small home theater setup, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BryanWiatrak, Jan 7, 2002.

1. BryanWiatrak

BryanWiatrak Auditioning

I'm a n00b at home theater stuff and i'm in HS so i don't have that much $$$ to spend. Also, this will be for my bedroom (which is pretty small) so i don't need anything great.
    I will be picking up this tv soon: http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=28
    Now i need speakers/sub and a reciever
    Since i don't have that much $$$ to spend, i was thinking about getting a home theater in a box. Are there any good ones for under $500?
    I was also thinking about saving up some more and putting it togeather piece by piece.
    I was looking at Klipsch SYNERGY SERIES speakers/subs, those any good?
    I would also like Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Pro Logic decoding
    Any suggestions would be great,
    Bryan

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi bryan -

welcome to the forum. this is a great place to hang!

without a doubt, probably the most popular htb system is the kenwood htb-504. i don't have a lot of experience with htb's, but i've heard the kenwood myself and must admit it sounded pretty darn good.

if you absolutely want to go that route, i would give it a serious consideration.

personally, i think your second option is better. going separates is absolutely the way to go. you'll get better flexibility and performance (especially with regards to speakers). of course, you'll spend a little more. but i always tell people to piece the system together slowly. i think they'll be happier in the long run.

post out in the receivers and speakers forums. ask for recommendations...i'm sure you'll get some replies.

good luck!

3. BryanWiatrak

BryanWiatrak Auditioning

4. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

I dont have a model number for you but, Yamaha has a new HTB out. The place where I get my movies from also sells electronics and he has this system set up. Every time I go in he has something playing on it. It sounds pretty good!