What's new

Slap Her, She's French: What's the deal? (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
This is an American movie which was shot in 2001. It opened in Switzerland more than a year ago and by now has opened several other places in Europe. It's even playing in Egypt. In fact, it's already out on DVD in R2, yet it hasn't come out in the US yet. According to the IMDB, it isn't coming until September.

What's the deal? It's not opening in its home market for more than 19 months after opening elsewhere. This is probably 2 years after completion. Is it just really bad? It has a 39% on the tomato meter, which while not great, is hardly earth-shatteringly horrible either. I had some hopes for it as it stars the adorable Piper Perabo. Anyone seen this movie or have any insight?

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Maybe they are holding back the release here in North America until things have cooled down in Franco-American relations.
Just a thought.

Mods, if this statement was inappropriate according to Forum rules, please delete this post.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Richard, they released it in the UK. Plus, it was originally going to open in early 2002, before things went sour.

Besides, I'd think a movie with a title like "Slap Her, She's French" would do better in the US if we were mad at France.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Besides, I'd think a movie with a title like "Slap Her, She's French" would do better in the US if we were mad at France.
Well, the title got my opinion. :) Looking at the description on IMDB though, it doesn't look like something I would bother seeing, not in theaters at least. Maybe a DVD rental.

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
I saw a preview last summer (before THE FAST RUNNER of all things). I think they're just trying to figure out when to cut their losses.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, when you usually see a film that has been in the vault for this long, it usually means that the studio thinks it is crap and is just looking for a place to dump it. (Example: Pluto Nash)

It is usually a bad sign.

Jason

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The studio releasing it (Premiere) keeps on having financial trouble as they want to release the film on over a thousand screens, and with the money they (don't) have, they can't do it. Premiere thinks the film will be a big money maker, but to release it the way they want to, they need money.

Supposedly the film is going to be released in September/October of this year with Premiere's second film, Who's Your Daddy, following-up shortly after that. That is Premiere actually releases it.

I'm going to start betting good money that Premiere will never release said films and both films will probably go straight to video by say Lions Gate or Artisan or some other studio.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
The most information about this film's troubled history of non-release can be found here.

I saw it this past August. I think whoever believes this film will be a big moneymaker must be high because it will tank, tank, tank. Which isn't to say that I thought it was terrible. It's okay, which is to say that it's tolerable but not all that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks