single-disc cd player ideas?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Walker, Mar 5, 2003.

1. David Walker

David Walker Agent

I asked a while back for suggestions on a single disc cd player in the 150-200 range, but I never ended up getting one, which is actually a blessing in disguise because my place was robbed and my Marantz SR7200 and B&W602's were taken in the process.

So, needless to say, i'm building a new system.
    ***My budget for the CD player is now around 300-350.

I'll be pairing it with a Marantz 2245 (vintage receiver) and an unknown speaker set.

Ideas anyone? Silver if possible...maybe i'm picky though.

Thanks!
    Dave

2. David Walker

David Walker Agent

I guess it doesn't HAVE to be a single CD, but its just a personal preference. If there's a 5 disc in that range, by all means, let it ride!

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, sorry to hear for your loss. It looks like you are going the stereo route now. Depending on the speakers you get, you may be better off from a music standpoint. The vintage Marantz receiver is probably a better amp than the SR-7200.

You will also be better off by upping your budget for a CD player some. A single-disc CD player you ought to look at is the Cambridge Audio D300SE. See www.audioadvisor.com for more information. It's a good player, and it comes in silver.

Since you are entertaining a changer, look at the Sony SCD-C222ES SACD/CD changer. It's a very good CD player, and you get SACD as a bonus. While it retails for $500, you should be able to get it through Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), or OneCall (1-800-340-4770) for around $350. All three are authorized dealers. For more information on the 'C222ES, go to www.crutchfield.com . Note that the 'C222ES only comes in black, but give it a listen. [​IMG]

4. David Walker

David Walker Agent

Thanks for the suggestions. The Cambridge Audio D300 is especially appealing and the Sony is....well...I'm just not a fan of Sony at all.

Are there any cd players out there that sound especially good with vintage receivers? Maybe players that are built more around stereo sound, analog sound, etc.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, the Cambridge Audio player may very well give you the sound you want. Also, Marantz players tend to be on the warm or analog side. I'm not sure if they still make any budget single-disc players. Check marantz.com to see if the CD5000 is still available. If so, it should be in your price range. Marantz currently offers the CC4300 carousel changer that is in your price range and probably offers a warm sound. Past Marantz changers sounded warm to my ears.

Also, don't discount the Sony 'C222ES. Yes, it is a Sony, however, the ES SACD players have been exceptional values. For what it's worth, the 'C222ES retailed for $800 when it came out in the fall of 2001, but it is now available for around $350 by mail.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, I just checked marantz.com, and the CD5000 single-disc player is still shown as a current model. Here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

hey...just happy to see a fellow vintage marantz user! i've got a 2235B...

the marantz refurbished 5 disc changers oer at AC4L.com seem to be quite a good value..might wanna check them out just for kicks

i use an old denon dcd-1000...but that's mainly due to the fact that it fits my space needs and was $27 [​IMG]

www.ac4l.com

8. David Walker

David Walker Agent

I'm not sure what the feature is called, but I listened to a CD player the other day that you could control the volume with the CD player remote. This would be very beneficial as my receiver has no remote control.

Anyone know what this feature is called? and if these players have that feature?

thanks for all the responses btw!