What's new

Press Release Shout Factory Press Release: Transformers The Movie (1986) (4k UHD Steelbook) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
291476_front.jpg 291477_front.jpg

In the year 2005, the Autobots and the Decepticons are still locked in battle, but a deadly new force enters the fray--a giant killer planet known as Unicron. The heroic Autobots must fight for their own survival and to save their home planet from destruction. A classic of 1980s animation, based on the popular TV series.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
In 1986, this movie was such a big deal to all 7 year olds like myself, and such a non-event to all our parents.
I was really hyped about this film! I think I was 9 or 10. I remember how horrified I was to see Optimus Prime bite the dust and Megatron as well. The one that really hurt me though was my favorite Decepticons, Skywarp and Thundercracker get merged with Insecticons to turn into Cyclonus and Scourge.
I actually never bought any of the new figures after the movie for awhile and I think Blurr was the only one from the movie I eventually picked up. It was a really emotional period for me. Haha. I collected the comics and watched all the tv episodes back then. I started drifting more to GI Joe at that point. I had some of their toys already but I concentrated on them after this movie.

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Another copy of Transformers: The Movie I will certainly buy and inevitably be disappointed by. One can hope this "restoration" is better than Shout! Factory's last Blu-ray restoration, but I'm not holding my breath.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Is there anyone who loves this movie who didn't come to it as a kid?

I didn't see it until I was nearly 50. I was 19 when it came out, so not in the target audience then.

Honestly curious to know if there's anyone who loves the film without that childhood connection...

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

I didn't see it until I was nearly 50. I was 19 when it came out, so not in the target audience then.

Honestly curious to know if there's anyone who loves the film without that childhood connection...

Can't imagine. This movie appeals to a very narrow target audience of nostalgic adults who first saw it as kids. Older viewers would likely be perplexed by it, and younger kids raised on the live action Michael Bay movies would find it too cheesy.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Another copy of Transformers: The Movie I will certainly buy and inevitably be disappointed by. One can hope this "restoration" is better than Shout! Factory's last Blu-ray restoration, but I'm not holding my breath.
I thought the shout! Blu ray was great. At least to my eyes. What did you dislike?

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I thought the shout! Blu ray was great. At least to my eyes. What did you dislike?

The black levels were super elevated and the film elements were covered in dirt and debris that - in direct contradiction to what was claimed in the restoration featurette - was not cleaned up at all.

Also, the audio quality was terrible. But this movie has always had an awful sound mix, so there probably wasn't much to be done about that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
This movie is still the best Transformers movie out there !
I already ordered the steelbook from Shout !

Maybe GI Joe the Movie will be next ! :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I only know one adult that went in blind never having watched a minute of the cartoon. Big mistake on his part as he hated every minute. A big fan of the series as a kid there was was just so much going on I even had a hard time keeping up. Second time was much better. I'm not going to argue the fact that this was a 90 minute commercial designed to kill off the old toys, and introduce a massive wave of newer ( and cheaper produced) action figures. It was, but it was also pretty bold in the approach.
The black levels were super elevated and the film elements were covered in dirt and debris that - in direct contradiction to what was claimed in the restoration featurette - was not cleaned up at all.

Also, the audio quality was terrible. But this movie has always had an awful sound mix, so there probably wasn't much to be done about that.
Apparently this is the same 4K scan done for the previous BD a few years ago.
Maybe the HDR will make it worthwhile.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

I’ll have to watch it again, but I don’t recall any of that.

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Apparently this is the same 4K scan done for the previous BD a few years ago.
Maybe the HDR will make it worthwhile.

The scan itself probably doesn't need to be redone. It would be a big improvement if they can fix the black levels in the grading and actually do some of the dirt and scratch removal they claimed to do last time. (Perhaps someone forgot to hit the Save button when they were done?)

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Anyone bought the soundtrack back in the day? I had it on cassette for years, and bought the cd later on. Outside of the Stan Bush songs, I always really dug the NRG song “instruments of destruction” even though it reminds me of the traumatic visions of Prowl, Ironhide and Ratchet getting blown away. Oh yeah, Brawn too.

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Anyone bought the soundtrack back in the day? I had it on cassette for years, and bought the cd later on. Outside of the Stan Bush songs, I always really dug the NRG song “instruments of destruction” even though it reminds me of the traumatic visions of Prowl, Ironhide and Ratchet getting blown away. Oh yeah, Brawn too.

Yup, had it on cassette back in the day. Have it on my phone now. :)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
THE TOUCH and DARE are two of my all time favourite songs. In fact, the soundtrack was the VERY FIRST thing I ever bought from Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Digimont
Recent bookmarks