What's new

Shows you have abonded and why? (1 Viewer)

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I've given up on:

Cheers
Frasier
Happy Days (even if it was still being released, I'd have given up)
Twilight Zone

The first three I gave up on because I realized I just wasn't as interested in watching them again (and again) on DVD. I like the shows and think they're pretty funny, but I didn't see myself getting into four, five, six or more seasons of those shows. I mostly prefer to watch sci-fi/fantasy stuff repeatedly. As for Twilight Zone, severe paycuts (40%!!) meant that those sets just became too expensive for me. I'd still probably watch some of the sets I already own more than TZ.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
None really but many things are ahead of continuing Buffy beyond 6, Angel Beyond 3, Roswell beyond 1, Lost in Space beyond 1, King of the Hill beyond 1, M*A*S*H beyond 1, Simpsons beyond 1, Family Guy beyond Volume 2 and South Park beyond 5, Fresh Prince beyond 1, Hercules beyond 1, Smallville beyond 4, Veronica Mars beyond 1. Not that I hate these series but I got them all so cheap and probably would not have picked them up save for the price (8 dollars each for the Buffy's and Angel's used long before Buffy 7 was released). I am too busy doing other things right now and other series are more important to me. Now if I find a ludicrously great price I might continue these and I do feel the need to complete Buffy and Angel but I would rather focus elsewhere until a sale. I think Jeannie is as great as ever and she is a high priority for me. Most older shows hold up better on DVD for me than newer ones when it comes to repeat appeal. Lost in Space is nice but I am still working my way through it. I would say Family Guy has decreased in appeal since its original airing and the newer versions might not have as much replayability as the former so I might just avoid it all together but still, if I saw it for 8 dollars I would buy it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
M*A*S*H after six seasons. I did not care for the later seasons when the series originally ran.

Married With Children after Season 2 (and sold that one). The music changes and edits put me off.

X-Files after six seasons. I didn't care for the later seasons when they originally aired.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea after first season (and sold it). I grew up watching this series, but it didn't age well for me.

Northern Exposure -- Season 5 will be my last purchase. I did not care for the show after Joel left.

Silk Stalkings after Season 4. I still only own seasons 3&4, and will sell those after we watch them. We didn't enjoy this show as much as during its original run.

Soap after Season 3. Season 4 was so bad that we didn't finish it before I sold it.

It appears the studios have abandoned me on future seasons of Hill Street Blues, Taxi and The Rockford Files.

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if I've abandoned any though there are a few shows I decided one or two seasons was enough so I would have them whenever I wanted to catch a random episode. The Flintstones and Everybody Loves Raymond fall into that area with me. I will definitely quit Bewitched after the 5th season, though. I have no interest in the Dick Sargent years. To me, Dick York was the one true Darrin.

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
ANDY GRIFFITH - Abandoned after S5, not interested in the post-Barney years.

GOOD TIMES - Abandoned after S3, the show was never quite the same to me once James was killed off.

FAMILY AFFAIR - Abandoned after S1. I really enjoyed revisisting this one for nostalgia's sake. But after buying and watching all of S1, and Netflixing the first disk of S2, I realized this doesn't have enough of a re-watchability factor for me to want watch it over and over again repeatedly on DVD. I'll rent them as they come out, but not buy them.

FRASIER - I own S1-S7, and S11...that's enough Frasier for me. Loved the show, and still do, but my limited shelf space can do without 8, 9, & 10.

I DREAM OF JEANNIE - Abandoned after S2. It's cute to revisit, but doesn't compete with Bewitched for me (or my kids 8 & 10) in terms of re-watchability. We watch a Bewitched disk as least once a week. Jeannie is on the shelf but rarely watched.

MOONLIGHTING - I found the show to suffer a severe decline in quality in S4 and become completely unwatchable in S5. Having S1-S3, I feel I have "the best of" Moonlighting.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
The Simpsons- I will not get any seasons beyond season 7. The show went downhill after that.

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator
Lois and Clark - It went downhill after season 1, but season 4 is the only one I'm not interested in. The first two Tempus eps were pretty good though.

Someone mentioned that Angel S4 was not a priority, but I thought that was easily the best season. But then I also liked Buffy S1, so what do I know.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The Brady Bunch-My favorite show, but the DVNR applied to these transfers is downright ugly...plus all of the vacation episodes have altered episode cast boxes.

Rocky and Bullwinkle-just couldn't get into it anymore
Soap-found out S1 and others are edited
Oz-too expensive
Star Trek-waiting for HD to complete my collection

Mary_P

Second Unit
Not abandoned, exactly, since I never planned to buy more than I bought: The West Wing. I was interested in and bought the Sorkin/Schlamme seasons, 1-4. I continued watching most of the broadcast episodes after that, but sorta in the same way many people watch "Saturday Night Live": hoping for some glimpse of its former brilliance and usually being disappointed. There were a few episodes I enjoyed in the later seasons, so I might still pick them up if I see them cheap enough, but not at $40 a pop.

exliontamer

Agent
Real Name
Mark
The Waltons: I quit after the second season. The stories became less involving, and once John-Boy went off to college (in season 3, I believe) and the other kids were featured more prominently I lost interest (some of them were awful actors). If I remember right, this is one of those series that went on about three times longer than it should have anyway.

Dallas: Amazingly, I haven't given up on this one. I promised myself I'd stop after Jim Davis's final season, but I bought the one after his death and it turned out to be my second-favorite after season 1. Fans rave about the upcoming fifth season (WB is calling it the sixth), so I'll give that a try, too. I guess I'm hooked.

mannix

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
tim
seinfeld, i have just got bored with it over the last couple years

John-M

Stunt Coordinator

Same here, I won't stop until it is all complete but however, it will be the first time that I will be stopping collecting after ER Season 8 since it is not the same after Dr. Greene (Anthony Edwards) died and haven't watched ER ever since he died and whenever I start collecting the Simpons season sets, I will be stopping after Season 10, after Season 10, the show went way downhill and haven't watched the Simpsons since

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The West Wing after season4.

I tried to gve it the benefit of the doubt after Sorkin left, but season 5 was absolutely dire, and I left after the Sesame Street episode. I came back for season 6, but it took about half a season to really commit to watching it again, and even then there was a lot of bad stuff you had to put up with for the good material. I really have liked the 7th season, and would probably consider picking it up - but I'd be too aware of the missing seasons in between 4 and 7, and there is no way I'm spending money on season 5.

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
Would anyone consider buying a show if who heard the 1st season was great but not buy any seasons after that because the show declined?

I did a blind buy on Carnivale and Deadwood seasons 1, but have read from quite a few sources(web sites and forum posters) that it declines somewhat after that. So I am thinking, stop after season 1 and just think of the shows as if they werent even on anymore.

For example, I bought the first two seasons of 'Dead Like Me' even though I knew it was only 2 seasons and had no real conclusion, but the episodes I got to watch were a pure joy to watch.

I know I could always Netflix them but I used to have it and my useage was VERY hit and miss. Some months I would only watch 3 or 4 dvds. So I figure I can save over $200 that way a year and dvd's are my only real vice.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
To each his own but I think you've read posters who have internet-itis (symptoms include crying "The new season isn't as good as the first season!" whether it is or isn't :) ). Deadwood was flat out incredible all three years and the second season of Carnivale was the pay off for the slow buildup of the first year. I can see how you wouldn't want to spend $70 or $80 on something that you may not like but since you have Netflix, you definitely should check it out.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine anyone saying that Carnivale declined in season 2 - if anything, it stepped everything up a notch. I can imagine people being annoyed that the show was cancelled on a cliffhanger - but honestly, if you ignore the last couple of minutes of the show, it ends in a satisfying way - the first two seasons were concieved of as the first "book" in a six-season, three-"book" story, and the cliffhanger was more about establishing the second "book".

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
good to hear about Carnivale and Deadwood. Once they drop in price I will probably pick them up.

I would netflix them(which I dont have anymore) but I found in the years I did have it, I wouldnt TV shows very fast so it was kind of a waste. I was sporadic in my viewing, unless the show frequently ended in cliffhangers like Alias or MI-5.

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Anything lasting more than a couple seasons I won't bother with, reason being that I'll never watch it enough, if even once, to justify the purchase. I had bought the first season of The Simpsons, but I can't imagine spending the time and money to buy all of it, or even half of it. That's the one thing I like about British shows having short seasons (or series, as they call them); you can watch a full season in an evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks