Shopping for XBR950

Discussion in 'Displays' started by CalvinCarr, Mar 9, 2004.

1. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

I went to Sound Advice to look at the XBR950. I asked all the normal questions and then asked the guy to show me a standard feed through their satelite. He played with it for 15 minutes before I finally got disgusted and left. He kept trying to put in a dvd sampler and saying this is what your digital cable would look like. Am I wrong for thinking....NOT....What kind of demo material should I bring with me?

2. Octavio

Octavio Stunt Coordinator

XBR950? What model is it? When was released?

Octavio

3. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

It's the new Sony 70XBR950 LCD rear projection with the built in HiDef tuner. It's a lot of money to spend not seeing what the set is capable of on both ends.

4. David Parrish

David Parrish Stunt Coordinator

Standard Def will look OK, but not great on the XBR. After two weeks with the XBR and now one week with a Tosh 57HX93 I can safely say the Tosh has a better SD pic, but the XBR's will be good enough for you I think.

If the majority of your viewing will be DVD and Hi-Def I wouldn't worry about it. If lighting is a major concern I think the XBR is the way to go. If lighting is not the major concern, I'd go CRT RPTV.

I think DLP or LCD will be the future, but we're on the hairy edge of a big price war and evolution in technology.

I finally decided to buy a CRT RPTV and wait a year or two for LCD and DLP to mature and get cheaper.

Of course. my next purchase will probably be a projector[​IMG]