What's new

Sliders Season 3!! (1 Viewer)

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
I was very excited to read this morning on tvshowsondvd.com that Universal is going ahead with Sliders season 3. I was afraid that sales of the first set hadn't been what they expected. I always loved this show, and I'll be first in line to pick up season 3 in July!

Bryan

Alex Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
im excited for this too.

and i am glad i waited to buy the first set. the original price was just too much.

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
Whooo hoo! they're lowering the price for season 1, now I can finally buy it.

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
Missed the news about the price reduction on seasons 1/2 (although it wouldn't really matter as I already have it). At least I used a gift certificate when I got it .... :)

Bryan

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator
Any word on how much of a price drop and the price of season 3?

Season 3 looks quite good, probably the last good season for the series. I'd definatly pick that one up. If the price drop is good for 1/2 I'd pick that one up as well

ya i was worried about sales of season 1/2 with the price being so high... i put off buying it for that specific reason, so i'm definitely glad to see season 3 being released with a lower price

and the cut to the 1/2 seasons price won't be too bad either. I guess it was that case design that cost the extra $30 :P

Eric F

Screenwriter
Maybe they repackaged the 1/2 seasons in a normal box?

I really hope S3 comes packaged normally. Decent pricing will help.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Season 3 will be packaged normally... they will still have one side see through... but instead of discs that look to be floating... they will be in an orange book-like holder. (Think Smallville)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Thanks for the Review David!...

I was also once again disappointed with the packaging. I had such high hopes when they announced it would be in a book-style case.. but they still managed to mess it up!

I am watching this set now... on Side A of Disc 2 now... I forgot that alot of my favorite episodes is in the 3rd season!

Unlike alot of ppl I know... I am wanting to stick this series out to the very end and collect all 5 seasons... hopefully next season they will finally get the packaging right!
:angry:

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The best episodes of the 3rd season (of which they are FEW) are not any of those 3 listed. Those that are include "Dead Man Sliding". That was the last great episode from the 3rd year because it resembled what SLIDERS USED to be during its first 2 seasons: Our heroes dealing with their doubles. In that case it involved Quinn Mallory being accused of a murder his double alledgedly committed. Arturo defends his friend on nationwide television!

The "evil slider" Colonel Angus Rickman (played by former The Who singer Roger Daltrey in the 2-part "Exodus" that introduced Kari Wurher as Captain Maggie Beckett) and later by Neil Dixon was an entertaining storyline that was mostly post-Arturo. The problematic episodes before and during that arc were those that were not so much parodies of movies but HORROR movies. The fact that those were parallel Earths had no relevance. "The Breeder" was also a disaster, in which Maggie is possessed by a parasitic creature that craves sex in order to survive. Not just ripping off the movie species but an Outer Limits episode with Alyssa Milano. Both did it much better than SLIDERS (although seeing Maggie naked behind a glass door in a shower stall was nice).

The season premiere was also well-done as were a few other episodes, but the 3rd season (1996-1997) is easily the worst in the series overall. It's unfortunate that it has more episodes than any other, the last produced for the FOX network before moving to The Sci-Fi Channel for 2 more years.

Two plusses to the 3rd season:

1. An exciting new theme song, which remained for the rest of the series (and was even expanded for the following season).

2. The series moved production from Vancouver to Hollywood.

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
How is moving from Vancouver to Hollywood a plus? I've seen so much of the Universal backlot that it gets really distracting.

"Hey look, Quinn is in that same alley as Joe Friday/Marty McFly/that guy from the Twilight Zone episode/etc."

They need to tear that place down and build new stuff. 75 years of the same sets is enough.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
There were a lot of new sets used in SLIDERS' 3rd, 4th, and 5th seasons on the Universal lot. They also still got out on location at least a few times after the move.

As for being on the set, Hollywood facilities have a lot more to offer than Vancouver. SLIDERS did the opposite of what most shows do to save money by leaving Canada. That's why they went overbudget on the third season. A much better example was The X-Files, which also moved in the same direction across the border and stayed there.

FOX cancelled SLIDERS not just due to record-low ratings but also because they couldn't afford the series anymore. Even with a lower budget during the last 2 years, Sci-Fi Channel wisely kept production of the show in Los Angeles. That made sense because SLIDERS was supposed to take place in various parallel San Francisco towns anyway. They got back to that focus when the show entered its 4th year with more appearances by the Kromaggs and also when Charlie O' Connell joined the cast in "Oh, Brother -- Where Art Thou?" as Colin Mallory -- Quinn's brother.

Esten

Supporting Actor
Yeah, when Sci-Fi picked it up, the effects REALLY went down the toilet. Check out the Vortex in S4 on.... looks like it's pasted on.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Well, Sci-Fi Channel budgets for off-network series are always gone to be lower than when they were on those networks. SLIDERS is no exception, but as far as the wormhole effects go....that's just computer animation! How difficult can it be to do that kind of effect? The probably used CGI. :)

David M.

Agent
Anyone else open up their copy of to find the inside of the case with dirt, lint and hair all over the discs? It's even dirty underneath the discs and trays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks