X-Box or Gamecube...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Crosthwait, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Bill Crosthwait

Bill Crosthwait Second Unit

Hey everyone, I have a PS2 and now I am currently looking to purchase another system. I have been out of the video game loop for about a year. I was planning on buying a X-box, but according to the manager of a EB store, the X-Box will "go the way of the Dreamcast next year." Also he told me that Nintendo has a couple exclusive agreements with Capcom and now Namco games will only be release on GC. I am really unsure of what new system to buy. I don't want to spend over $300 on a system that will be supposedly discontinued next year or buy a system that games keep on getting delayed. Again I have been out of the video game loop, which system do you guys recommend or should I just stay with the PS2?
    Thanks

2. Luis Cruz

Luis Cruz Stunt Coordinator

I doubt the X-Box will go the way of the dreamcast. Microsoft has enough money to keep this system alive...and they already knew they weren't going to be the number one console with the X-Box anyways...they just wanted to get their feet wet. So I think the X-Box will hopefully be around as long as PS2 and Gamecube. And with all the games coming out for the X-Box, I don't think there's any need to worry. I myself and planning on getting an X-Box and one day a Gamecube...can't really stand that PS2 stuff. So I say go for the X-Box. But, that's just my opinion.

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Don't listen to the guys at EB stores. They like to talk it up so that they feel important, I guess. What kind of games do you like? That's the important thing...

-Dave

4. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Bill,

Lesson #1 for being in the videogame loop: Never, ever, ever, ever listen to the people at EB, Babbages, Software Etc., Best Buy, and anywhere else that sells videogames. They have no idea what is happening in the videogame world. The X-box is fantastic, especially for the $199 price tag. There are several great games on the system already and many coming. The Gamecube is also a great buy at $149 and also has several great games, plus Mario, Metroid, and Zelda will be out very soon.

As far as exclusive contracts go, Nintendo has the rights to Capcom's Resident Evil series (the remake of the original is spectacular). Namco is not exclusive to any console. SEGA makes games for all three systems, some are exclusive to certain consoles.

What types of games do you like to play? This will easily help you decide which console to buy.

-Dean-

5. eric_shepearl

I'd definately recommend both GameCube, and XBOX.
    If you like console gaming, you should buy both of them.

XBOX has fantastic games that won't be on GameCube such as HALO, JSRF, DOA3/volleyball...etc

GameCube has well-known classic titles such as Mario, Zelda, Metroid...etc
    At the end of the day I know that I couldn't be a gamer and miss out on the classics like Mario/Zelda.

They both are fantastic systems.

6. Bill Crosthwait

Hey everyone thanks for the responses. The types of games that I like are: FPS, Action, Adventure Resident Evil type games, role playing, flight Sims and of course Metal Gear. I now plan on buying both systems but right now I can only afford one new system and around Christmas I'll buy the other system. Also will Capcom redo Resident Evil 2, 3, Code Veronica for the GC? Thanks

7. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Hearing all these horror stories of fanboy employees really makes me appreciate the local EB I go to. The guys in that place have always been pretty cool, seem to genuinely like all three systems, and have no problems with selling Xboxen to people. Sounds like the place is in the minority compared to most EB's I hear about.

8. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Andy: You get one kind of fanboy at one store, and another kind at another store. None are immune, it seems. One store I go to (Video Gamesters) has an employee who's still pushing Dreamcast on everyone, while another (32nd Games) is all PS2 fanboys. Yet another one (Software, Etc.) is all Xbox fanboys.

Lesson learned: don't listen to the 16 year-olds making $5.25 an hour.

9. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    To assist you in your decision, I'm going to list the games I'm interested for both the GC and XBOX. Keep in mind, these are only what interests me, but it should give you an idea of some of the titles that may have potential. Also, some are coming out for both systems (Rayman for example). In most of these cases I have gone with the XBOX version since those versions have a better chance of being better than the GC version because of it's technical abilites (prog scan, 5.1 DD, etc...). At the very least they should be identical.

XBOX
    ------------------------------------
    Dead to Rights
    Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter
    Rayman 3
    Blinx
    Tork (maybe)
    Yager (maybe)
    Unreal Championship
    Brute Force
    Time Splitters 2
    Deathrow (maybe)
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Splinter Cell
    Ninja Gaiden
    The Unseen
    Malice (maybe)
    Toe Jam and Earl III (maybe)
    Steel Battalion
    Enclave
    Project Ego
    MK: Deadly Alliance (maybe)
    PSO2

I also may pick up one of the Mech games coming out for the XBOX...like Murakumo or Mech Assault. Also, Turok: Evolution is a 'maybe'. The first two games were so close to being very good, but fell short due some stupid gameplay issues that should have been easily fixed.

Gamecube
    --------------------------------------
    Metroid
    Zelda
    Mario
    Starfox Adventures
    Eternal Darkness (maybe)
    Wario World
    RE 0
    RE 4
    Animal Crossing (maybe)
    1080 White Storm

I'm sure there are other for the Cube that I will want, but that is all I can think of right now.

Aaron

10. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Aaron,
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the gamecube do progressive scan? I''m almost positive it can if the game supports it and you have the Component cables from Nintendo. I kow Rogue Leader mentions something about progressive scan in the manual.

11. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Yep, the Gamecube supports progressive scan. Just buy a set of Nintendo component cables and you're all set. Not all games support progressive scan, however.

12. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

13. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

AFAIK, TimeSplitters 2 will be on the GameCube as well (in the list Aaron posted, it wasn't in the GCN list).

Anyhoo, I think that Nintendo has proven themselves and Sony has more overall money than MS, so I think MS' cash has nothing to do with the console wars and shouldn't affect your decision.

The GameCube has Resident Evil 0-4 and CV. If you like RE, there's no other choice.

The X-Box has a lot of Sega games and some other exclusives, but some of the X-Box "exclusives" are just temporary exclusives (exclusive for 6 months or the XB versions get added features etc.).

If I had to recommend a GCN or XB, I'd say get the GameCube. For the price of an XB and two games you can get a GCN, two games, a memory card, and a second controller.

15. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well knowing my luck the Xbox will go the way of the Dreamcast I've always gone with the Underdog because they tend to be the better system. The DC was over the PS2 and the XBox is real nice. I owned a PS2 and it looked horriffic on my Widescreen Mits 65". The Xbox looks great with it's antialiasing, and 480p signal. Halo is fantastic.
    Will the Xbox go the way of the DC , perhaps but I'll enjoy it like I'm still enjoying my DC. Oh and I could use the Xbox's 10GB Hard drive to be a music Jukebox if it really went belly up.

16. Bill Crosthwait

I have a couple of questions. Are all of the X-Box games in DD 5.1? How long is the Resident Evil exclusivity agreement with Nintendo?

17. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

I wouldn't quite agree with that. There are some people out there who really know what they are talking about. I should know..I used to be one... [​IMG]

18. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

19. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Bill, all XBox games are 5.1. It's inherent to the hardware on the console.

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Resident Evil is exclusive to GameCube until they make RE0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and CV for GCN. When all of them are out, then the deal is done.