What's new

Shenzhou 5 to launch October 15. (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And in my more pessimistic moments, I doubt if we will see a manned landing on Mars this century (nor a return to the Moon).

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
After all these years, I can't believe China is only the third country to send man into space.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I feel the next logical step in manned space exploration for us is a manned mission to Mars, not a return to the moon. Going to the moon first doesn't give us any advantages to sending a man to mars... we can do it from earth orbit. Read "The Case for Mars" by Robert Zubrin. It's a very good read, and NASA actually has used some of Zubrin's ideas in a hypothetical mission profile they created. Details here (http://www.marsinstitute.info/rd/fac.../rtr/ma24.html) **thanks for that link!**

Brian

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
A historic day, congrats to the Chinese and their 'taikonaut' Yang Liwei.:emoji_thumbsup:

Did you know the Chinese tried launching a man into space 600 years ago!:eek:

"China invented gunpowder and legend has it that a Ming dynasty (1368-1644) official named Wan Hu attempted the world's first space launch. He strapped himself to a chair with kites in each hand as 47 servants lit 47 gunpowder-packed bamboo tubes tied to the seat.
When the smoke had cleared, Wan was apparently found to have been obliterated. But the dream survived." Reuters.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Anyone have any ideas as to what fell off the launch vehicle right after launch was?

My first thought was that it was ice, but apparently the rocket does not use cyrogenic fuels so it can't be that.

Good luck to Yang Liwei and the Chinese space program.

Andrew Testa

Second Unit
After all these years, I can't believe China is only the third country to send man into space.
It's an indicator of just how difficult, expensive, and resource draining the process is. The European Space Agency and the Japanese (NAXA? now) are the only other contenders. Both have investigated man-rating their boosters for a small winged transport, but decided it wasn't commercially feasible. Much cheaper to invest in the US and Russian programs for manned access to space.

Congratulations are certainly in order for the Chinese engineers responsible.

Andy

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
After a safe landing, I can stop holding my breath.

Congratulations, indeed, to the engineers, the ground crew, and to Lt. Col. Yang Liwei who has returned safely back to Earth. From what I've seen, it looks like it was a picture-perfect mission.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Time has prevented me from coming here and offering my congratulations to this brave astronaut and to his country for a superb job. May the best be yet to come!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to try Chinese space takeout myself...would be great for those long gaming or coding sessions. :)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, am I glad that you put that in!
So I'm going to disagree with most of the other posters here, unless they suddenly change their minds.

I look at it like this. (myself jumping up and down) Oh boy, China is in the space race now!

What are they going to learn with one flight that we can't just tell them? Ok, and why haven't we told them? We could easily exchange technology for goods, but that would lead to an admission that ok, we are their friends, but not that close.

What possible good did this flight do for the rest of the world? Have they got some new rocket fuel or other new technology that we don't know about? Wouldn't the money have been much better spent by joining in to the 'international space station group'?

Glenn

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i just knew this thread would turn political. there is nothing in that article that other superpower nations don't already have in their arsenal. china may be trying to keep up with the jones', but look at it from their viewpoint.
and they are a potential enemy.
maybe they're a little worried about us too?

anyway, my huge congrats to china for a feat well done. :emoji_thumbsup:

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
So I'm going to disagree with most of the other posters here...
Disagree with what? That this is a huge technological achievement? Excuse me while I roll my eyes: :rolleyes

I don't see anything wrong with what China is doing. As was mentioned before: Fair is fair. It's not like other countries haven't done this already. In fact, I would expect nothing less of ANY country with space-faring capabilities.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Offending post removed. This thread was intended as, well, a tip-of-the-hat gesture of appreciation and congrats to the third nation to enter the brave new world of human spaceflight. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks