What's new

Shaolin Soccer is Kung Fu Soccer again (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
For those who care.
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=12601
Miramax changed the title again. They already cut and dubbed it. They also paid the director off to agree with the changes. How do I know this? In the past there were several articles that mentioned how Stephen Chow was fighting to have his movie released with the original soundtrack and name.
The following is one example taken from taken from the South China Morning Post. I no longer have the link to this article. This article came out before Miramax changed the release schedule for the film.
03/02/2002 South China Morning Post (c) Copyright 2002 South China Morning Post Publishers. All Rights Reserved.
Hit film Shaolin Soccer has struck the jackpot by becoming one of the few Hong Kong movies to go on general release in the United States.
But US production company Miramax, which has bought the copyright, wants to rename it Kung Fu Soccer to make it more appealing to US audiences.
The film, directed by and starring comedian Stephen Chiau Sing-chi, is about a Shaolin monk who uses his soccer skills to spread the good word by leading a team of misfits to the top echelons of Chinese football. It will open in New York and Los Angeles early next month before being screened in about 1,000 cinemas across the country.
Shaolin Soccer's foray into America comes after Miramax bought the film's copyright from local distributor Universe International at the Cannes Film Festival last year.
Chiau's spokesman, Tin Kai-man, who also stars in the film, said Miramax was keen to use the title Kung Fu Soccer.
"They think the phrase kung fu is more appealing to the US audience and speaks for the genre of the film. But we don't think we should rename it as we prefer to stick to the original title," he said. Mr Tin said talks were continuing but the Hong Kong production team was adamant.
Shaolin Soccer opened last summer and has grossed a record $60 million. It received 13 nominations in the Hong Kong Film Awards this week.
Matt

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else think they should have been releasing it this week to 'tie in' with the World Cup final?

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Yeah, there have to be some pissed people at Miramax, considering they don't even have a trailer out yet. They definitely missed the best window to gain this release more visibility.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Personally I don't want it to gain ANY visibility. High ticket sales would just make them feel justified in dubbing and butchering more HK films (not that they don't already)

Stop the madness, stop the butchery!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm with Jeff. Why do they even bother with this crap??? (Meaning the cuttin' 'n' dubbin', that is. SHAOLIN Soccer is a great flick!)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Some web sites are organizing a mass e-mail/phone campaign on July 8th to let Miramax and Disney know that people don't want altered movies. For more info go here, http://www.hkfilm.net/disney/index.html .
This makes Miramax OFFICIAL LIARS. They claim that all changes are made with the cooperation of the film makers. The article above pretty clearly states that the film makers wanted SHAOLIN SOCCER as the title.
Matt

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
If Miramax wanted to appeal to US audiences then why didn't they change the name to "The Asian Longest Yard" instead. ;)
I mean, kung fu is supposed to have this great grip on US interests? They'd be better off taking the word SOCCER out of the title if they are going to be so uptight about the appeal of the film's name.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Wasn't that released in theaters here a few months ago under the title Kung-Fu Soccer? I didn't go because it was dubbed.

Hopefully the DVD will contain the OSL track as well, even if it's the secondary track with a lower bitrate (A la Iron Monkey), then I might buy it sight unseen... (And hell, might listen to the dubbed track once just for fun, like I did with CTHD, Iron Monkey and Metropolis)

As for cutting scenes, it doesn't bother me as much as if it was dubbed or MARed.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Martin, the entire opening sequence, which explains the entire motivation for the team's coach was cut for no reason.

It DOES make a difference, it doesn't matter if it's 1 minute or 50, why is that Asian directors lack the right to have their films released by Miramax unadulterated>?

The DVD will not have OSL. For some reason Miramax has problems even editing said tracks for the DVD. Funny, I can do it in about 7 seconds with Adobe premiere, why can't they on $30,000 editing bays?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully the DVD will contain the OSL track as well, even if it's the secondary track with a lower bitrate
Buy the current region free disk - which is a legal release, not a bootleg. It has English subtitles & is very good.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
BrianB; I guess I was unlucky when I grabbed the disc.

I went down to a place called Pacific Mall located in Richmond hill(Ontario, Canada) and found a DVD of Shaolin Soccer. After getting it home I found out it was Stereo, region2, without english titles.

It's still a great flick on my computer, but I want my friends to love it .

Brent
Thanks to Miles W for the heads up on this flick.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
It is truly getting to the point where I believe it's racism.
French films aren't cut. Why is it that Miramax feels that Asian movies should be cut?
If Miramax altered AMELIE, there would be people with pitch forks and torches at their office. Since it's an Asian film, few people seem to care.
When will they understand that bad English dubbing is not part of the movie experience?
I can also assure you that Miramax will make no mention that the movie is not in it's original language.

Matt

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
French films aren't cut. Why is it that Miramax feels that Asian movies should be cut?
Well, maybe French films aren't, but Miramax is currently doing a somewhat cynical rerelease of the "director's cut" of Cinema Paradiso... Except that this cut is in fact just what was shown in its original Italian domestic release, before the Weinsteins took out the scissors to the tune of 50 minutes. Also, the local alternarag claims that Miramax cut Italian For Beginners, as well (and the IMDB shows runtimes of both 112 and 116 minutes).

But, yeah, they do seem to apply a whole different set of standards to stuff out of Hong Kong. I suppose, in a way, it's a cynical matter of knowing their audience - marketing HK stuff as camp, for instance, will bring in more money than marketing it as a straight-up action movie.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it is rascism

But they aren't discriminating against Asians, instead it's against black people that they think have attentions spans of a gnat and only care about the Kung Fu Fightin'.

While it's true there is a large segment of the audience like that, they don't seem to care about sitting thru the "boring" parts, and running time is no excuse when you're sending 95% of these movies direct to video

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
OK, this conversation is getting weird. . .
I got the Universe region 0 release in Chinatown for about $13. It has 5.1 DTS audio and some very cool special features, including follow-the-white-rabbit-type SFX examples.
It's a shame that Miramax will sell even one copy of their screwed-up edition at double the price. :frowning:

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
According to monkeypeaches.com Miramax might be showing the movie subtitled in a very limited number of theaters. I am sure this will get no advertising so only those who know about the movie will seek out the subtitled version. Now that is only if it still not cut.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks