Should I get a progressive scan player??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Victor Y, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Victor Y

Victor Y Agent

I have ordered a Philips 32PT8419 and should get here this week. The Philips has a very good line doubler and 3:2 pulldown. Should I get a progressive DVD player(I do not have an DVD player right now). Also the Philips also come with only 1 set of HD component input and 1 RGB connector input. If I get a Direct TV HDTV receiver, it that connected through the RGB and leave me with the HD component input for the DVD player. Thanks for any help.

2. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

If you plan on watching a lot of DVD's, yes, get a progressive scan player. Even with the TV's internal line doubler, the progressive scan in the dvd player will make a difference.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I agree with Stefan, especially since you're getting a new player. A good line doubler with 3:2 pulldown detection will do pretty much the same work as a p/s player, but using the line doubler requires additional digitial/analog conversions between the doubler and the player. A p/s player does it all in the digital domain. Also, many current p/s models will allow you to perform an internal zoom, which should provide superior results for nonanamorphic widescreen material (assuming your new set is 16:9).

M.