What's new

Should I get a progressive scan player?? (1 Viewer)

Victor Y

Agent
I have ordered a Philips 32PT8419 and should get here this week. The Philips has a very good line doubler and 3:2 pulldown. Should I get a progressive DVD player(I do not have an DVD player right now). Also the Philips also come with only 1 set of HD component input and 1 RGB connector input. If I get a Direct TV HDTV receiver, it that connected through the RGB and leave me with the HD component input for the DVD player. Thanks for any help.

Stefan A

Second Unit
If you plan on watching a lot of DVD's, yes, get a progressive scan player. Even with the TV's internal line doubler, the progressive scan in the dvd player will make a difference.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I agree with Stefan, especially since you're getting a new player. A good line doubler with 3:2 pulldown detection will do pretty much the same work as a p/s player, but using the line doubler requires additional digitial/analog conversions between the doubler and the player. A p/s player does it all in the digital domain. Also, many current p/s models will allow you to perform an internal zoom, which should provide superior results for nonanamorphic widescreen material (assuming your new set is 16:9).

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks