What's new

Should I set my Progressive Scan Player to 480i or 480p? (1 Viewer)

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
Just bought a JVC XV-N40 for my 16:9 tv. It says "Digital Direct Progressive Scan" on the front. There is a switch on the back that has 3 settings: Remote, 480p, and 480i. Which of these should I set it to? What do they mean?
Thanks.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Use remote then your remote control can switch between progressive and interlaced. Try each and see which you like better. You need a digital/HDTV to use progressive, if you have an old analog TV you can only use interlaced. If you need interlaced just select that with the switch on the back.

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
Whats the difference between progressive scan and interlaced? Are they used on different types of televisions?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes progressive scan requires a digital/HDTV, interlaced is the old standard used by analog TVs. Interlace sends 60 fields/sec (each field is half of a frame, but the two fields don't always match up) while progressive sends 60 full frames/sec. With interlaced you can get combing where movement causes fields to mis-match.

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:
while progressive sends 60 full frames/sec.
Actually, I believe it's 30 full frames per second.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Jake, 480p progressive will be the best choice for the Toshiba you own.

Cliff, it is indeed 60 frames/sec. You're probably confused with interlace where 60 fields per second equals 30 frames per second (well, sort of...).

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
Generally, it's 30 frames per second interlaced for video sources, 24 frames per second progressive for film sources.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes film-based sources are originally 24frames/sec but 480p always outputs at 60frames/sec. For film source they duplicate frames in a 2 then 3 multiple to get an average 2.5x frame rate since 60=2.5*24.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks