What's new

So You Think You Can Dance: Season 4 (1 Viewer)

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
ok, perhaps pouting was the wrong choice, perhaps melodramatic is what I was looking for. Just watching from home it seemed a bit over the top and felt like he was so shocked he could be in the bottom 2, with only 4 guys, you would think they would sort of be prepared for this. I am sure it was genuine and wasnt thought out or anything. It just seemed a little over the top to me.

I hear what you guys are saying about Will, technically he is amazing but the personality might not be there fully. Plus, they are searching for Americas "favorite" dancer, not the best.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was like, get over yourself, Twitch, when he went into that little boy spazz fit after he got the semi-bad news.

Mark's reaction was pretty funny, though, since he expected to be in the bottom two, and ended up in the top two. Must be that Hawaiian vote that kept Jasmine Trias in the AI game 4 years ago.

Do we know how strong Katee is in ballroom style dances? I'm trying to remember if she did anything like foxtrot or quickstep or some latin number with Josh before America was voting them out.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Will is definitely a reserved person by nature, but it doesn't impact my appreciation of his skill at all. IMO, he should have been the last male standing.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Katee had a Waltz, a Samba, and a WC Swing dance with Josh. It's the lowest amount of ballroom type dances out of all remaining contestants. The WC Swing number was a mess, but she was great in the other two, so I imagine she can pull off anything since she's shown she can do smooth and latin/hip action stuff. Quickstep or Foxtrot really depends on her partner.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Somebody must be math challenged. Half the dancers were going to be in the bottom group, so why the shock?

Do we get Debbie Allen as a judge now?

I love the FDR idea. It's a dance which will live in infamy.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Mark and Courtney - Their waltz was done very well, and their jazz routine was very entertaining. They have good chemistry together.

Joshua and Katee - Their contemporary was a home run, I got goose bumps through many of the lifts which were art in motion. Their paso doble was solid. They have unbelievable timing and trust in one another.

Twitch and Chelsie - Solid mambo, fun hip-hop. Twitch was a little lost in rumba, but Chelsie easily kept up with Twitch in the hip-hop number.

It's sad that 2 of these dancers won't make the final, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mark pulls an upset (over Twitch), but I think Courtney will be going home tomorrow night.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Geez, it warms this tarding heart that Jason Gilkison, choreographer extraordinaire from the Australian version of SYTYCD made his way to the USA to choreograph a couple of numbers for tonight’s show. Yes, I was jonesing for some SYTYCD action while Idol 7 was finishing its death spiral, so I ended up downloading and watching the entire first season run of the Australian version. And Jason had a stand out piece week in and week out, including this samba that was all kinds of crazy great. Now we just need Supple to come over (from London, actually) and I will be in SYTYCD tard heaven. Supple + Mark + Katee = Asian Overload. Don’t you think Mark and Katee could pull off a number like this? Nigel & Co, ignore my suggestion at your (yellow) peril.

Speaking of which, isn’t it becoming very evident that they’re trying to engineer a Twitch/Josh/Katee/Chelsie top four? They’ve paired Mark with the least popular female left three weeks running, and then put them in the lead off spot. Then they’re given a Waltz, the least memorable of the ballroom dances (although my man Jason did choreograph the best waltz this year). Mark was very good, and very elegant if a bit stiff in the upper body, but Courtney’s performance was more workmanlike, lacking the kind of grace and elegance that Katee brought to her Waltz – I never felt like Courtney was dancing off of the floor or gliding – she was just meh for me.

If the Waltz isn’t enough of a handicap, the couple also got saddled with a Sonya Tayeh piece. I know some people like her work, but I find it all purposelessly weird, and America isn’t all that thrilled with her work either – Matt & Kourtni were bottom three after theirs and Gev got the boot after his. Being a known kiss of death choreographer, I wonder if Nigel & Co hired her just to derail Mark’s attempt at unseating Twitch. Oh well – at least they didn’t get a Cicley and Olisa hip hop number. Mark can pull off weird, and the odd movements seemed more natural coming from him. Courtney was a fish out of water for me. I didn’t actually get anything she was trying or supposed to be trying to convey emotionally. Mark’s lascivious expression to the camera while standing behind a bent over Courtney had more substance than pretty much all of Courtney’s routines from this season put together. She’s just kind of “there” for me, taking up space. And seeing how two weeks of scolding and criticism only served to increase Mark’s vote totals through sympathy and judge backlash, the panel took a different tack tonight and actually praised his performances. Nothing like the kind of, “you’re going to the finals!” stuff they dished out to Josh and Katee, but praise nonetheless.

On one hand, Tyce’s contemporary piece for the reunited Katee and Joshua was chock full of interesting shapes and complicated lifts. On that level, it satisfied the trick whore in me, and I would definitely watch it again. As a work of art, however, it doesn’t really do anything for me, as it seems more like a jumble of lifts and shapes. It seemed like Tyce’s answer to Mia Michaels piece for Joshua and Katee, and compared to that one, this one lacked cohesion and purpose. I did think it was better than the Will & Jessica routine, however (and much, much better executed). Joshua is so strong, and Katee is fearless. Katee has been a part of the three most physically demanding pieces this season, and Joshua was there for her in two of them. I can overlook the slight booble on one of the last lifts. I mean, this isn’t figure skating – one bobble doesn’t negate the totality of the performance.

I know that Joshua appears to have some sort of hidden training, but the truth is, aside from a few summer courses here and there, Josh is not what you would call a formally trained dancer. Mia remarked in an interview that he’s untrained and raw, but that he can fake it really well. It’s still surprising to see him pull off some of the things he’s been given – this Paso Doble was performed with authority, and whenever Josh and Katee have synchronized sections, I am always impressed with their synchrony. Tonight was no different, synchronizing two sections of footwork and spins perfectly. And Josh finally got the chance to dance with his shirt off – for some reason, I thought he would be a bit more doughy than he is. But no, he’s actually all buff and cut – he looks like Baby Hulk. With manscaping.

I had to watch Chelsie and Twitch’s mambo twice – the first time, it was all about Chelsie. Wow. Just smoking hot. The second time, I watched Twitch. Zero hip action, zero technical aptitude, and quite frankly, a laughable performance. He mostly stood around as Chelsie danced around him, which is the only way Twitch could get away with a number like this. Seeing as how this is the worst ballroom performance since Cedric, I was curious as to how the judges would comment. The thing is, they bent over backwards to give him props for degree of difficulty, and that, in a nutshell, is total bullshit. Did they cut Mark and Kherington any slack for their miserable Two Step? Did they cut any slack to any couple for a Quickstep? Nope. So why this? It’s disgraceful. Judges, have some semblance of neutrality. These double standards, and as they apply to Twitch, are making a mockery of the judging. “Sold it with his face” my ass. He tanked hard. Very hard. And she back lead him all the way. But that’s okay, because whenever Twitch gets something he can’t do, the judges make excuses and then give him a hip hop number to finish the night.

Speaking of which, that was the worst hip hop routine I’ve seen this season. I’d rather watch Will & Jessica’s Cicely & Olisa routine over again that this mess. I’d rather see Rayven pull down Jamie’s pants for a second time than sit through this idiotically conceived crap. For one thing, there was little actual hip hop dancing in it, and there was entirely too much standing around and mugging. I mean, having Twitch just stand around in Mia Michael’s contemporary pieces is one thing – why is Twitch doing large swaths of nothing but waving his arms during a hip hop piece? Just how much protecting does he need? Chelsie was no better nor any worse than, say, Kherington. Then again, she danced in maybe a third of the time allotted for the routine, so who knows. And the judges? Oh, they think Twitch was awesome. What sucky, sucky judges.

BTW, May’s got to lay off the excessive tanning. She’s starting to look like Magda from There’s Something About Mary.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I thought the Waltz was actually one of the highlights of the night (though, I think Mark will most likely be gone), with regards to both the choreography, and the dancing. As was commented by Nigel (I think), the rise and fall was extremely well done - perhaps the best I've seen on the show. There were some pretty technical tricks in that waltz that professionals would scared to do (and not just because they aren't very "waltzy"). The moves were executed so effortlessly, that I think a lot of people overlooked their difficulty.

cheers!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It was a great Waltz, easily the best choreographed and performed this season. But in the end, it's a waltz, and unless you're a big fan, it's kind of a forgettable dance because it lacks spectacle. Being slotted in the lead off spot doesn't help matters.

I am hoping that Twitch does go tonight, but it's hard to tell because I read blogs and summaries on the net, and they mostly fall in lock step with the judges. Which means that a lot of voters probably think Twitch is deserving of a spot in the top four. That is all kinds of wrong and unfair.

I think between Courtney and Chelsie, it's 50/50 as to who's going home. I hope Chelsie stays, but not even she could make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Chelsie's solo tonight was dazzling, it's a damn shame she wasn't voted into the final 4. I guess all that pimping of Twitch by the jidges doomed Mark to the sidelines as well.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I was surprised (and bummed) that Chelsie didn't make the cut. It's between Joshua and Katee at this point. I love both of them, too. Should make for a great finale.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I know most people don't like Twitch, but he entertains me. That said I hope 2 things happen next week:
1. Twitch and Joshua get a Shane Sparks routine
2. Joshua wins

The things Joshua can do with no training are amazing, and he just seems like a really decent person with a great personality. Plus he'll fulfill Nigel's wish for an untrained street dancer to steal the show.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I still can't believe Cat Deeley popped in Twitch's crunk teeth after his solo. She has grown on me as a host, though, and it's a shame she didn't get an emmy nomination (considering there are a few a-hats in the reality TV host category).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm coming in pretty late to this program but was drawn in, mostly by Chelsie's crazy, twirling red dress. But it has a lot of other great things - Cat Deeley is an excellent host and the variety of dance styles that get showcased reveal a real sense of respect for and understanding of the art. I like how they regularly recognize the choreographers and bring in professionals for the entertainment pieces. The judges also seem to know what they're talking about, speaking with authority without being cruel. I basically grew weary of American Idol for NOT being all of those things, so it's nice to find a reality program that is as slick but classier about the whole thing.

But I suppose all of you knew this already.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Here's my prediction for the finals:

Josh gets Smooth Waltz or something similarly unmemorable plus a Sonja Jazz piece or a Tyce Broadway, the kind where he just runs around like an idiot. Krump with Twitch (it's hip hop, but most viewers don't like it).

Twitch gets a paso with Courtney, something where he can stand around and do nothing but gets points for being "surprisingly good" and having "really pulled it off" (even though he isn't anywhere near good). Krump with Josh, and then a hip hop with Katee where he outdances her.

Just for good measure, they overhype Josh and Katee so they get less rabid responses from their fans. Whatever it is, Twitch's group will be in full force. He will win. Of all the fanbases, it is Twitch's that is the most forgiving, as they don't seem to know good dance from bad. They just vote for his shuck and jive routine, and it doesn't matter at all if he actually produced quality dancing or not.

And then it will officially be the Worst. Season. Of. SYTYCD. EVAR.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Well I think this is the best season of the show, personally. Both in terms of dancing quality, and choreography.

I assume that for the finale, they will be bring their "big guns" to bear. And as such, I doubt Sonja will have a routine, nor will crumping or the quickstep rear their ugly faces. Instead, Tabitha and Napoleon (who I think do the best work, outside of the now-absent Wade Robson) will suredly have at least one routine, if not two (a slow, and a fast hip-hop). Mia will have at least one, as will Jean-Marc, Mandy Moore, and Tyce. Tony Meridith and Alex Da Silva are possible substitutions. Of course, there may be a special gues choregrapher, such as Shane or Wade (one can only hope!).

In the end, Joshua will win.

I know half of your comments are to be taken with a grain of salt (and hopefully you don't mistake some of my snide comments in your direction as anything other than playing along), but I think you're a little harsh on Twitch
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Was he a better dancer than the likes of Mark or Gev? Nah. But I personally enjoyed watching him, shtick and all, more than those two (among others).

The winner, at least in my opinion, will be the dancer who can scoop up the votes from Chelsea and Mark's fans. Hopefully that will be Joshua (who has been my fav since the start).

cheers!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I think vote scooping is a myth. Either Mark and Chelsie fans will be too pissed to vote for anyone and allow more calls to come through for fans of the other dancers or they will vote for whomever they percieve as performing the best. But then again, unless you have rabid fans, you really can't stumble at all. So who has the most rabid fans? Twitch. It doesn't matter to them if he dances well or not. Considering they voted for him all these weeks, not dancing well isn't an issue. Twitch is so useless that even his hip hop dancing has become suspect. It's like if Sanjaya made it to the final four.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

It has caused me to at least rethink how I feel about AI. I hate that the singers are forced into different genres in AI, but somehow I'm liking the dancers being forced into different styles in SYTYCD. All I come up with is that I have a reasonable level of knowledge about music, and I don't want to see (say) David Archuletta singing hard rock. But I've enjoyed seeing Joshua and Comfort pull of their dances when they've been able to do it.

BTW, David Muraine is an interesting aside to the show. I almost feel like there was an ulterior motive with showcasing him. If he's ever watched the show, he had to know what he was going to be asked to do. I believe the producers knew he dropped out before they ever aired an episode of this season. He could have easily been edited out. The question I most wanted to hear someone ask, "Well then why did you audition?" still hangs in the air for me. Unless maybe they just wanted people to see him dance on the show. It wouldn't even surprise me if a rep of the show asked him to come audition. Conspiracy much? :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks