What's new

Shaolin Soccer (1 Viewer)

Carlo

Grip
Hi folks,

I just read that Shaolin Soccer is being released in US movie theaters. I guess Hong Kong flicks are gaining popularity every minute. Anyway, I just saw the DVD for this movie on sale and was wondering if anyone has a copy? What do you think?

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Here is my review of the Universe DVD.
http://www.loveandbullets.com/shaolinsoccer.htm
There are two different prints of the film. After the film was released in Hong Kong a couple of weeks, a few extra scenes were put in. The DVD is the original cut but the extra scenes can be accessed.
I have shown this movie to several people who have never watched a Hong Kong movie before. They loved it. Subtitled and all.
Matt

Carlo

Grip
Hello Matt,

I enjoyed reading your review. It adds more anticipation on my side. My DVD is slated to arrive this week, so I can't wait. By the way, from what I read the movie is coming out this April.

Carlo

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I am hoping the movie isn't cut up by Disney. They did show the extended print to the test audiences so I hope for the best.

Matt

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
This was a fun DVD. DTS was available in Cantonese only, but my wife insisted on listening to it in Mandarin. I am pretty sure it was anamorphic also--a true rarity.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
My roomate loves Hong Kong stuff. He went to a store here in Tampa, FL that specializes in unusual (horror & import) stuff and the guy told him this film was a blast and that he had to rent it. I, on the other hand, don't like the Hong Kong movies at all. I've sat through half of a couple films and I just couldn't get into it. Shaolin Soccer, on the other hand, had me laughing constantly, so I managed to sit through it and enjoy it quite a bit. There are elements of the story that I felt were sort of "Westernized" and even before I heard Disney was releasing it here, I thought it would appeal to American audiences. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
If the movie is cut, I won't see it in the theater. The name change is bad enough. Disney doesn't think Americans know what Shaolin is. I also heard that Stephen Chow was furious that Disney wants this dubbed. I don't know where that stands now. The movie is listed as coming out in Cantonese but Disney always gives the wrong information. They also claimed that the CITY ON FIRES DVD would have the original soundtrack right up until it shipped.

Matt

YANG

Screenwriter
"DTS was available in Cantonese only, but my wife insisted on listening to it in Mandarin."

Michael,

I guess that you are from a mandarin speaking family.Or probably your wife is a caucasian who is taking up chinese language course?If it is the latter,i have to warn you that their english subtitle translation is not as perfect to the original cantonese dialogue.Some of the sentence may be mis-interpreted.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Of course Disney wants it dubbed, and a rap soundtrack put in as soon as possible. After all, Kung Fu movies only appeal to the lowbrow, Joest of Joe Six-Pack :rolleyes
Just import the Hong Kong, $12, DD, DTS and OSL to boot (Region 0!). English subs and it's a decent anamorphic transfer with (untranslated) extras. Worked for me

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I guess that you are from a mandarin speaking family.Or probably your wife is a caucasian who is taking up chinese language course?If it is the latter,i have to warn you that their english subtitle translation is not as perfect to the original cantonese dialogue.Some of the sentence may be mis-interpreted.
YANG,

You guessed pretty correctly. I am a typical ABC whose roots are Mandarin. My wife speaks Mandarin fluently although she is also American-born. She had the benefit of learning from her family in her daily household life. My mother speaks a number of dialects...and she helps us out frequently with the more subtle translation bumps in these movies.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
dddhouse.com or hivizone.com should still have this one. They are both reliable and have good service. Miramax/Disney has kept almost every other online retailer from carrying the import. Pokerindustries.com recently had to pull this one because of pressure from Miramax. HKFLIX and others have not had it for a while now.

Matt

Miles_W

Second Unit
This was actually the most fun film I watched last year! a Blast. What I have a problem with is how Disney are going to show this film. Some of the violence is degrading and while perhaps usual fare ( or at least an accepted way of story telling in HK movies) I think it maybe missunderstood. It is an important part of the story! I hope they do not cut it up. Overall an excellent film!

Miles

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I can't read French but according to this web site http://www.dvdrama.net/news.php3?4008 , SHAOLIN SOCCER will be cut by 30 minutes and the soundtrack will be replaced. I don't know what the sources are but I am going to try and find out.
The music was great and like the rest of the movie, should be left as is.
I am trying to find more eveidence to support this. This is a tragedy if it is correct.
Matt

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I need to confirm that with other sources. I haven't been able to find anything yet. I'm still looking. It would be very consistant with Miramax's practices with Hong Kong films.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks