What's new

Signal Strength (1 Viewer)

Jame pc

Agent
This may be the incorrect forum but just let me know where it's moved to moderator.

Some of my HD channels are pixelating and some analog channels are fuzzy. I will be calling the cable company but I like to be informed before I do.
The supply cable on the side of the house splits before entering the attic. On the splitter the "Tap" outlet goes to the TV's and the "out" outlet goes to the cable modem. Is this correct or should the modem get the "Tap"?
Has anyone used one of those plug in signal amplifiers? Can they be used on a digital signal?
Thanks,
James

Jame pc

Agent
Um..yea. The topic would be Signal Strength, not Sigal Strength :). Any way to edit that to make future searches accurate?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jame.

It looks like the splitter used was designed for mixed broadband signals and is installed correctly.

I dont think pixelation is caused by poor signal strength, but I could be wrong.

Since your cable company is offering standard video, HD video and cable-modem service on the same wire, you dont really want to add your own amplifier. Call the cable company. They will come out with measuring equipment and tell you if a signal-strenght problem is the issue.

They will likely cut the ends off of every piece of coax and install new connectors. You would be suprised at how many problems this will solve.

Jame pc

Agent
Thanks for your reply Bob. I'll be calling Brighthouse Tuesday. I posted more detailed questions in the Audio Video Sources forum.
Thanks again!

Jame pc

Agent
Jack Bridges,
Since you closed the thread I started in Audio/Video Sources, I'll repost the question here. As you can see, they are different questions asked, not a double post. I thought it would fit better in the Video Soure area... Sorry for the confusion.

I'm trying to get a clean picture on all channels. Right now the "Brighthouse" supply comes into the box on the house, into a 2 way splitter, one out to the cable modem and the other out (says TAP) to another 4 way splitter which goes to all the TV's. The HD channels are good but just some of the analog channels are fuzzy. If I bypass the 4 way splitter and connect the HDTV line directly to the 2 way "TAP" out, the fuzzy analog channels clear up.

What do I need to get clear channels AND use a 4 way?
On the 2 way, what does 120 dB on the IN mean
On the 2 way, what's the difference between the TAP and OUT. Does the OUT have a lower signal loss for the cable modem?

Thanks,
James

SteveMetcalf

Agent
Pixelating could be a result of signal strength with a digital signal if it's also accompanied with an "image freeze". With digital signals, the information is transmitted as a package. Either the info arrves, or it doesn't. In the case of low signal on digital the image will pixelize and freeze simultaneously. Pixelization without an image freeze is the result of processing errors in the digital process.

Jame pc

Agent
Thanks for the replies.
After a little research I found the splitter that has a TAP and OUT, the OUT has little signal loss while the TAP has a low signal. I also read that cable modems are happy with a -12 to a +12 signal, so I assume using the TAP for the cable modem and the OUT for the TV's would be the proper way to use the splitter, which is opposite of how the cable company wired it and why some of my picture are fuzzy (low signal to the TV's). I'm going to switch then and see what happens.
James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks