What's new

Sleepers (1 Viewer)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
With the recent announcements of many of Warner's first generation titles being replaced (specifically the flippers), I havent heard anything about Sleepers.

I love that movie, and am looking forward to the day I can replace the original copy. Has anyone heard anything about this title?

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"Sleepers" has been on the movie channels a LOT recently. It's reminded me of what a quality film it is.

I certainly hope Warner re-issues the old flipper disc as a 2 disc SE.

DeNiro, Pitt, Bacon, Hoffman, etc....what a cast!

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I love this movie too! To tell you the truth, it was my very first DVD :b

I can't wait until a better edition is released.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
2-Disc SE would be awesome! Warner has been doing a fine job with their DVD output, so I'd love to see them correct this flipper too.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
I bought this title just a couple of days ago from Best Buy ("Sleepers" that is) because it has been on my want list for awhile now; I didnt realize until I got it home, as many people probably did, that this was one of Warner's first generation flippers that was never updated. What a pain in the ass! I waited forever for the Goodfellas Special Edition which I knew would eventually come, and did, and now I'm going to have to double dip on Sleepers if that ever comes about in a non-flipper, so my question becomes...

Is there ANY word on this yet, that is, Sleepers getting two disc special treatment or at least being changed from the flipper that it is? Has this info been updated at all? Seems like there is a giant wave of Warner titles that havent been revisted yet to be made non flipper. The snap case syndrome, lack of DTS support and the collection of flipper discs....what is Warner doing over there in their home video division?

I watched the first side of Sleepers last night and dont know what to make of the Dolby 5.1 mix; sometimes, it seems weak and non-engaging; then, there are times, such as during the scene when the kids lose the hot dog stand and it crashes down the steps, that the soundstage opens up and supports the onscreen action quite well.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Wow! I don't even remember starting this thread, and to think it took over a year before anyone responded! :D
Anyway, we are all still waiting for a replacement to this movie. I am still happy with Warner's SE output, but I think this title should be getting damn near the top of their list of titles to update soon!
Heres to hoping!!

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I was going to begin a new thread about this, but did a search and found your post...so instead of taking up bandwidth with a new thread, I responded!

Yeah, Sleepers is a fantastic film. I purchased the DVD just the other day, Sunday to be specific, along with MGM's "Return of the Living Dead," and didnt get around to watching it until last night. I have been fighting a bad cold, so I only got to watch the first side of Sleeper's flipper disc...I was so dissapointed to discover this was a flipper because I did not realize it when I first purchased the disc. The widescreen image looked pretty flawless and the Dolby 5.1 track seemed ordinary for the genre of film this is, which is drama. You would have thought Warner would see fit to revisit this title already and make it a one-sided affair; I just may sell this version until the studio comes out with a new one.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Pat, while I do feel your pain about buying a less than stellar DVD that you'll probably end up double dipping on, this movie is at bargain bin prices, so I doubt you paid much more than a couple dollars for it. And in my mind, this movie is one of those thats worth it, even if the A/V presentation is crap. The way I look at it, is if I saw a movie I really liked enough that I would watch it in P&S on cable, I'm willing to pay a little bit of money for even a crappy DVD.
Although it would be better to have a great DVD, that day will eventually come someday, and we can unload our crappy DVDs to someone on ebay for almost what you paid for yours! :D

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

True; I guess you can look at it like that. I paid 10 bucks at Best Buy for Sleepers. The audio/video isn't really crappy, but not breathtaking either. The way I see it --- and I can respect your take on this hobby --- is, if I, the consumer, am going to go out of my way to spend cash on a studio's title --- no matter what the quality or price --- and I am going to put cash into their pockets to no longer have to watch the given title on cable anymore, they should be giving me something in return...clean video, good, crisp surround audio....SOMETHING...no, instead they choose to re-release a special ultimate collectors DTS full blown bitrate holiday spectacular six disc version of the same title a couple of months down the road.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Heh, if your luck is anything like mine, since you just bought this, the SE will be announced tomorrow! We should all be thanking you! :D

CraigL

Screenwriter
I have an extra copy of the movie for anyone who can go region free. It's NOT a flipper and is a special edition from Korea. ;)
We seem to be the only ones who got the flipper treatment.
WB commented recently that there are no plans to reissue this movie.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
I cant believe Warner Bros home video....now why would America be stuck with a flipper of this DVD for so long with no updates or remasters?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks