What's new

SIRIUSXM: Still Lazy After All These Years (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I still very much miss Cinemagic from when it was a real channel. For about a decade it's been a zombie channel, but it used to have interviews with the composers of movie scores, directors, etc. Sigh.
agreed. Cinemagic was a great channel. It’s now a shadow of its former self.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
John,

That is one channel we have not listened to. How is the level of repetition on that channel? How long do you listen to it each day?
I was in Radio for over 30myears and the exstreamly limited playlists on all of the Sirius channels reflext to mindset of companies like Clear Channel and Cumulis that jusy don't get it!!! Playing a never ending 1-16 song rotation is not only mind numbing but an afront to anyone that love music!!!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was in Radio for over 30myears and the exstreamly limited playlists on all of the Sirius channels reflext to mindset of companies like Clear Channel and Cumulis that jusy don't get it!!! Playing a never ending 1-16 song rotation is not only mind numbing but an afront to anyone that love music!!!

Agreed. I have heard nothing but bad things about Clear Channel and its philosophy towards radio playlists.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Agreed. I have heard nothing but bad things about Clear Channel and its philosophy towards radio playlists.
These guys were used car salemen from Texas with too much money and no idea what radio was all about!! The days of Undergorund FM that replaced top 40 AM radio was put on crack and had babies like Siriux XM and the cheesburger FM statons that act like Hyper AM stations from the old days, :) LOL!!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I understand Ron's and other's criticisms of Sirius XM, but I still really like it. I am paying too much for it though. I need to find a better deal.
just theaten to drop em, and all of a sudden the Bargins start to fly! LOL!!! ;)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
How the F doe s Sirius operate? I let my service lapse a couple weeks ago, because I didn't feel like paying over $20 a month anymore. So there was a reactivation tab in my E-mail today, and out of curiosity I clicked on it. It said I owed $43 and that had to be paid upfront. Including "royalty fees"

No.

I'll wait a few months get an E-mail for $6 a month, and grab that.

If they want to hire a collection agency to get that $43, good luck. Not my fault they do things way ass backward. Here you go Sirius radio, a tip:
Charge by the month like NEtflix. if the member cancels their sub, or if their card is declined, call it a day, and move on. You already got your money.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My daughter and myself each just got snail mail solicitations for their $5/month for a year deal.

Out of curiosity...what tier plan is that?

I believe SiriusXM has 3 tiers of service, the highest (I think PREMIER) including car/streaming/Howard Stern

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Out of curiosity...what tier plan is that?

I'm looking at the offer right now, Ron. It doesn't seem very clear about that issue. But at the top it says: "Save 72% off the current monthly rate with a Music & Entertainment subscription."

They cross off $17.99 and say $5/month for a year. Save $156. Includes free activation, too.

Does that answer your question?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm looking at the offer right now, Ron. It doesn't seem very clear about that issue. But at the top it says: "Save 72% off the current monthly rate with a Music & Entertainment subscription."

They cross off $17.99 and say $5/month for a year. Save $156. Includes free activation, too.

Does that answer your question?

It absolutely does. Here are the three plans. The offer you are looking at is the middle plan

sirius.png

I have the Platinum Plan. I only have this damn service because of Howard Stern. No sense having it for music repetition.

In any case, the best deal that seems to be out there for that plan is $100 for the year. You have to call and request that.

If you go with any of these plans, Mike, be sure to jot down the expiration date and call SiriusXM the day before to cancel. You could probably negotiate close to the deal you were just offered once you threaten to cancel.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you go with any of these plans, Mike, be sure to jot down the expiration date and call SiriusXM the day before to cancel. You could probably negotiate close to the deal you were just offered once you threaten to cancel.
Yeah. I've been through this a couple times, Ron. That's exactly what I do (although usually a few days before the year's anniversary...because I don't want to chance getting distracted/sick/etc.).

They would NOT give me the same deal when I canceled the last time so I walked away. So I gave myself the limit that I would not reactivate unless it was the $60/year deal. So now that I've gotten it, I might go ahead with it. My car's receiver only goes up to the mid 200s though so that is a PITA. But maybe I'll try the phone app and see if that gives me better service. I haven't really missed it all that much. But I can argue that $60/year is "worth it."

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I posted this in another forum but thought I would post here as well. I sold my vehicle and called in to remove it from my plan and just go streaming. My other car has CarPlay and I actually prefer the app over the built-in radio. I used their chat option on the website, and it appears they are having a promotion for their Platinum Plan: SiriusXM Streaming Platinum ($4.99/Month for 12 Months). Since that is less expensive than my Advantage Discount, I took it. I'll just have to remember to cancel in a year. Off to my calendar to put in a reminder.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I get emails to two emails every month for tht $5 deal.

We bought a car this month and as usual it comes with a 3 month free sub but a week later they sent us an email for another 3 months additional.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I almost always use the phone app as it has a ton of channels the car doesn’t offer including one that I think is relatively new called Yacht Rock Deep Tracks.

A lot of it gets repeated but it’s still stuff I don’t hear anywhere else so it’s not too bad.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
If I cancel SXM, does it stop working immediately, or do they let the month run out? I think I'm due to negotiate sometime by December 18th, and I'm considering just cancelling this month and not worry about subscribing again until January.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If I cancel SXM, does it stop working immediately, or do they let the month run out? I think I'm due to negotiate sometime by December 18th, and I'm considering just cancelling this month and not worry about subscribing again until January.

You can cancel now and it will stop working on the last day of your current subscription (not the end of the month unless your last day is the end of the month).

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Wait until they start sending you the $5 a month promo, cancel your service and when they try to upsell you, say you'll do it for the promo price!!! It worked for me!!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've been doing some projects around the house and listening to some of their (many) holiday music stations. I really like the Acoustic Christmas channel.

But, man, like Ron said when he started this thread (nearly five years ago)...they compile the shortest playlists. The repetition after only a day has been amazing. I can't imagine why, so many of the artists featured have recorded numerous Christmas tracks...but they only seem to have one in rotation. Unfathomable.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
SiriusXM is still playing the same playlist of (what seems to be) the same 200 songs on the decades channel they were playing 10+ years ago. It's unlistenable. The complaints across the Internet persist and it's apparent nobody at the company wants to make changes.

It's frustrating because the potential is there to make satellite radio an incredibly enjoyable music service. All programmers need to do is keep their playlists fresh. However, as long as it remains PAID FM RADIO, listeners are going to opt to subscribe to other music services.

SiriusXM has also raised its subscription rates again. Mine runs out in a few months and unless I can negotiate a reasonable renewal, I'm going to switch to just listening to Apple Music, Dash Radio and iHeart Radio in my car now that I have unlimited phone data.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've just started using the Sirius XM app on my phone to stream to my car radio (and to bluetooth speakers around the house). I'm a bit of a Luddite sometimes. But I figured out it gives me options by allowing me to get to more stations.

But the repetition IS aggravating me. It won't be hard to say goodbye when the promo is up. I've done it before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks