What's new

X-Box or Gamecube... (1 Viewer)

Bill Crosthwait

Second Unit
Hey everyone, I have a PS2 and now I am currently looking to purchase another system. I have been out of the video game loop for about a year. I was planning on buying a X-box, but according to the manager of a EB store, the X-Box will "go the way of the Dreamcast next year." Also he told me that Nintendo has a couple exclusive agreements with Capcom and now Namco games will only be release on GC. I am really unsure of what new system to buy. I don't want to spend over $300 on a system that will be supposedly discontinued next year or buy a system that games keep on getting delayed. Again I have been out of the video game loop, which system do you guys recommend or should I just stay with the PS2?
Thanks

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt the X-Box will go the way of the dreamcast. Microsoft has enough money to keep this system alive...and they already knew they weren't going to be the number one console with the X-Box anyways...they just wanted to get their feet wet. So I think the X-Box will hopefully be around as long as PS2 and Gamecube. And with all the games coming out for the X-Box, I don't think there's any need to worry. I myself and planning on getting an X-Box and one day a Gamecube...can't really stand that PS2 stuff. So I say go for the X-Box. But, that's just my opinion.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Don't listen to the guys at EB stores. They like to talk it up so that they feel important, I guess. What kind of games do you like? That's the important thing...

-Dave

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Bill,

Lesson #1 for being in the videogame loop: Never, ever, ever, ever listen to the people at EB, Babbages, Software Etc., Best Buy, and anywhere else that sells videogames. They have no idea what is happening in the videogame world. The X-box is fantastic, especially for the $199 price tag. There are several great games on the system already and many coming. The Gamecube is also a great buy at $149 and also has several great games, plus Mario, Metroid, and Zelda will be out very soon.

As far as exclusive contracts go, Nintendo has the rights to Capcom's Resident Evil series (the remake of the original is spectacular). Namco is not exclusive to any console. SEGA makes games for all three systems, some are exclusive to certain consoles.

What types of games do you like to play? This will easily help you decide which console to buy.

-Dean-

I'd definately recommend both GameCube, and XBOX.
If you like console gaming, you should buy both of them.

XBOX has fantastic games that won't be on GameCube such as HALO, JSRF, DOA3/volleyball...etc

GameCube has well-known classic titles such as Mario, Zelda, Metroid...etc
At the end of the day I know that I couldn't be a gamer and miss out on the classics like Mario/Zelda.

They both are fantastic systems.

Bill Crosthwait

Second Unit
Hey everyone thanks for the responses. The types of games that I like are: FPS, Action, Adventure Resident Evil type games, role playing, flight Sims and of course Metal Gear. I now plan on buying both systems but right now I can only afford one new system and around Christmas I'll buy the other system. Also will Capcom redo Resident Evil 2, 3, Code Veronica for the GC? Thanks

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Hearing all these horror stories of fanboy employees really makes me appreciate the local EB I go to. The guys in that place have always been pretty cool, seem to genuinely like all three systems, and have no problems with selling Xboxen to people. Sounds like the place is in the minority compared to most EB's I hear about.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Andy: You get one kind of fanboy at one store, and another kind at another store. None are immune, it seems. One store I go to (Video Gamesters) has an employee who's still pushing Dreamcast on everyone, while another (32nd Games) is all PS2 fanboys. Yet another one (Software, Etc.) is all Xbox fanboys.

Lesson learned: don't listen to the 16 year-olds making $5.25 an hour.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
To assist you in your decision, I'm going to list the games I'm interested for both the GC and XBOX. Keep in mind, these are only what interests me, but it should give you an idea of some of the titles that may have potential. Also, some are coming out for both systems (Rayman for example). In most of these cases I have gone with the XBOX version since those versions have a better chance of being better than the GC version because of it's technical abilites (prog scan, 5.1 DD, etc...). At the very least they should be identical.

XBOX
------------------------------------
Dead to Rights
Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter
Rayman 3
Blinx
Tork (maybe)
Yager (maybe)
Unreal Championship
Brute Force
Time Splitters 2
Deathrow (maybe)
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Splinter Cell
Ninja Gaiden
The Unseen
Malice (maybe)
Toe Jam and Earl III (maybe)
Steel Battalion
Enclave
Project Ego
MK: Deadly Alliance (maybe)
PSO2

I also may pick up one of the Mech games coming out for the XBOX...like Murakumo or Mech Assault. Also, Turok: Evolution is a 'maybe'. The first two games were so close to being very good, but fell short due some stupid gameplay issues that should have been easily fixed.

Gamecube
--------------------------------------
Metroid
Zelda
Mario
Starfox Adventures
Eternal Darkness (maybe)
Wario World
RE 0
RE 4
Animal Crossing (maybe)
1080 White Storm

I'm sure there are other for the Cube that I will want, but that is all I can think of right now.

Aaron

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Aaron,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the gamecube do progressive scan? I''m almost positive it can if the game supports it and you have the Component cables from Nintendo. I kow Rogue Leader mentions something about progressive scan in the manual.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Yep, the Gamecube supports progressive scan. Just buy a set of Nintendo component cables and you're all set. Not all games support progressive scan, however.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the gamecube do progressive scan? I''m almost positive it can if the game supports it and you have the Component cables from Nintendo. I kow Rogue Leader mentions something about progressive scan in the manual.
You are absolutely correct. I didn't mean to imply that the GC can't do pro-scan. It's just that only a few GC games actually support progressive scan while only a few XBOX do not. Technically, the PS2 can do progressive scan as well. There is supposedly an upcoming game (forgot which one) that is going to support it. But it's obviously most easily accomplished on the XBOX.

Aaron

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Also will Capcom redo Resident Evil 2, 3, Code Veronica for the GC? Thanks
RE 2, 3, and Code Veronica will be ports. However, with the remake of the original, the Gamecube will also see the exclusive releases of Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil 4.
According to the list of games you like to play, I would go with the X-box now and get the Cube 2nd. The X-box is going to see Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance and Splinter Cell, which is suppoded to be a Metal Gear killer (this means more playing and less watching. ;) ). You also can play Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams, Spider-Man, Unreal Championship, Morrowind, Star Wars: The Knights of the Old Republic, Hunter: The Reckoning, Blinx, Medal of Honor: Frontline, Shenmue 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and many others to please your gaming appetite. Some of these games have yet to be released, but will be within the next 6 months. However, there are many available now that will keep you occupied for awhile.
-Dean-

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
AFAIK, TimeSplitters 2 will be on the GameCube as well (in the list Aaron posted, it wasn't in the GCN list).

Anyhoo, I think that Nintendo has proven themselves and Sony has more overall money than MS, so I think MS' cash has nothing to do with the console wars and shouldn't affect your decision.

The GameCube has Resident Evil 0-4 and CV. If you like RE, there's no other choice.

The X-Box has a lot of Sega games and some other exclusives, but some of the X-Box "exclusives" are just temporary exclusives (exclusive for 6 months or the XB versions get added features etc.).

If I had to recommend a GCN or XB, I'd say get the GameCube. For the price of an XB and two games you can get a GCN, two games, a memory card, and a second controller.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well knowing my luck the Xbox will go the way of the Dreamcast I've always gone with the Underdog because they tend to be the better system. The DC was over the PS2 and the XBox is real nice. I owned a PS2 and it looked horriffic on my Widescreen Mits 65". The Xbox looks great with it's antialiasing, and 480p signal. Halo is fantastic.
Will the Xbox go the way of the DC , perhaps but I'll enjoy it like I'm still enjoying my DC. Oh and I could use the Xbox's 10GB Hard drive to be a music Jukebox if it really went belly up.

Bill Crosthwait

Second Unit
I have a couple of questions. Are all of the X-Box games in DD 5.1? How long is the Resident Evil exclusivity agreement with Nintendo?

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't quite agree with that. There are some people out there who really know what they are talking about. I should know..I used to be one... :)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Sony has more overall money than MS, so I think MS' cash has nothing to do with the console wars and shouldn't affect your decision.
I've heard this quite a few times here on this board, but nobody backs this up with concrete numbers. Money magazine just ran a feature article on Microsoft just two months ago saying that they have some obscene amount of money in cash at their headquarters. I cannot remember the figure (but I could find out), but what I do remember is that the article said they are accumulating an additional one BILLION dollars each month and have more cash on hand than the top 4 companies in the US COMBINED. The analogy was that Microsoft could purchase EVERY US professional sports team in EVERY major sport and still have billions left over.

Seeing as the US is the biggest economy in the world and Microsoft is 4X more profitable than any other US firm (by far), can somebody tell me where they are getting their figures regarding Sony? The Money article did mention the X-Box and Microsoft's plan for it. It also mentioned that Sony derives 37% of it's profits from PS2 revenue. That's a healthy chunk of their overall profitability and we all know that game systems are not as profitable as computer software. (Microsoft's operating profits are over 90% of gross total revenues). So please enlighten me as to how Sony is a bigger conglomorate and more powerful financially than Microsoft. Thanks.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Bill, all XBox games are 5.1. It's inherent to the hardware on the console.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Resident Evil is exclusive to GameCube until they make RE0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and CV for GCN. When all of them are out, then the deal is done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks