What's new

Should receiver auto-detect DD-EX? (1 Viewer)

Robert Cobb

Agent
I've recently added a rear-center speaker and am a bit confused by the behavior with Dolby Digital EX encoded discs like TPM. I expected my receiver (Yamaha RXV-1200) to auto-detect that the disc is EX encoded, but I have to manually invoke the Matrix decoder every time I put an EX disc in. The receiver does auto-detect DTS-ES discs like Chicken Run. Anyone know of a setup error that could cause this or if this is operating as designed?

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
some discs are incorrectly flagged

I have the RX-V3000 and keep it on 6.1 channel set up all the time(manually)

Brian_Crist

Auditioning
The majority of EX encoded dvds don't have the proper flag. And if I recall correctly, a problem that the EX flag was causing with respect to certain receivers has delayed the time when all dvds will be properly flagged. There is a good list of EX dvds over at URL=http://www.docdvd.com/exdvds.shtml]http://www.docdvd.com/exdvds.shtml[/url].

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
All true. In fact, I can think of only two DVDs properly flagged for EX. Disney's Atlantis, and Universal's Jurassic Park III. I've also heard that the French language track on Pearl Harbor is flagged, but this is actually flagged incorrectly as Pearl Harbor is not an EX mix.

-Lyle J.P.

Robert Cobb

Agent
Thanks for the replies. I remember the flagging problem that caused problems with drop-outs on Onkyo receivers. Is that what you are referring to?

Anyway, I have JP3 but always just listened to DTS. I'll try the EX track. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks