Sharp's Notevision A10X

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Alfred_T, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Alfred_T

Alfred_T Auditioning

I'm contemplating building a home theater in the basement of my new home. I have no experience with this what so ever, so I've been doing a lot of reading. While researching what projector to buy, I came across the Sharp Notevision A10X. It's listed as a presentation projector, but to my untrained eyes, it seems to meet all of the necessary requirements. The resolution is XGA up to SXGA+. The brightness is 1300 ANSI Lumens, and the Aspect Ratio is 4:3 & 16:9. Is there any reason why I can't use this projector for my set up?

Thanks,
    Al

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The native a.r. is 4x3. The one thing that stands out, at least for me, is the 450:1 contrast ratio. I would have to demo this with movies like Dark City to see if it would past the test (for displaying blacks and shadow detail properly).

3. Alfred_T

Alfred_T Auditioning

Thanks Neil. Let me know how it turns out. I'm going to need all the help I can get!

4. Brian R

Brian R Stunt Coordinator

I have one and would definitely recommend it. I personally find the black levels very acceptable. But like Neil said I would recommend that you demo before buying if possible. What are you going to be using as a source? HTPC, progressive scan dvd player, etc...

5. Alfred_T

Alfred_T Auditioning

I do have a progressive scan DVD player but is it also possible to use a DirecTV satellite receiver? Or should I even bother?

6. Brian R

Brian R Stunt Coordinator

Mine looks fantastic with a progressive DVD player (Denon DVD1600), and also with HDTV (Dish 811). I tried a Dish 501, hooked up to both the S-Video and composite inputs. It was just watchable with S-Video, but considerably worse with composite. With the 811 the non-HD channels are much better, apparently it does a better job upconverting the signal than the A10X does. I am using an 80" wide 16:9 screen.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    How is the scaler in this PJ?

8. Alfred_T

Alfred_T Auditioning

Being the novice that I am, I have no idea. I'm not entirely sure I know what a scaler is. Do you know where I can find out?

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If your DVD player can switch between interlace (480i) and progressive (480p), perhaps you can compare the two closely, especially looking at 480i for any artifacts (picture anomolies, jaggies, etc).

10. Alan Wong

Alan Wong Auditioning

The A10X is a nice pj for the money and works just fine at this price point with DVD. I personally just picked up a SE 1HD (Sanyo Z1 clone). The 1HD has a shorter throw and native 16:9 AR which were plusses for me.