What's new

Should my receiver get DVD-A signal as multi-channel? (1 Viewer)

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
I just bought a Panasonic DVD player(DVDF85) with DVD-A capability. I have it hooked up to my receiver(SONY) via the optical connection. When I play a DVD-A disc the receiver sees the signal and decodes it as as Dolby Pro Logic- not 5.1 multichannel. Is this right? As far as I know everything is set up right in the DVD menu and it does play DD & DTS DVDs ok. Must I use the 5.1 analog outputs instead of the optical to get multichannel to my receiver?

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
the reason behind this, as I understand it, is that optical nor digital coax support a high enough resolution/bitrate for DVD-A (or SACD) and thus require the use of 5.1 analog cables.

I just ordered a set of twisted-pair analog cables for mine as well.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
They do support a high enough bit rate. The reason is that the music company's don't want us making bit-perfect copies of the high-rez formats so they force the manufacturers to only output it via the analog connections

marc

Stunt Coordinator
I hooked my F85 up to my Denon 3200 and it sounds great. Yes, you must use the 5.1 output and input, not the optical or digital coax. Buy the Queen DVD-A, it is incredible.

Marc

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Yes, you must use the 5.1 output and input, not the optical or digital coax.
You may want to do both, since the DD/DTS decoder in your receiver may be superior to the one in the player, of for no other reason it will likely have better bass management and time alignment.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks