What's new

Sitting 100-110 inchs from Screen... How large should I get? (1 Viewer)

Joe Zemaitis

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to purchase an Infocus X1. Sitting on my couch away from the wall, it measures between 100-110 inches. I really can't move my couch back any further. I'd like the biggest posssible picture without being disappointed. I was looking at a 72 inch or a 84 inch diag matte white screen from da-lite. What do you think? I'd like to get the 84, but i don't want to end up w/ a pixiliated picture.

Joe

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It's really hard to say, depends on how picky you are. I'd want a damn small picture with an x1, but you may be fine with a big viewing angle. Can you try a temporary screen (just $20 blackout fabric or a wall) and see what you think before you order the screen? That's probably the best way to know how big you want it, is to play around and get it right, then order yourself the screen for that size.

I would opt for the 72 wide, because 100 inches is fairly close. I personally would go smaller than that, but again, preference is very big in your decision. And it aint me that's watching ;).

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Since you've already decided on the X1, get the projector and do as Chris suggests. Try it at various sizes and then decide on a screen size. You'll be a lot happier if you do it in that order than gamble and order the wrong size screen.

Joe Zemaitis

Stunt Coordinator
Where can I get this fabric?

Also, you said you'd want a small pciture from your X1... Why is that? Does it have poor quality? Its it heavly pixiliated? Should I wait and just get the 4805 that infocus doesn't seem to want to release?

Thx

Joe

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Well, blackout fabric is a decent DIY, and cheap screen, you can get it at pretty much any fabric store. It's basically, I think a vinyl, that has a tiny black inner layer that blocks all light, and is often used in shades and the like. But it has a tight weave and is pretty white, and is certainly usable. I mean, you can probably even use a sheet temporarily to see how big you want things, but a blackout fabric screen is a very good, and cheap solution unless you want a really high performance screen, along with the costs of such a screen.

Well, I've gotten fairly educated about video quality (not sure that that's always a good thing ;) ), and as I'm about to hang a CRT projector, I know the pixels on the X1 would drive me nuts unless I had a pretty small viewing angle. You probably won't be bothered by it nearly as much as I would, so this is why preference is a big factor.

I don't follow all the digital models that closely, so can't comment on whether you should wait and get a different unit. If you like the X1, and have seen better units and can't justify the expense, or they are above budget, then get it, but explore screen size options, and also cheap DIY screen solutions before you decide to drop big bucks on a screen. Screen choice can be very preference related too. Damn hobby... lol

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget that the X1 has a long throw. To get an image size in the 72-88" diagonal range the PJ lens needs to be about 11 feet from the screen. The 84" diagonal screen is 66" wide -- your proposed viewing distance of 100" will be fine so long as your vision isn't better than 20/20.

Since you say that you can't push the couch back any farther than 100-110 inches I assume that is also the max. distance your PJ can be as well -- the X1 will throw a too-small image in the 59-72" diagonal range from that distance. You may want to consider a different PJ. The Dell 2200MP, for example, can project an image in your desired size range from 100 inches away.

Joe Zemaitis

Stunt Coordinator
Should I get a 16:9 or a 4:3 screen? How does the X1 handle non-wide screen shows/movies? How does the 16:9 mode really work? Sorry, I'm new to this.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks