What's new

Should I Give Amazon a Break? (1 Viewer)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Rick Thompson said:
Putting in your cart is not the same as buying it because you haven't made any commitment. If you haven't made a commitment, why should they?
Because it is identical to walking around a B&M, putting something in your cart with the shown price and then when you get to the register, sorry price went up. I worry about this case with stores using electronic displays for price. They could pull off the same BS. Otherwise what would prevent them from always raising the price the moment you put it in the cart and claiming it was a 'normal' price increase?

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Chuck Anstey said:
Because it is identical to walking around a B&M, putting something in your cart with the shown price and then when you get to the register, sorry price went up. I worry about this case with stores using electronic displays for price. They could pull off the same BS. Otherwise what would prevent them from always raising the price the moment you put it in the cart and claiming it was a 'normal' price increase?
But you're not walking around in a store. You haven't made the commitment to get in your car and go to the store or walk in the store at the mall. You've just clicked on Amazon in your browser at home. Still, I think you have a valid point about getting a one-hour or maybe 30-minute price freeze on an item from the time you put it in the cart (Why don't you suggest it to Amazon?). I wouldn't go beyond that, though. I've been known to leave items in my cart for days or even weeks, and certainly don't expect a price freeze that long.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I actually use my cart (and the save for later) sections specifically to keep an eye on items that I don't feel a rush to buy at full price, but that I'd get if they dropped below a certain price. I try to log in once a day, and I love when I go to the cart and it tells me that items have dropped and shows me what to. I've basically got all of my DVDs that have Blu-ray upgrades available in the cart, and anytime one drops cheap enough, I'll pick it up.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Josh Steinberg said:
I actually use my cart (and the save for later) sections specifically to keep an eye on items that I don't feel a rush to buy at full price, but that I'd get if they dropped below a certain price. I try to log in once a day, and I love when I go to the cart and it tells me that items have dropped and shows me what to. I've basically got all of my DVDs that have Blu-ray upgrades available in the cart, and anytime one drops cheap enough, I'll pick it up.
You all know that there are Wish Lists and camelcamelcamel.com / The Camelizer plugin for that, right? I have a list of about 50 Blus I am waiting for the right price in my Movies Wish List and email notification from camelcamelcamel that one of them has hit my target price.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Chuck Anstey said:
You all know that there are Wish Lists and camelcamelcamel.com / The Camelizer plugin for that, right? I have a list of about 50 Blus I am waiting for the right price in my Movies Wish List and email notification from camelcamelcamel that one of them has hit my target price.
I actually didnt, thanks for the tip.

Although, I probably don't want to be notified that stuff is onsale besides when I'm browsing -- I spend too much there already :)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Josh Steinberg said:
I actually didnt, thanks for the tip.

Although, I probably don't want to be notified that stuff is onsale besides when I'm browsing -- I spend too much there already :)
I set my target prices at what I'm willing to pay without question, which is very low and may never be that price. The Camelizer plugin is great for showing you the historical price highs and lows so you know what the lowest price it ever was. Many of my target prices are well below that, typically $5 to $10 for 2D and $10 to $15 for 3D. What can I say? I am not going to repeat the mistakes of DVD where I would routinely spend $20 a movie and then look upon $8000 worth of movies and think "I'm not sure that was a good use of $8 grand". Now its 'On the order of the cost of a rental ($5 with cost of rental and gas) or nothing' except in specific circumstances. Not that I haven't got almost 400 Blus (and 61 HD-DVDs) now and probably are close to 5 grand but I have a lot more movies for my money.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The benefit of holding items in your cart instead of just a Wishlist is the list of price changes that you see when you return to the cart. It doesn't look at third-party seller prices, though.

I haven't spent much time with camelcamelcamel, so I'm not familiar with its features.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Wish Lists show price changes too compared to when you added it. Plus you can put a comment to the side that lists the price you are looking for (or anything else free form text) so you can easily tell if the item is at or below the price you decided you were willing to pay, in addition to having different lists for different types of items, setting priority and allowing others to see the list around gift giving time.

One thing Amazon does is make it easy to spend money.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I mainly put things in my cart that aren't "buy it right away" items. On our TV on DVD forum here I often see shows being plugged I've never watched. I've added a few of those to my cart so that when a bit of extra money happens by sometime I can remember I wanted to blind-buy that DVD set or, in some cases, a CD I've been looking for to replace a well-worn LP. If the price goes up, the price goes up.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just noticed that Amazon changed their policy in using their reward points in which you can't use them now on digital preorders such as the BD releases scheduled for this upcoming Tuesday. You can only use them for in-stock items or on the BD release date. It wasn't like that prior to the recent Warner dispute, but it is now.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Crawford said:
I just noticed that Amazon changed their policy in using their reward points in which you can't use them now on digital preorders such as the BD releases scheduled for this upcoming Tuesday. You can only use them for in-stock items or on the BD release date. It wasn't like that prior to the recent Warner dispute, but it is now.
I am not sure what kind of 'reward points' you are referring to.My Citi Thank You reward points used to be applicable to pre-orders, but that changed about 6-7 months ago (prior to the WHV issue)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David Weicker said:
I am not sure what kind of 'reward points' you are referring to.My Citi Thank You reward points used to be applicable to pre-orders, but that changed about 6-7 months ago (prior to the WHV issue)
I'm talking about the Amazon Rewards Card.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott Merryfield said:
I ran into that on an order I tried to place over a month ago. It surprised me, but it's not a huge deal to me. I place enough orders with Amazon that I just use the points on something else.
Not a huge deal with me either because it forces me not to preorder as many titles. This allows me to more time to think such purchases over and perhaps buy them at a lower price much later. Actually, this change might have done me a favor by giving me further discipline on my online purchases.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Robert Crawford said:
Not a huge deal with me either because it forces me not to preorder as many titles. This allows me to more time to think such purchases over and perhaps buy them at a lower price much later. Actually, this change might have done me a favor by giving me further discipline on my online purchases.
I ran into that myself. Chase points stopped working on pre-orders everywhere (cause they issue points, then the price might change...).I like buying used anyway. Already picked up True Detective used for $25. The code was used and they resold the set. Would have missed that by doing a pre-order.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Pardon me for posting to a cold thread but I thought of it yesterday when:

I ordered a Samsung TV for $668.00. Couple hours later, just for kicks I looked up the price on the TV and it had dropped to $647.00. I know Amazon is free to change prices at will but this just got under my skin. What I should do is cancel my original order and re-order at the new, lower price.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question...NO WAY!!! (I could be a little more blunt, but I'll keep it G-rated)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Steve_Pannell said:
Pardon me for posting to a cold thread but I thought of it yesterday when:

I ordered a Samsung TV for $668.00. Couple hours later, just for kicks I looked up the price on the TV and it had dropped to $647.00. I know Amazon is free to change prices at will but this just got under my skin. What I should do is cancel my original order and re-order at the new, lower price.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question...NO WAY!!! (I could be a little more blunt, but I'll keep it G-rated)
Amazon will give you the difference back, happens to me sometimes and i just contact them and they refund the difference.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
FoxyMulder said:
Amazon will give you the difference back, happens to me sometimes and i just contact them and they refund the difference.
Thanks.

I just called Amazon and they issued a refund for the difference. I didn't think they would honor a price change after a purchase is made. Guess I was wrong.

I guess it's easier to see them as a heartless entity but sometimes things work out in favor of the customer.

My opinion has changed somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks