What's new

Press Release Shout Factory Press Release: Transformers The Movie (1986) (4k UHD Steelbook) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I only know one adult that went in blind never having watched a minute of the cartoon. Big mistake on his part as he hated every minute. A big fan of the series as a kid there was was just so much going on I even had a hard time keeping up. Second time was much better. I'm not going to argue the fact that this was a 90 minute commercial designed to kill off the old toys, and introduce a massive wave of newer ( and cheaper produced) action figures. It was, but it was also pretty bold in the approach.

I went in with exposure to the Michael Bay movies and a general prior knowledge of the franchise, but I'd never seen the cartoons.

Thought it was a mess and a long commercial for toys!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I went in with exposure to the Michael Bay movies and a general prior knowledge of the franchise, but I'd never seen the cartoons.

I'd hate to think what I would think of it not being 12 and seeing it on the big screen at the time, and loving the cartoon series.

I just remember being very disappointed that some major characters were killed off. But my friend chilled me out, and got a bunch of the new toys for his birthday, so all was nearly forgotten later, and I was bought into the new Transformers storylines, and figures.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'd hate to think what I would think of it not being 12 and seeing it on the big screen at the time, and loving the cartoon series.

I just remember being very disappointed that some major characters were killed off. But my friend chilled me out, and got a bunch of the new toys for his birthday, so all was nearly forgotten later, and I was bought into the new Transformers storylines, and figures.

Just like Hasbro wanted! :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
John C. Reilly dancing in the sound booth will always be one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

"You think the bass is taking away from the vocals?"

I saw "Boogie Nights" back in 1997 but I didn't know "The Touch" was from "Transformers" until I saw the Blu-ray in 2016.

At first I was like "why does this song sound familiar?" and then eventually the light bulb went off! :D

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

It is a mess, on every narrative and artistic level. It is a long commerical for toys.

My enduring love for it cannot be rationalized.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It is a mess, on every narrative and artistic level. It is a long commerical for toys.

Same! Transformers weren’t my toy of choice in the 80s and this movie is a thinly veiled shill for new toys, but dang it...I’ve owned every version on home video and the soundtracks. Of course I’m getting the 4k version. And sing along to all the songs and enjoy the crap out of it!

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Same! Transformers weren’t my toy of choice in the 80s and this movie is a thinly veiled shill for new toys, but dang it...I’ve owned every version on home video and the soundtracks. Of course I’m getting the 4k version. And sing along to all the songs and enjoy the crap out of it!

I'll be damned if my heart doesn't swell both times "The Touch" blares on the soundtrack - both at the beginning and its reprise at the end.

And yes, I thought its use in Boogie Nights was hilarious.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I feel so relieved that you 2 accept it's an awful movie even though you love it.

I feared a major argument with people who claimed it was cinematic genius and their childhood affection was irrelevant! :D

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I feel so relieved that you 2 accept it's an awful movie even though you love it.

I feared a major argument with people who claimed it was cinematic genius and their childhood affection was irrelevant! :D
I think we all have those things we know, on an intellectual level, aren’t good...but we enjoy them anyway. I’m adult enough to acknowledge shortcomings.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I can't imagine what I'd think of the movie if I'd first seen it as an adult. Probably something akin to how I look at Power Rangers with total bafflement. But that show clearly hit with its target audience at the time it was released in much the same way the Transformers cartoon hit with my generation.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think we all have those things we know, on an intellectual level, aren’t good...but we enjoy them anyway. I’m adult enough to acknowledge shortcomings.

There's certainly a nostalgia factor that plays a big role!

I tend to be pretty hard on movies I loved as a kid that actually suck, though - I curse my youthful stupidity! :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine what I'd think of the movie if I'd first seen it as an adult. Probably something akin to how I look at Power Rangers with total bafflement. But that show clearly hit with its target audience at the time it was released in much the same way the Transformers cartoon hit with my generation.

I wasn't baffled when I watched the movie - other than my attempts to figure out why people liked the film beyond nostalgia, that is.

I knew the movie had a decent fan base, and that made me think it might actually be good on its own merits.

Ironically, I'd probably enjoy it more a second time because I'd have zero expectations!

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I wasn't baffled when I watched the movie - other than my attempts to figure out why people liked the film beyond nostalgia, that is.

I knew the movie had a decent fan base, and that made me think it might actually be good on its own merits.
Oh, it's pure nostalgia now. The cheeseball soundtrack is great fun, but can only be listened to ironically. I love the corniness of the "distant future" year of 2005, where all humans wear monogrammed jumpsuits and the kids ride rocket-powered hoverboards.

When I was 12, though, having watched the TV cartoon every day after school for a couple years, the death of Optimus Prime hit like a sledgehammer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks