What's new

So who has The Party? (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I breezed through some of it this afternoon. Picture quality was variable in the early going, but seemed to improve and even out in latter sections. Audio OK. At the price, I'd say go for it.

I've got it.

Oh, did you want more of an answer? Okay. If you read the review in DVD File you know it was pretty mixed. But really, what sort of humorless sourpuss is going to be less than ecstatic about The Party? I've seen this film projected several times and there are fewer more glorious sounds than listening to people literally scream with laughter during this movie.

As for the DVD itself, the weird thing is the DVD File review was actually a little more favorable than I would be about the image quality. I know this colorful film doesn't exactly look like three-strip technicolor, but I can't help but think that it could have looked a little better than it does here. The image is a little soft and the materials don't always seem to be in tip-top shape. The sound is fine, all things considered.

The only extra is a theatrical trailer, which contains a few shots not found in the film. Really, I love this film so I wish there could have been more, such as a Blake Edwards commentary or even a featurette containing interviews with Edwards and even somebody like Gavin MacLeod(prominent in the cast and certainly still with us) looking back on the making of the film.

On the other hand, when I think about how much this must have cost on laserdisc compared with the small amount I paid...well, I won't complain too much. I have The Party, letterboxed, to watch as many times as I want. So even with few extras, I'll say forget about Jurassic Park III and Rush Hour 2. This is the DVD release of the week.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
OK then, as long it isn't absolute junk. I'm going to go buy a bunch of copies, for myself and for gifts.

I have The Party, letterboxed, to watch as many times as I want.
It isn't anamorphic widescreen? The link I gave up earlier in the thread says "16:9 widescreen"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks