Snow White -when will Walt Disney bring out a HDef version of this classic movie?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Muir Hewitt, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Muir Hewitt

Muir Hewitt Extra

I'm wondering what Disney will do to mark the 70th Anniversary of the first release date of
    Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs
    in 2007 - are there plans afoot to produce a new Hi Defintion transfer a la Warner Bros latest version of The Wizard Of Oz, which pulled out all the stops picture and audio wise?

Or is Disney holding off until all the releases in their Platinum DVD series are out and waiting until the 75th Anniversary of it's first animated classic?

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Snow White looks absolutely frickin' amazing to me. The Platinum Edition already had the film remastered in high-definition but was downconverted for DVDs resolution. The only way I can think of to improve it is to see it on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD in its full high-definition glory.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The Cinesite restoration was performed at 4K, so they can source from that again.

The LDI restoration was performed only at standard def PAL res (24fps, though).

4. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Muir, like you said above...

My guess is that this will be released when all of the Platinum Edition movies have been released.

5. Muir Hewitt

Muir Hewitt Extra

I would like the Disney Studios to fully animate the
    Music In Your Soup song which exists in pencil
    test animation form, and have this sequence as one of the extras on the next DVD release of Snow White!!

However I dread the day Disney announce a sequel to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - how they would do that goodness knows - maybe the Witch on the way to falling to her death catches a branch and clambers her way back up the mountainside - God forbid!!

6. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

It'll focus on Snow White's daughter, and her forbidden love for an older, and much shorter man. [​IMG]

8. James_M

James_M Stunt Coordinator

9. Jon Baker

Jon Baker Stunt Coordinator

In looking at the upcoming release schedule for Disney DVDs I see that "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" Platinum edition will be re-released in October 2009 along with a Blu-Ray edition.

Pinocchio is scheduled for March 2009 in both formats and Beauty and the Beast in 2010.

I'm wondering if the new DVD release of SW (not the Blu-Ray) will be an improvement over the existing platinum edition. I've been starting to collect the animated Disney titles and wondering if it will be worth the wait.