What's new

Help with DVD player and television? (1 Viewer)

clarkS

Auditioning
I have a JVC progressive scan DVD player (with outputs on the back of 480p and 480i) hooked with component video into my Yamaha 1400 a/v receiver going to my Toshiba HD CRT rear projection television.

What should I set my DVD player to? I have it set to 480p right now. Also, my television setting brings up formats 540p and 1080i which confuses me even more. I'm not sure what these formats mean.

Could someone please help explain this to me? What should I set my DVD player(480i or 480p) and television(1080i or 540p) to. I mainly watch DVD's.

Would it be worth upgrading to a DVD player with HDMI interface and capabilities of upscaling to 720p/1080i?

Opinions really matter.

Thanks a lot,

Clark

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Are you having a problem watching dvds or are you just looking for an optimal set up? As your tv is HD compatible, you should set your dvd player to 480p. There is a great FAQ section and home theater primer right here in the basics forum. You should read it. The "p" after the numbers you are reading means "progressive" and the "i" means "interlaced". The numbers indicate the number of lines of resolution, so 480p means 480 lines of resolution, progressive scan and 480i means 480 lines, interlaced. More lines = good, however, in very very very basic terms, a progressive scan picture is twice as sharp as an interlaced picture. Try a couple of settings and see which gives you the best picture. Is your tv 16:9 (widescreen) aspect ratio or 4:3 (conventional)? The other important setting on your dvd player is to match the aspect ratio. Start there and then see how the picture looks and report back. Good luck.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Set your DVD player to output at 480p, then watch the images on the RPTV at 540p (the Tosh doesn't have "480p").

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The disadvantage of a 1080i or 540p DVD player is that the TV might lock in 16:9, making 4:3 DVD pictures permanently stretched squatty looking.

The TV's 540p/1080i setting controls the appearance of the picture and all incoming source material works with both settings. Always use 1080i for HDTV, choose either for DVD and ordinary broadcasts depending on what looks better. The 540p choice usually looks crisper but you may see gaps between scan lines.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks