What's new

Shows you have abonded and why? (1 Viewer)

Sean D.

Agent
Tell about shows you have quit collecting. The only series I have stopped is The Andy Griffith Show. I have seasons one through five, but after Don Knotts left it was not the same.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
:eek: Barny Miller. Worst quality TV show/DVD I've ever seen . Real bad transfer.
I do not know if another ever came out. I could look on tvshowsondvd.com but could care less at this point.

Uh let's see, most shows actually. I just have no time to watch them.

So I gave up on Alias, Smallville, Gillmore Girls, Leave It TO Beaver, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, My Favorite Martian, I Love Lucy, and many more.
We have the first couple of sets of a lot of series and I thought it would be great to get them while they were in print. Now I realise that we will never in our lifetime have the time to watch all this nostalgia, so it is with just a little tear in my eye, I say good bye to most of the TV show collecting.
However, we still get the 24 DVD sets, and the Lost ones. I think we're giving up CSI too after owning all five DVD seasons. We were so into it we got the import British versions before they hit the states! There is just only so much time to devote to this stuff. We now DVR CSI in HD widescreen and find it sufficient. We have only had the DVR a month and have come to like what it does.

So we stop because: 1) there is only so much time

2) DVR is our friend

Oh and.................... 3) there is no value to a used DVD. The pawn shop across from my store sells them 3/$10.00 all day long. Box sets go for $5-$10 used in our neck of the woods.

Seeing Deadwood for $79.99 tonight at Target made me feel bad for the medium. Deadwood had a four year story arc and was cancelled after season three. The DVD franchise was further made worthless by that type of corporate stupidity. Same for Carnivalle....

So, 4) We also stopped collecting because of the above corporate mindset. If a show cannot be allowed to end in a proper manner, then the producers are showing no one any respect and do not deserve my money. I will buy Deadwood used for $10.00, but I'll not give them a cent for a new set as I'm just that unhappy about it. I'm betting sales of the third season will be minuscule.

5) If HD does take off, some of the popular shows will be redone once again............other shows will never see the light of day and the SD editions will be either worthless or valuable. It will depend on what day you look on ebay!:laugh:

I still go for the old Irwin Allen shows though, and look forward to Sabrina the TV series next year. My daughter will like that one as she does the Adams Family
I'm sure I could find more reasons to give up this compulsive hobby.....
That said, I picked up the Simpson's season seven and eight for $16.00 each new tonight at Target! Only problem was, I already had season seven! D'oh!!!
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

MelissaAngel

Auditioning
I guess I have abandoned Gilmore Girls and Dawson's Creek. I'm really only a fan of the first few seasons of both shows. I don't see any reason to continue to collect when I don't like the remaining seasons.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Bob Newhart Show. I bought the first season blind and didn't find it to be funny at all.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The new Dr. Who (in the process of selling it), Nip Tuck (never got around to watching S1), The Shield (S1 didn't grab me), Masters of Horror (watched Cigarette Burns and that's it).

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I was originally going to collect seasons 1 through 5 of Buffy - seasons 6 and 7 aren't worth it to me, but at the time I ended up stopping with season 3. Money got too tight, and I resigned myself to collecting ANGEL, which come hell or high water I was getting every season of. I guess I could pick up some of those Buffy slim sets before the prices 'spike'...

I did the same for Sliders. I knew that I would only get seasons 1 - 3. Seasons 4 and 5 have yet to be released if at all, but I got burned out on those two in reruns - season 4 on an endless loop, then season 5.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Lost in Space - - I don't know why, but I could never make it through the first season. I swear, every time I'd try to watch an episode, after about twenty minutes, I'd be sound asleep. When Fox decided to split subsequent seasons into two volumes, I bailed.

Doogie Howser - - In this instance, I love the show and would actually like to have the entire series in my library, but the murky, waxy disc transfers give me a headache. So, I guess you could say that I bailed on this one because of the poor quality presentation. The program may have been shot on film, but it looks like it was mastered on 1" or Beta SP videotape (not uncommon for network programs in the eighties) and that is the source they used for the digital transfers. In a word... UGH! That's my opinion, mind you, and as always, YMMV.

Lois and Clark - - This is another one of those programs that has not aged well, IMO. In terms of quality, things went downhill quickly after the exit of Deborah Joy LeVine, and since I struggled just to make it through the first set of discs, I saw no point in investing further.

TaiPan

Auditioning
Real Name
Ric
Originally I gave up on Wiseguy after the first two releases only because I wanted the Sonny Steelegrave and Mel Profit story arcs and no more. After watching them I had a change of heart because I enjoyed the first two so much... that was until I heard about the quality issues and the fact that the Dead Dog Records story arc wasn't going to be released at all. So I just stayed with the first two that I bought and purchased no more.

I gave up on Boston Legal just because I really wasn't enjoying the stories.

I'm with Jason_V on Masters Of Horror. I did the same exact thing as he did.

I may give up on the Addams Family now as it's just not the way I remembered it. But I haven't made my final on that title just yet.

Tai

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
None, yet. I suppose at some point I'll stop buying the Simpsons, but I stopped watching it a long time ago, so I'm not really sure when it jumped the shark. All the others I'll continue to collect assuming they're available.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Charmed - the end of Prue is the end to me
Moonlighting - season 4 was pretty not-so-great, and I've heard season 5 was worse, but I might get 5 for completion sake

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank
I dropped Friends after buying Season 1. I guess it was then that I realized watching the show through the first time, when it was originally broadcast, was enough for me. Also, if I ever really want to watch an episode, I can always catch a rerun.

I'll eventually drop All in the Family after Season 8 is released. I have no interest in the series after Mike and Gloria leave. (Although I would absolutely buy a special compilation disc that had Mike and Gloria's S9 appearances, the "Edith's death" episode of Archie Bunker's Place, and the Gloria pilot. I'm just sayin'.)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'll probably buy Season One of HAPPY DAYS, :laugh: and perhaps Season Two if it is released, but that's it. I felt the quality of the show went downhill after ABC switched to the "Live Audience" Format.:thumbsdown: This Show "Jumped the Shark" before the Infamous "Jump the Shark" Episode!:cool:

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Someone mentioned Wiseguy, which got me to thinking I should clarify. I've not abandoned any shows, but I have skipped seasons, and indeed entire shows because of edits and music replacement. I bought Wiseguy, and then returned it to the store simply because of the horrid music replacement.

Alan Lee UK

Stunt Coordinator

I gave it the benefit of the doubt and got the second season, but it still didn't get any better for me. I can't understand the almost universal veneration of this show - dull characters and too few funny moments.

I have the first three seasons of Three's Company, but doubt if I will bother with any more now the Ropers have gone.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I had a good friend tell me that she really didn't like ``Buffy'' after they graduated high school, but to be honest, I thought the fourth season was pretty good. The same friend also said she didn't care for ``Charmed'' after Shannen Doherty left the show following the third season. Again, what I seen thus far of the fourth season, which is up to the last five episodes or so, has been pretty decent. Have yet to really abandon any series, tho I'm in agreement with a previous poster about having more than enough DVDs in my collection to occupy me for a great while. I just keep at it diligently watching shows on DVD every day, if I can.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I have abandoned:

Laverne & Shirley (even if they release future seasons, I just didn't find it funny)
The Bob Newhart Show (not as great as I remembered)
The Waltons (had never seen it, but am stopping with Season Three. Great show, but 3 seasons is enough)
Green Acres (Season Two was as much of a taste of it as I needed)
I Dream of Jeannie (Season Three will be it for me. It's no Bewitched in terms of quality imho)

And I'm going to abandon All in the Family once Gloria & Mike leave at the end of Season 7.)

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Smallville -- I've abandoned Smallville, too formula for my taste, and will return my unopened Seasons II & III after the holidays.

Remington Steele -- it was okay, but found myself nodding off after the 1st disc... Won't buy anymore seasons.

I'm finding some of the older shows, like Andy Griffith, hard to watch in large doses, that is, anymore than 1 disc a month or so. Still, I enjoy the show when I'm in the mood for it, but only buy the next season when I've finished the last. Right now I'm about halfway through Season II. Eventually, I'll pick them up one at a time, or if they go on sale for under $15 pick up the ones I don't already have.

Leave it to Beaver -- still good enough that my wife and I burned through Season II in less than a week! I'm still working on Newhart Season I, but my wife has already watched Seasons I-III so I'll keep getting it for her. She also loves the Lucy sets (complete) and Bewitched, although I've seen both too often to ever want to buy them for myself.

Lois & Clark -- first season was more than enough of that show. Still haven't waded through disc #2.

Charmed -- a blind buy and I enjoyed the first 2 discs, but then the actresses started playing 'cute' for the camera and the stories got left in the dust -- or got stupid. Will not buy anymore of that series, and will sell the first season without watching the last disc.

While I still have about 20 boxes of unopened 'classic shows,' I'll keep getting the newer seasons, but only when they go on sale. Moonlighting and Northern Exposure both had weak final seasons, but I love those shows so much I'll buy them all anyway.

Too me, seeing a row of boxes of one of my favorite shows, is like seeing a good book on the shelf, or a picture of an old friend -- great memories and a touchstone to my past.

Right now watching Boston Leagal Season #2 and loving it: what a great show! Shows like this, Shield, Lost, Deadwood, Huff, Sopranos, Gillmore Girls, Dead Like Me, have raised the bar on quality, and some of my older favorites, like NYPD, no longer make the cut...

John

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

well, season 4 of Charmed (the first without Doherty) is infinately better than seasons 5-8. The latter seasons are painfully repetitive and awful

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm done with I DREAM OF JEANNIE. I bought the first two seasons but didn't remember from my youth that every episode is basically the same thing again and again and again and again and again and again and ... well, you get the idea.

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
Alias gets really tiring if you watch too many back-to-back. How many times can you watch Jennifer Garner run down a hallway?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks