What's new

Should I buy a Dreamcast? (1 Viewer)

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I am basically looking for people to either talk me out of or into buying a Dreamcast system priced between $40 and $50. Money is a real issue for me and I haven't had a system since the Nintendo (original), so I don't know much about the gaming world. I guess my main concern is with the fact that since Sega has called it quits will it be hard to find games in a little while? The cheap prices and strong desire to get back to video games has pushed me to want to buy this system. What does every one think...is it worth it for me to do this, or should I just wait and get something later down the road when I can possibly afford it?

Thanks for your input.

-Eric

Andre F

Screenwriter
I'd say buy it. For $40-50 bucks you can't go wrong. Obviously you are stuck with the line up of games that is out there now, but there are some good games for the Dreamcast. I really, really wish it was still being supported by Sega as I liked that machine a lot.

-Andre F

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Eric,

I would only recommend a Dreamcast if you have access to the massive backlog of used and out-of-print titles. Is there a store in your area (like Babbages, etc) that sells used DC games?

The current lineup of new DC titles in mainstream B&M's is extremely anemic right now, limited to a few licensed titles (sports, movies, etc). The Dreamcast is a wonderful system if you can get your hands on the (quickly dwindling) back catalogue of games. If you are sure you can, then go for it.

One of the best consoles I've ever owned (and my first one was in '78).

Joseph

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

The prices I listed were used prices and can get it for those prices at a few local stores.

Everyone else,

Thanks to everyone for the responses thus far. I would still like some more, but it seems everyone is saying to go for it. Now it is just up to me to find and decide on the best deal.

-Eric

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
My Dreamcast died on me about six months ago and while I wouldn't pay $50 to get another one it just might be worth it for you. If you can find several interesting titles @ a good price then it is well worth the money.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Its slightly dull agreement with everyone else, but if you can find the games to go with it then go for it, absolutely. My purchase of anything newer is now going back to the summer at least, as I'm still having too much fun with mine! In fact, I rather suspect it will tide me over until Mario arrives on the Cube. There are some of the best games ever created, and even those that have been ported to the more expensive consoles are best at home here.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Personally, I think you are 2 months late. The DC price dropped in mid-December and B&M stores began clearing out their stock. Now most of it is gone and you will need to rely on the honesty of Ebay sellers for games. Most stores still have things like controllers, memory cards, and vibration packs, but the game selection is drying up fast.

I would see what games you want to buy first. Determine if you can get your hands on them. If so, then the $50 investment is the smartest one you could make. And if you TV capable of progressive scan, the graphics of some games can rival those of the PS2 (in my opinion).

But I think you should have made this decision a couple months ago. Best of luck with your decision!

Jason

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I picked one up at Christmas and I really enjoy it. Bestbuy has them new for around $50 and most of he games are $10.

You can also get a ton of cheap games at half.com. my favs right now are Crazy Taxi 1 and 2, Blitz 2000 and one of the Tomb Raiders.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Definitely if you can get one for that price i wouldnt hesitate...some great games for the DC like Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, Virtua Tennis, UFC, Samba De Amigo, Soul Calibur, Jet Grind Radio, Ooga Booga, NFL2K2, PSO, Daytona, Grandia2, MarvelvsCapcom, Code Veronica, SegaGT, Soul Reaver, MSR and others...

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I think this is a no-brainer. new console for the price of one xbox or PS2 game?

God -with games at 10 bucks, I think it's the biggest deal of the year.

Do yourself a favor and find a VGA adapter for it - the quality of the video when put into a monitor is much better - I think that it looks as good as PS2...

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I dont know why you guys are having so much trouble finding games. My local EB, Media play and Babbages still have a good stock of DC games. Anything from Soul Calibur to Samba De Amigo. I just bought Spiderman, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis and Illbleed from EB 2 days ago.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I have a DC I don't use. I have 9 or 10 games, 2 controllers, 2 VMU's, and extra memory card, and an extra arcade stick controller.
The games I have are Virtua Tennis, NFL 2k, WS 2k1 + 2k2, Soul Cailbur, MSR, SF3, NBA 2k1, and I think that covers it. Perhaps some other games I've forgotten...
If anyone is interested I'd consider selling it. If someone will give me ~$150 or a combination of money+trade, I would do it.
Is tennis going to be ported to the X-Box?? That's the game I really, really want, but never bought 2k2 because I was waiting for it to become cheap (and buy the vga box + transcoder).. and I'm a bit jobless right now and am trying to save money. :)
It's in perfect condition. I got it the week the DC was released. It really is a sweet system...

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
All the 2K2 sports games are supposed to be on all consoles.
Nope, not at all. All the *2K3* are supposed to be cross platform, but not all of the 2K2 ones are/will be. NHL2K2 is certainly not coming out for the other platforms I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks