What's new

So, shortly after my friend leaves I begin to *seethe*. (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
...and my husband takes it in the bathroom and cleans it thoroughly before it goes into the drive.
I'm sorry, Vickie, but I had to laugh! Is that where you guys keep the special DVD-Decontamination-Devices? I know: the lighting is good, and the tissues/TP are very soft!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Seriously Jack, no grief here. Are such extreme reactions really necessary? You had a bad experience with one couple who wanted to borrow doscs, so you flatly refuse to loan or borrow anything with anyone? Don't you have any friends who are trustworthy? Isn't it worth it to spread interest in good movies and occasionally see one without buying it? Sure, occasionally (rarely, by my experience) rentals are not in good shape, but because a friend once rented one disc that was cracked, you flatly refuse to rent anything? I keep alcohol and soft polishing cloths with the equipment in case I see a disc with something on it. If I loan a disc out and it doesn't come back in perfect condition, I don't loan to that person anymore.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Axiom: No one will take as good care of your DVDs (or any other property) as you will. For my no lend/no borrow policy I make no apologies whatsoever. I am not a rental outlet. So there.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I try to maintain a no-loan policy not because I'm afraid the disks will be ruined, but because all my friends are also friends with each other so it would be impossible to lend out just a few disks. I dont want to have 10+ disks loaned out at a time. Now if they want to pay me $5 for three days to borrow a disk... but I think that actually might be illegal.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't blame Jack. We wouldn't lend out our DVDs either (if we knew anyone else here who had a DVD player, which we don't).

Angelo, he washes them with good old soap and water. :)

MikeM

Screenwriter
Axiom: No one will take as good care of your DVDs (or any other property) as you will.
It's funny because I have a good buddy who's totally ANAL about DVDs. I'm not. I find it funny actually. I know he's the exception to the rule, but he even spins the DVD back so that the cover art is facing correctly when he returns my DVDs. He's a good guy, and I have absolutely no doubt that he takes care of my DVDs better than I do. :D

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Axiom: No one will take as good care of your DVDs (or any other property) as you will. For my no lend/no borrow policy I make no apologies whatsoever. I am not a rental outlet. So there.
You'r preaching to the choir! Amen brother;)

My dvds are stored behind closed cabinets so that way no can comment on how many I have, sure some folks may drink or smoke, my vice is dvds and home theatre.

I just friends over and they brought over "Volcano" with Tommy Lee Jones. They loved it, but the whole movie was implausible.
When they asked what I thought of it, I said it was "entertaining". Nuff said.

And when friends get sarcastic, just remember...sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I've had that one thrown in my face a few times and boy does it ever sting;)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
"When you can clean the litterbox, without dropping a grain of sand...it will be time for you to leave"
I accomplish this herculean task nearly each day!

But I *still* cannot figure out WHY, oh WHY, every litterbox ever made comes in the proverbial "we've added 4 extra corners with the addition of these 4 useless pieces of plastic which create 'jutting out' areas, so that it's twice as difficult to clean out the box, because, as we know, every cat has to re-locate his/her soiled clumps into the corners" type of box.

Now that's more annoying than a "get a bigger TV" friend! :D:):D

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Another thought:

If you're concerned about how a friend might handle a DVD, why not just ask them to be careful with it. Radical thought, eh? Actually explaining to your buddy that you want your things kept nicely and asking him/her to comply. If you sense that things aren't going to go well, you politely withdraw the offer.

A friendship should survive such an exchange.

Gotta run. I'm going shopping for some noble gases so I can build a non-oxidation chamber in which to handle my DVDs. What do you think? Argon, xenon, krypton?...

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
My true friends are more important to me than mere posessions.

No, I don't loan DVD to simple aquaintances, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

You cannot take it with you. Live is short.

And no, none of my friends treat other people's belongings like crap.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Angelo,

Nitrogen is inert, heavier than air and cheaper than the other ones you mentioned. You can get a tank pretty easily.

;)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I used to have a no borrowing rule, which was easy to enforce since none of my friends had a DVD player in New York. WHen I move up here, this friend of mine whole live here was instrumental in getting me setup, finding me an apartment, droping me to work the first few days when I didn't have a car etc...

Then she asks to borrow a couple of my movies. How could I possibly say no? So the rule went out the window, and frankly I don't miss it at all. WHen the packaging is a delicate one (Fight Club), I simply put the DVD itself in a generic case, or even a cd case et voila!

--
Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks