What's new

*sigh* I think I fried my Marantz 5200 (1 Viewer)

Daniel T.

Agent
So, I was enjoying a rather loud session of the CBS Mastersound Wish You Were Here(Pink Floyd), right around the +0db range and off goes the reciever. Eh, no worries right? I thought so, figured a protect circuit kicked in. Well, its now 5-6 hours later and I can't even listen to a song at what would be dolby reference levels for more than 15 seconds before the amp shuts itself off. GRRRRRR, music is my favorite pastime.

Y'all think time might be the cure or ya think I've done some real damage here? I love this amp, musical and flexible. Does what I need, without alot of fuss or setup. If I cooked this rig, I dunno what my options are. Music is THE reason I went with Marantz. I like Pioneer Elite, would consider a Harmon Kardon, as well as Denon. I'm horribly out of the loop as to what reciever/amp is gonna allow for a decent HT setup and give great musical sound.

Anyone wanna toss in an idea?

Daniel T.

Agent
I hate it when I do things like this. I'm almost sure now that I've done something stupid and cooked the rig. 3:44 am here, and I'm quite angry with myself. I also just got a 50" DLP set, and a friend dropped off a handful of great DVD's that my DV45 wants to spin....guess what tho? THE FREAKIN AMP IS DEAD cuz I'm an idiot .

Well, I can salvage some from this rant.

Lets say I had 2000 bucks to toss at a receiver, I'd like warm sound, clean sound Marantz-like ya know? DTS EX ES...all the alphabet soup for movies. Most of all WARM sound, stereo is where I live. Optical inputs are nice, for my computer, digital coax I can do without. The tv has scads of inputs, so thats not a worry(I bypass the receiver anyways). Musical is the main thing...oh I'm so mad at myself right now. 7.1 would be fun too, tho its not critical.

I need to go to sleep, I'm rambling now. Sorry for the vent.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Daniel,
If you have 2000 to spend on a receiver and Music is your primary love, then i would consider the following:
Marantz SR9200/9300
NAD 762
Harman Kardon AVR 7200
Rotel RSX 1065 or 1055

I have had or demoed all of the above and these brands excel in music(and HT too). I have also had or tried Denon,Pioneer Elite, and Onkyo. While all three were excellent HT performers they didn't quite measure up to the 4 brands listed above IMO. As always let your own ears be the judge. I would suggest making a demo cd of your favorite tunes and hit your local dealers to see if you can audition as many different receivers as you can. BTW, with that budget of $2k you are also in the enrty level separates price range and might want to consider Pre-Amp/Amp setup instead of a receiver.

Good Luck,
Dalton

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Daniel, you may want to reduce that volume a tad. Also, where is the receiver located? Is there enough room for proper ventilation? JB

gregD

Second Unit
Or maybe have the receiver repaired and throw the remaining $ at an outboard power amp... this will take the load off the receiver and yet retain the Marantz sound you like... maybe the repair option can even be skipped if the problem is in the power amp section.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you like the Marantz sound, I'd say go for the 8300 ($1799 MSRP). The issue seems to be too little power here, if you are listening at "0". You have to turn it up a bit too high for the level of sound you are trying to achieve. Driving these receivers at "0" means you are literally leaving NO ROOM for transient peaks, and this is a very dangerous game.

Just a thought: Check your speakers as well, by hooking up one at a time. You may have clipped the amp and fried one or more speakers, and that short is overloading the system.

Daniel T.

Agent
Just a thought: Check your speakers as well, by hooking up one at a time. You may have clipped the amp and fried one or more speakers, and that short is overloading the system.
BINGO. Nailed the right crossover. Thats a GOOD thing since the VRM60's carry a 5 year warranty. I was not thinking clearly at all last night/morning. That should have been my first thing to check....DOH! Guess I'll be more careful next time.

Daniel T.

Agent
First off, I'd like to say thanks ya'll for the help. I went and blew some money anyways on some cool stuff.

My sound guy and I sat down and hammered out a solution to my problem. The speaker is covered under warranty, so its gonna be repaired. While I was there we figured out what to do with my propensity to crank the voulme(I.E. how to make it "bigger") I didn't wanna get new speakers, as I enjoy the M60's sound. So, I got another set. Gonna invert em and put em on top of the other ones. Get two monoblocks(200 watt) and drive the woofers with those and drive the tweets with the 5200. My sub is self-powered so thats not a problem. Looked at a Rotel/Outlaw solution, but I'd basically have to scrap my current setup, yeah it would prolly sound better. But I'm gettin out of this for ~1500 bucks including the speakers, I'm pretty excited to hear the results in my house, not just in a showroom. Oh and the speakers sittin on top of one another look so dang cool :D

Setup now(well, in a few weeks since monos and speaker need to come in):

Samsung 50" DLP
Marantz 5200
Boston PV1000 Sub
Boston VR M60(4)
Boston VR MC Center
Boston Dipole surrounds
Pioneer Elite DV45 DVD/SACD/DVD-A
Replay DVR unit
Cyberpower 1500 watt battery backup/line conditioner(isolated ground)
Sony System commander(get one of these! many remotes into one with customizable(sp?) screen, and its a flashy gizmo that makes folks go "ooohhh-ahhhhh")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks