What's new

Shiva Tensil Lead Slap (1 Viewer)

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Everyone,
A while ago I posted a topic about the shiva bottoming out. Well I finally got the time to investigate the problem, and I found that it was in-fact the tinsel leads slapping against the cone.
I was just wondering if it is ok to cover the leads in some sort of foam, or electric tape. It seems perfectly fine from my view as the leads shouldn't heat up enough to burn the tape, but I though I should ask for a second opinion anyway.
Thanks Everyone who's been with me on this. Il post pics of this beast in a few weeks when I get my digitcal camera. Cherry veneer really does look good :)

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
A better thing to do is just glue some felt or foam to the cone where the leads slap against it. You don't need a huge piece & wt won't be an issue. Do use non toxic glue :D

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
I was considering doing that, but I just dont feel right glueing anything permenately to the cone.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
I found that it was in-fact the tinsel leads slapping against the cone.
How did you go about diagnosing this? No one has reported this problem with Shivas since a very early production run years ago.

Usually one must be pounding a driver very hard to induce this situation. And it creates a buzzing sound that's quite different from the noise made by a driver bottoming.

During assembly the leads are formed so that they arch away from the cone. It's of course possible that there was an error made during assembly.

I suggest contacting Adire. They're currently at the CES so it may be a few days before you get a response. They'll likely just exchange the driver.

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
I carefully tried running the driver in free air, and it made the exact same sound that I described earlier when I actually saw the Tinsels slapping against the cone. I tried softly puttin my finger against one of the Leads, and the noice would stop.

I really dont want to go through everything it takes to exchange the driver seing as there are a few relitively easy solutions.

I found that if I take a piece of weather stripping and bend it around the tinsel lengthwise so the glue attaches to itself, that gets rid of the problem completely. Im just not 100% sure if its ok to leave the drivers like this for extended periods of time. It seemes perfecly fine in the 30 mins or so that I tested it.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't put anything extra on the Tinsels. You run a higher risk of breakage. 9 times out of 10 you would be fine but you never know.........
Thomas, I'm glad you posted. That reminded me I needed to email you :) .

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
J*M

My memory may betray me here..... As I recall with the early run of Shiva's there was an in-the-field fix that involved repositioning the bend in the leads with a drop of glue.

I'd suggest firing off an email or calling Adire. They'll probably have a DIY solution for you.

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Np everyone, problem solved.

I took a few pieces of weather stripping and attached it to the cone where the tinsel woudl slap.

Fired it up and it works perfecly. Not too much louder before bottoming out though. And this time im 99% sure thats bottoming because there's a very loud poping sound and I couldnt imagine the amp clipping that way.

So thanks for you help everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks