What's new

Simpsons - go time? (1 Viewer)

chrisMCG

Agent
Given the surge of new season releases of the major Fox animated series' is it safe to assume that The Simpsons is going to start plugging out seasons much quicker? I only ask because I love :D

PS < www.snpp.com is a sweet simpsons site for those who haven't visited.

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
I think the shitty release pattern is due to Matt Groening and co still making the series. They are involved in the boxsets. However 1 season a year is not funny. We were promised at least two a year. The show may run up to 15 seasons so I hope that perhaps next year they could hit us with three seasons in one year. The boxsets are fantastic and thumbs up to Fox but they really need to get a better release schedule for them :D

Joel C

Screenwriter
I'm not even buying season 3 until the release pattern speeds up. I know it sounds dumb, but the slow schedule is sapping my enthusiasm for owning the series on DVD. If I don't think they'll all be on DVD eventually, I don't really want to spend money on them.

Josh Sieg

Second Unit
remember, they're:

A. Making new episodes all the time

B. Recording commentary tracks for each episode

Which, I would think, would take up alot of time.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Yep, add me to the list of folks who unloaded the first 2 seasons while I could still get money for them. At the rate they're coming out, i can just rent them if I get a simpsons craving.

-Vince

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I don't know...it is a mixed bag.

On one hand I hate how long it is taking. There are other shows that are already into fourth and fifth seasons and some shows already the entire series run out, like ST: Next Generation.

But on the other hand...I am glad that creators are interested enough to comment on the series and play a part in the box sets. Most of us would be bitter if they weren't playing such a role.

The Simpson's is one of the few series that I would be this patient for.

(And hey, keep in mind that those of us Friday The 13th Fans have been waiting twenty years or more to get the films done the way we want them and still waiting...this isn't that long of a time to wait on the perfections known as the Simpsons.)

Ben_D

Agent
Hey, I'm just happy they're being released. There are a few other series I would kill to own on DVD, but unfortunately I don't think they have a prayer of being released in my lifetime.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I refer to one of my previous posts: Groening said in the liner notes in the first season set that they would be released just in time for you to rebuy them in the next format. ;)

Joel C

Screenwriter
At this rate, he may have been a little optimistic. Will DVD really be around for the next, what 13-14 years?

YEARS, people, I don't care how many commentary tracks they record, one season a year is not enough. I'll be nearing my 40s by the time all of the seasons have been released, and I just graduated college. Something is wrong with that picture.

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget that Matt has to finish recording commentaries for Futurama! I've been waiting patiently for Futurama much more than the Simpsons. Once they have finished all four seasons then they can start cranking out the Simpsons and I'll buy them:D

Michael

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading that someone involved with the Simpsons saying that the delay was in part due to some kind of issue with the authoring company. He suggested that the problem did get resolved and that season sets should not take so long anymore. Does that sound familiar to anyone

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Seasons 1 through 3 of Futurama have already been released in the UK, and every episode has a commentary. Personally, a couple of commentaries a season is more than enough. A commentary for every episode is pretty redundant (as boring commentaries on Season 3 of Futurama attest to).

Joel C

Screenwriter
All of the Futurama commentaries have been recorded. Season 4 is coming out in R2 sometime in the fourth quarter.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
They certainly can't release them any slower. Not without cancelling them, anyway.

-Dave

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Here's another possible angle.

Thanks to the age of cable and satellite televison, The Simpsons is on practically 24 hours a day if you wanted to channel surf.

I own the first two seasons, but I hardly watch them (not for the fact that they are more developmental in scope), when I can catch random episodes on TV, as opposed to saying "Hey, I think I'll watch Bart The General right now!".

If you think Fox is making money from DVD sales of this series, how much do you think they get every time an episode is broadcast? Danny Elfman can probably retire on the mechanical royalties every time the show airs.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I would like them to be faster, but if this is what it takes to get such great sets, I'll put up with it. Better than cutting special features.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
B. Recording commentary tracks for each episode
They have tracks recorded through season 4

Again, the rumors are flying. here is the truth

The holdup is at Gracie Films and with Matt Groening. When a friend of mine ran into him a few weeks ago at a shop in LA, Mr. Groening seemed less than enthused to discuss Simpons DVDs, so he quickly switched the topic to Futurama

What exactly is happening is unknown except to the participants, except that the bottleneck is at Gracie. I'm sure Fox would love to put out 3 sets a year, but until the stranglehold is released, you're going to keep seeing the seasons once a year, and the lame best-ofs to try to tide people over.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to the age of cable and satellite televison, The Simpsons is on practically 24 hours a day if you wanted to channel surf.
Don't forget that the syndicated episodes have around two minutes of footage removed from each episode. And in some areas of the country, they only show the same few seasons repeatedly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks