What's new

Showerhead Woes (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey all,

I almost feel weird posting this but you all have helped me on some odd off topics before so I am sure you will come through again. This is going to be a long winded post to come to a point I am almost already sure of, but then to ask of a possible solutution.

First off you need to know my situation. I am living with my grandparents while I attend school in San Francisco. I have been here since last August. They live in a house they have literally lived in all it's life, which is now over 50 years. When I moved in I brought my shower head with me. They just have a standard deal (shower massage I think) but I have a nicer one with the hand held shower and multiple settings. So I hook mine up no problem. House has good water pressure, really good actuallu and I enjoy my shower.

It's important to note that thishttp://www.neatitems.com/images/Flow_Control_Valve.jpg
is installed on the pipe before the showerhead. It was already there and I didn't remove it. I think my grandpa is the only one that uses it to cut off the water while he washes up.

Anyway several months go by. About a month ago, I noticed the shower head had lost alot of pressure. I thought maybe it was just getting clogged and I frankly used it as an excuse to buy a new nicer shower head. I liked the one I had but only used about 2 settings. So I got a newer one (A Waterpix Shower Massage, just like I always get.

It works perfect for a few weeks and then I realize it all of a sudden has really crappy pressure! So I take the thing off the pipe and have a look. I quickly find the problem. Inside the very top end of the shower head where it connects to the wall pipe there is a "Filter" that keeps stuff out of the shower head itself like rocks or whatever could get in there. The filter has been crushed but only a few are still open to let water through... and there I have the cause of my loss in water pressure.

I dont yet think about WHY the thing is crushed. I go get the other shower head (which I had saved) to pull out it's filter and notice it too has been crushed!

I have searched in several hard ware stores and can not find a replacement filter... maybe a more sturdier built one. In the mean time I used a mesh screen to make a filter in the neck of the shower head bracket just so it will have a screen, but it does not slow water pressure at all.

This morning, my brother emails me to tell me the shower head has broke. For those who have seen a hand held shower head. The neck connects to the pipe in the wall and the water shoots to a dead end (past which is the holder for the shower head) and 90 degrees down is where the pipe hose connects to go to the shower head. Right at the dead end the plastic has cracked and now sprays water towards the wall.

Getting to my point... finally. I need to find out what is causing this. My theory is it's the water saver thing I mentioned earlier. I am thinking maybe having it off and then suddenly letting the water flow is slamming into the filters and shower head and literally crushing them. Does that sound about right?

Should I take off the water saver? Or is there something else I can buy to slow the pressure a bit? Right now, with no filter screen in place the water is almost TOO strong. The hot water runs out too fast in the morning.

I also need to find a new shower head filter screen if anyone knows where I can buy one... preferably more sturdier. Like I said I have the WaterPix "Shower Massage" line http://www.showermassage.com/product...45#LargerImage

Is it possible my shower head is just not a good match for this house? Even if I take off the flow saver, is it going to be a "ticking time bomb" before the water punches through another shower head neck or filter?

Thanks for reading. Hope someone can help!

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Are you sure you aren't over tightening it? One of my friends always had a problem with the aerator and/or gasket getting crushed because he always had the showerhead on far too tight. I think most people tighten them until the thing will no longer move a fraction of an inch because they think it will prevent leaking, but it can do just the opposite if the gasket is damaged. Try using some Teflon tape on the supply pipe and give the showerhead a snug tightening...don't keep turning and turning it until it won't budge.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
You are talking about the shower head actually attaching to the pipe on the wall right... not tighting that too much? I do have it on there pretty tight, so I can loosen it.

Not to sound dumb though but I am not sure how having it slightly less tight is going to fix the water pressure slamming and destroying those filters. :)

Thank you for the reply though. I need to fix this!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think the thought is that YOU are crushing and destroying the filters yourself by over-tightening the connections. Engineers who design these things have taken water pressures into account. The only thing they cannot control is the torque used by the installer. And if you've damaged the filter that's now in there, loosening it won't fix it. You'll need another new filter.

Just tighten with your fingertips until it won't turn easily anymore. You don't need to arm-wrestle it, and you certainly don't need to use a wrench.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Oh I see what you mean now.

No I am sure it was not me who crushed the water filter. For one thing the shower head was fine for several weeks (full pressure) before it started going bad. If I crushed it, it would be bad immediately.

Also the filter is pretty deep inside the shower head pipe connector, and the pipe I am screwing it onto and the filter never really touch, since the pipe is of course a ring.

I managed to find a replacement part at Home Depot for the piece the water (apparantly) ripped through the other day. I dont think overtightning would account for that on a month old shower head would it?

The part I got is the neck peice that attacks to the pipe in the wall, holds the shower head, and the shower head hose. It doesn't have a filter and seems kind cheap but it's all I could find. I don't think Waterpix offers parts like that I sure don't want to spend $60 for a new head already.

Are there things I can buy out there to drop the pressue a bit?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks