What's new

Should I go see Lawrence of Arabia? (1 Viewer)

Scott McAllister

Stunt Coordinator
Tonight is the last night it's playing at the Arclight.

I want to see it, but I want to make sure it's worth the 11 bucks. The DVD is widescreen as well.

Any opinions? ALl help appreciated.

-Scott

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Scott McAllister

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all. It'll be me and my girlfriend. I won't be back at my apartment until 12 and I have to get up at 7 for work, so I'm really hoping this is a good movie. It is in 70mm, by the way.

I've heard from practically everybody I know that I shouldn't miss this movie, especially since it's in the theater in 70.

-Scott

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Seeing this movie in 70mm after being severely underwhelmed and bored by the DVD, was like like seeing an entirely different film. Now I love it.

Tim_Stonesifer

Stunt Coordinator
GO! This movie is AMAZING in the theater!! I just got back from seeing it and I was blown away. I saw it for the first time over the summer, and knowing it was showing here in Boston, I just couldn't pass up the chance. Don't worry about the money - I would have paid $20 for this once in a lifetime experience.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
If ever there was a film that literally cries out to be seen on the big screen, especially in 70mm, it is Lawrence of Arabia.
I can only hope that your experience in watching this great movie in 70mm was half as good as mine! :emoji_thumbsup:

DawnF

Auditioning
I think this is a movie that whether you think you will like it or not, you should still see it at least once in your life. Prior to seeing it for the first time, my fiance insisted that it's one of those important movies that everyone should see. I hate to say it but I didn't really think it was that great in terms of entertainment value, but I can still recognize that for any movie buff it's an important movie to see, and I'm glad I did. :)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Even if Lawrence of Arabia is available in your area, and the print was....
-Only 195-200 minutes long with footage missing
-In 35mm, so the image is masked on the top and bottom to 2.40:1
-In shrill, noisy mono
-The big scrawling "INTERMISSION" logo replaced with an optical fade to a grey card saying "Intermission"
-Frequent dirt
-An average of 100-125 splice marks, scratches and several hand-punched reel changeover markers
-Presented on a common width screen, so the image is actually smaller than a flat 1.85:1 film
...it would STILL be worth seeing. Seriously, this is the only time I've seen Larry theatrically (at the University of Victoria) and it was still a good experience, because the great film got in the way. If 70mm Larry was within 100 miles of me, I'd be there. Maybe even 200. :)
This is probably useless since you've probably watched the film already at the Arclight, but hey, I like telling the story. :)
Jason

Scott McAllister

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, thanks to all you guys who replied about this. There seems to be an overwhelming contigent of those who praise this movie on the forum.
I did go see it, and I throughly enjoyed it. Especially the huge, scrawling "INTERMISSION". :)
However, on a night where I should have been overjoyed at seeing this movie in its intended vision, I was devastated to realize that I had lost my wallet, and as of this writing, it still has not been found.
As anybody who has been to the Arclight knows, the area would not be a place you would ever get a wallet back.
Anyway, thanks for posting.
-Scott

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Hope you found your wallet.

Was impressed and delighted with the DVD, but was struck with AWE at the film on the Big Screen. Worth every penny.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
As anybody who has been to the Arclight knows, the area would not be a place you would ever get a wallet back.
That's true but hopefully, someone else who is nice would have done the right thing and turn it in.

Anyway, nice to see that you enjoyed the film.

~Edwin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks