What's new

Side Surround Speakers (1 Viewer)

Stephen_S

Auditioning
I want to setup HT on my new home which is going to have a false ceiling.

Do we really need a 2 side surround speakers? In what situation require it?

The living room is about 13ft x 13ft.
I already brought 2 rear surround speakers (In Ceiling)

Thanks.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Welcome to the forum Bro! In most 5.1 HT systems, the speakers are mounted on the side (no rears). You usually don't use rears til you go to a 6.1 or 7.1 system. See http://www.dolbylabs.com/consumer/ho...oomlayout.html Are your ceiling speakers already installed, or can you mount them to the sides? BTW, if the configuration of your room means the speakers must be mounted to the rear, don't get too worked up over it. You will be using a configuration that is different than recommended, but we all have to make concessions based upon our rooms, spouses' tastes, budgets, etc. Oh yeah, and right now, there isn't a whole lot of material in 6.1 sound, let alone 7.1, so you don't NEED 7 speakers right away, but it helps to be ready for the future.

Stephen_S

Auditioning
Thank Bro. Great to be here.

Thanks for the link. It is very clear.

It is actually at the side rear position for 5.1 setup, so it should be side speakers ;)

My ceiling speakers have not installed yet, that is why need to seek advice whether to setup 6.1 or 7.1 system. I have to re-phase my question....

Do I need to prepare 6.1 or 7.1 system (adding 1 or 2 rear surround speakers)? If yes, which one (6.1 or 7.1)?

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Totally up to you whether you want to go 6.1 or 7.1 now. Go back to the Dolby site and click the button for Dolby Digital EX (just below the couch picture). It will show you where to mount the 7.1 rears. Note that they are described as "mono" because in DD EX, they emit the same sound. If you go 6.1, mount the speaker in the center rear area. I have a 5.1 setup myself, so don't have a list of the titles available in 6.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks