What's new

single CD Player suggestions (1 Viewer)

David Walker

Agent
Here's my current system:

Receiver- Marantz SR7200
Speakers- B&W 602's (mains)
CD Player- Aiwa XC-37M

Can you see the weakling in the bunch? That Aiwa has been floating around in my family for a couple of years and I just ended up with it temporarily. Finally, the time has come to replace it!

Any suggestions for a great $150-200ish single CD player (not SACD)? I realize that there are plenty of reccomendations out there for $500ish models. But I tell ya, that's just too much for my college student budget!

Thanks,
David

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
David, there are very few budget single-disc CD players these days, not counting the myriad of DVD players out there. Dan is correct in that you should look at Sony. Sony still makes the CDP-XE270 and 'XE370 for around $120-150. The 'XE370 comes with a remote, but the 'XE270 doesn't. See www.crutchfield.com for more information on these players.

Mark_Buss

Grip
Check out Audiogon.com

I picked up an NAD 520 CD player for $120 and am very happy with it. Using it with a Marantz PM7000. They have good budget CD players on there from time to time.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mark, while you may have had no problems with your NAD C 520, I have to mention for David's benefit that this particular player has gotten so-so reviews from a reliability standpoint. The C 520 along with the C 540 from the same generation are known to be very sensitive to scratches, fingerprints, etc. on CDs. It seems that NAD players from the last two generations (C 521 and C 541 and then C 521i and C 541i) are better in that respect.

David Walker

Agent
I don't really want a Sony... As stupid as it sounds, I just don't like supporting them, especially when surely there's comprabable players out there.

Any other suggestions besides Sony's line?

Keith, thanks for the heads up on the NAD. I have heard good things about the player, but I also know that my CD's are far from tip-top shape, and I'm worried the NAD wouldn't play them. Keep the suggestions coming!

David

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
When I was looking for a single disc player earlier this year, Sony was the only company that I saw that had single disc CD only players in the price range you mention. I ended up buying a Rotel ($450) and am very happy with it.

As far as players that handle less than perfect discs, I've always had good luck with Pioneer players. Unfortunately, they do not make a single disc player.

JimmyK

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
Even though you don't like sony, I still have to suggest that the CE-775 model can still be found in some places, it happens to play SACD's but it's about the best value for that money. Although you might also want to consider the pioneer dvd 656A, I liked it's CD audio better than the panasonic (which I found a tad bright) and it plays progressive scan DVD's. I personally have a NAD 541i which can be had for $300 on audiogon last time I checked. I'm quite happy with the unit and feel its about the best you can do almost up to double it's price.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
David, does it have to be a single cd player? You can get a 5 cd changer Marantz CC-3000 for ~$200

cheers,

--tom

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
David,

I think I've got the perfect solution for you. Check out Cambridge Audio's D300 and D300SE. Both should be able to be found used within your budget. The 300SE (newer version of the D300) can be had new for $300. I've got a D300 in my second system (NAD C340 Integrated Amp and B&W DM601s2 Speakers) and it's a great little player. I picked mine up from AudioAdvisor for $150 when they were clearing them out for the D300SE.

Sony's mass-market line has never been my favorite in anything they do and NAD's sound great...when they work. I went through 2 players a C520, then a C521, and had problems with both of them. I'll stick by NAD's amps but as for their CD/DVD players, I'd look elsewhere.

Just above your budget you can find used Rega Planet (original version, not 2000) for $400-450 as well as Music Hall CD25's for $350-400 used. Both are decent players, especially the Music Hall.

I think the Cambridge is right up your alley, also check Ebay and Audiogon for used Rotels and Arcam though.

Good Luck!
Bill

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
How about the Technics SL-PG4

Here's a review from Consumer Guide.
It's available at J&R for $120.00
The siblings to this player, the SL-PG3 (non-remote) and the SL-PG5 (remote-capable), have been very well reviewed in the British hi-fi press.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bill,

Good call on the Cambridge Audio players. I was thinking new players, but a used D300 or D300SE would be a good choice.

Danny,

I had forgotten about the Technics player. It's a nice alternative to the Sony units.

David Walker

Agent
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm gonna check out all the reviews and such for the units reccomended ASAP. Buying used is also an option... I've never bought used electronics over the net, and frankly I'm a little wary of it, but I might try that out too.

Also, it doesn't HAVE to be single CD player, but I just figured I'd get more bang for the buck going the single route. (I don't really NEED a changer)

David

Rich Strauss

Stunt Coordinator
I can also recommend the Technics SL-PG4. I got one from J&R for $120 to put in my office system. Very nice sound for the price. There are lots of good reviews for this unit on Audio Review.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
David,
I know this is going BELOW your price range of $150.00-200.00, but this player may be just what you need.

It's the TEAC CD-P1250 and it's available from J&R for $89.88 with no shipping charges. Here's the info to TEAC's webpage on the CD-P1250.
The reason I am mentioning the TEAC CD player is because its previous versions, the CD-P1100 and CD-P1120, have received positive reviews at tnt-audio.com. And with some inexpensive mods, performed in the tnt-audio reviews, the TEAC player could turn out to be a real inexpensive audiophile CD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks