What's new

Shrek angle feature problem (1 Viewer)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
*Mods, I did a search and found at least 2 other threads dealing with specific problems with the Shrek DVD. In each case, there were no replies. Perhaps we could start an "official" Shrek problems thread lest the boards get bogged down with numerous postings. That being said, I'm starting another thread. Feel free to close this down if you wish to make one of the other existing threads THE thread.*

On Disc Two (featuring the Widescreen version), after playback is selected, the angle icon flashes momentarily while the Dreamworks Titles play. It goes away after 5 seconds and the movie plays normally. Not a huge deal, but definitely not supposed to happen. I haven't tried Disc One to see if there's any difference. In fact, I haven't tried much of anything as far as tweaking the set up or other experiments - no time. Anyone else have this happen?

Regards,

D

Denis

Auditioning
The opening titles of Shrek are also available in French. The disc uses a different angle for the opening titles if you select the French audio-track in the audio-menu. This is not uncommon, I've seen it on other DVD's as well... I don't think the angles can be switched manually but I'm not sure about that one....

Denis

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Denis,

Thanks for the info. The audio I selected is English DTS 5.1, so this makes me wonder if there is a default "angle" for the titles, maybe English Dolby 5.1 or Dolby 2.0. You would think that in Region 1, the English audio stream would coincide with the default angle, no matter which surround feature is selected. But maybe not.

Thanks again for the info. Anyone else have a theory or other information?

Regards,

D

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
What happens is (as Denis says) the disc has 3 angles: English, Spanish and French. No matter what you choose, there will be 3 angles at that spot. (yes, 3 of course, my bad)

What you have to do is disabling the angle icon on your DVD player! This depends from player to player, but there has to be a way of disabling it!

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Actually there are 3 angles, English, French and Spanish. Select the Spanish audio track and the player will select the third angle automatically. I have absolutely no beefs with this feature as it doesn't interupt the picture, only lights up "angle" on my DVD players display.

kevin_asai

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any difference between the English and Spanish version or English and French or French and Spanish? I mean some different scene.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I didn't notice it anywhere except the "Dreamworks Presents" credits at the very beginning- not even the ending credits were available in the alternate languages. They didn't disable the on-the-fly switching so you can watch it with the English soundtrack and have it says "Dreamworks Presenta" if you so desire. The multi-language support on this disc is pretty impressive though, the trailer is available in French and the HBO making-of thing is in Spanish, and just about everything seems to have Spanish and French subtitles.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Its no big deal, but there is this anoying sign on the upper rigth hand side for a few seconds...

--

Holadem

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yeah, I noticed this too. Why does the icon have to show up on-screen. I am begining to wonder about DVD authoring. First we have subtitle problems with Monty Python, then this, then I hear about some people having problems with Willy Wonka widescreen pixelizing. What is going on?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Any display that shows up during "Shrek" is from the player, not the disc. Some players will make you go into the setup menu to default to having it off, or you may have to hit the "Display" button on the remote until it's gone. They must figure people like knowing when they're watching something that actually uses the angle button, though optional subtitles on the disc serve this purpose much better.
I saw a Vivid disc that had a thing pop up during the segments that were multi-angle, and the only way to get rid of it was to skip backwards :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks