What's new

Shiva, 142.5L, and 21hz - Completed (1 Viewer)

Russell R

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
My sub is built and am integrating into hometheater. It sounds good. Gobs of bass. LOTR 1/2, Phantom Menace: Pod Race, no problems. I have to get used to this type of bass. I plan on building a second sub of some type complement the room.

Thank you,

Russell

Russell R

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
Now that the sub is working, I am wondering what to do next. What would happen if I added some convoluted foam to the inside walls? Will I need to subtract this from the total 142.5L volume, or does it play in a different part of the equation? Keep this in mind, I built this wil very a very heavy PVC tube. Just wondering how this would affect the sound. Also, what about stuffing? Would I have to retune? I am not ready to create a new sub platform, but just want to tweak what I already have. I plan on getting a BFD to help integrate into the room.

Thanks,
Russ

Stuart Mundy

Agent
Nice one Russell
Thats a great sub you have built, I have had the same for a few months now and run it in conjunction with a sealed 88 litre shiva.
Its bass heaven on a budget

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
You could experiment with lower tunings (this one's at 21Hz, right?). I found that 18Hz works very well in that Vb, it's the EBS alignment recommended by Adire.

Russell R

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I tuned to 21hz based on the PE250 rumble filter @ 19hz. Yes, I was thinking about lowering it to 18hz. I am currious about lining the tube with something to help dampen the resonance. What do you think about this? Will the egg crate foam need to be subtracted from the 142L volume? I am puzzled?

Thanks,
Russell

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I really wouldn't bother lining it. If you did, it would actually increase volume slightly. Try, see if you like, same with the tuning. With that filter, 21Hz makes sense, though.

Russell R

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Jack,
I guess I do not understand how adding filler into an enclosure will add volume. Is it due to the increased surface area? I did some music listening tonight and this sub sounds pretty good. I will make another, but would like to make it even tighter sounding. Possibly the Adire DPL12 / 75L. This is a sealed sub correct?

Thank you,

Russell

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Russell, The foam will slow down the backwave of the sub making the enclouser appear larger, same as poly fill, or even fiber glass. You can experment with differnt matirels & amounts to acheve differnt results, just don't go over board. My self I prefur the foam because its easy to work with & is very neat in apperance compared to poly or glass.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I merged your 2 threads. My fellow moderator Patrick Sun's guidelines for keeping one thread for each project is a good one. It makes it easier to track each members project and offer help to you.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
I use damping material in every 'box' enclosure I build. But I don't use it to increase the apparent box size.

Damping material (either aoustical foam, fiberglass, felt gasket material, etc) will absorb the higher frequencies that aren't filtered out by the XO. That results in better/clearer bass definition.

Lining the walls of a ported sub with a couple inches of material is adequate.

One can 'tune' the performance of both ported and sealed designs by adding increasing amounts of damping. Add about ~1/4 of a pound of material at a time. After adding each amount, audition the sub. The bass will tighten. When the bass stops getting tighter and the only audible effect is a decrease in output efficiency, remove the last amount added.

michael-e

Agent
dpl12 can be used in ported box.i would prefer it ported
the epb is for sealed

BUT youl want PRs i dont see the port i want,fitting in
its only 84db efficient also..

the DPL12 is supposed to be more cleaner,and according to mfk-projects.com too..

cheers
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks