What's new

Small Form Factor Computer (1 Viewer)

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I'd like a small computer. I like the shapes of the small form factor ones I see in various places on the internet.
In terms of use.. mainly just internet and word processing. No home theater stuff necessary. Maybe some games.
I want it to be as quiet as possible.
I'm not sure I have many other needs....
Would one recommend I buy a prebuilt unit? If so, particular brands? Or build one? I'm a novice here...

Thanks for suggestions.
Chris

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
You could always build yourself a very small mini-itx computer. You wont be doing much gaming on it (and what you will be wont be current). Check out http://www.mini-itx.com You can build a fanless small system, just be lacking in raw power which you say you're not after. I plan to build a couple myself.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I'd go with a Shuttle of some kind. There are several types and looks to choose from, depending on what you want inside it (performance-wise.)

http://us.shuttle.com/

Mac minis are pretty enough I guess but if games are any kind of priority, you want a PC.

If the Internet access and word processing bit is the vast majority of what you do, if you have no pre-existing PC software licenses or games you want to use and games are an afterthought then perhaps the Mac might be right for you after all.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Why not get a laptop if games aren't a concern? Not only is it small and all in one, but it can go with you.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Agreed.

I was going to say the Mac mini, but when you take into account a monitor, mouse and keyboard, it's not nearly as self contained as a laptop (though still quite small).

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Yeah, but who wants to use a laptop keyboard if you can avoid it? Cramped, bad "feel" to the keys and as non-ergonomic as you can get this side of a medieval torture device.

So assuming you want a decent keyboard, you probably want a mouse too instead of a touchpad or something. Then you realize that the laptop screen isn't that great and you may as well get a real screen.

Suddenly you have the laptop off to the side, closed and are using it as a desktop anyway... so why pay extra for the ability to compute on the go if you're not going to be on the go more than exceedingly occasionally?

Seth--L

Screenwriter

The only thing I miss on my laptop keyboard is the number pad. I type about 50 pages a month on it with no problem. I bought an external keyboard two years ago thinking that I would use it to type with. I went on vacation about a month later, took my laptop with me, and since then never hoocked the keyboard back up.

I agree that a mouse is a better than a touch pad.

There is nothing wrong with new laptop screens. Their quality is excellent.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I love scissor style keys of the laptop variety. I use a Kensington on my PC and love it. Of course I bought the white mac version instead of the black PC one since CompUSA didn't have them in stock and miss my print screen key.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Well, many laptop screens still have contrast level deficiencies, ie black isn't all that black on some and so forth. Nothing wrong with crispness, admittedly. Some of us do prefer larger than 15 inch screens though (as in, 19 or 21...)

As for keyboards... I for one use an aggressively split ergonomic keyboard and because of that, I no longer lose all sensation in half of my right hand after a few hours of work. That, of course, is because my carpal tunnel (through which all the nerves pass from your hand up your arm) is no longer twisted and pinched nearly closed due to me contorting my hands to fit a plain straight flat keyboard.

I'm not knocking laptops. I have one myself as a secondary machine. I just don't see the point in getting one if what you need is a stationary machine, you just pay more for portability you may never need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks