What's new

Sharp Widescreen TVs (1 Viewer)

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
I'm currently shopping for a widescreen TV. I've noticed that the Sharp tvs are reasonably priced. My question is does anyone know how they perform? Would it be better to pay the extra money for a Toshiba? Thanks!

Scott

JimmyD

Auditioning
Scott,
Don't let the low price fool you, the Sharp's are GREAT! This is particularly true if you will be watching any low resolution non-digital video signal (i.e. regular cable or vcr tapes). In a side by side test using a low resolution video feed from a Sony Hi8 camcorder that I ran on a Pioneer, Sony, Toshiba, and Sharp at Best Buy the Sharp and Pioneer looked the same (the Pioneer runs >$1k more) and both were better than the Sony and Toshiba. Having had prior experience shopping for RPTV's I spent about 45 minutes before the side-by-side setting up each tv as most RPTV's you find in the stores have their settings all screwed up and their convergence is normally terrible.
If you want some informative light reading on the Sharp's go to this posting on the HomeTheaterSpot where myself and other Sharp owners have been discussing how much we're enjoying our recent purchases:
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ubb/u...&f=64&t=000033
James

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
James,

Thanks for the tip! I was getting a little nervous about the Sharp tvs because I went in several different Best Buy stores and in two or three of them the 55" Sharps had lines running across the bottom. Would that be something from the in-store feed? Thanks again for the pointer!

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks