_Ham Stunt Coordinator

I have a Lexicon DC-1 DD,DTS,THX EX, version 4.0 preamp. I watch movies 99 % and music very, very little. My budget right now is severely limited so an Outlaw is my only real choice. Movie wise, the only thing my Lexi is missing is DTS ES, and DLP II. But the Logic 7 on my unit is awesome. My question is, am I going to hear a significant difference between the two, or is my Lexi as a HT processor only still a good unit?

My system
    Lexicon DC-1 4.0
    ATI 1505 5 x 150w
    ATI 1502 2 x 150w
    Denon 2200 DVD
    Def Tech Bp8's main
    Def Tech clr 2002 center
    Def tech bp2x surrounds
    Def Tech DCS 5 Rears
    SVS pb 2+
    Acoustic Research interconnects and Speaker Cable
    Toshiba 60"

My desicion will be greatly influenced by your responses

2. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

I wouldn't unless you needed 5.1 inputs for DVD-A or SACD, both of which are for music which you don't listen much. If you tend to use L7 for watching all of your movies, then you're not gaining anything by switching to a 950. L7 is similar to DPL IIx which the 950 doesn't even have.

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

From what I have read the DC1 is a great machine. Since you have Version 4 you have all the basics(DD, DTS) and you have logic 7.
    Like Gordon mentioned the only gain is inputs and since you don't listen to music I see no reason for the 950.....keep the
    Lexicon.....

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I'd go for a used MC-1/DC-2, otherwise keep the DC-1.

IMO, the CES modes on the Outlaw are good, but not quite the rival of Logic 7. (I had a 950, and now I have an MC-8.)

Can't you apply the THX EX processing to DTS to get pseudo DTS-ES?

5. Christopher_Ham

Christopher_Ham Stunt Coordinator

A Mc-8 is what I really want, but the wife wants some home upgrades first. Can you tell a huge difference between the Logic 7 and or THX ex as opposed to the discrete ES?

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yes and no.

In general, I do prefer the THX modes for Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES over Logic 7 (... specifically for 6.1 DD EX/DTS-ES encoded soundtracks). On the soundtracks where I've done the comparison, the 1st two LOTRs, I think the EX/ES modes give a better separation between the rears and the surrounds in terms of what's going on back there.

But have I ever listened for or tested between matrixed THX EX vs discrete DTS-ES? Not really.

Maybe Sanjay, Shawn, or Philip are out there? Or anyone else who has generically done the comparison (minus L7).

7. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

No way would I trade in a Lex for an Outlaw. [​IMG]

8. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

I have done some comparisons between DTS-ES discrete and DTS-EX matrix with THX applied. Maybe this is normal, but my receiver will not allow me to apply THX processing to DTS-ES discrete soundtracks. I've tried the first two Lord of the Rings and Blade II.

Frankly, I can tell very little difference between the DTS matrix and discrete. I really like what THX does, so any minimal advantage there may be with the DTS 6.1 discrete is negated by losing THX processing. As I understand it, a DTS 6.1 discrete soundtrack also has the rear center channel split equally and put in the left and right surround channels. So, knowing that, and assuming your processor's rear center channel steering is operating properly when in THX EX mode, there shouldn't be a huge difference between ES and ES discrete.

Aaron Gilbert

9. RickRichardson

RickRichardson Auditioning

I have used both the Lexicon DC-1 and the Outlaw in my system, and I thought the Lexicon was far superior. The Outlaw sounded grainy by comparison and had far less flexibility in shaping the sound. If it were me, I would keep the Lex for a year of so, by which time there will be some very reasonably price pre/pro's that have all the bells and whistles, including PLIIx.