What's new

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I asked earlier in this thread which sequences were filmed with the IMAX ratio and no one was quite sure. I just streamed it on Disney+ with the IMAX aspect ratio, and it was in 1.90:1 for the entire movie. So I assume it didn't shift aspect ratios at all when played in actual IMAX theaters either.

The press release confirms that the physical Blu-ray version will be 2.39:1 only, so the IMAX framing is a Disney+ exclusive. That's too bad but not terribly surprising. I absolutely will still be purchasing the disc though. I liked seeing it in 1.90:1, but I saw it in theaters in 2.39:1 and didn't feel like I was missing anything at the time. It works well in either ratio.

The Disney+ exclusive special "The Making of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings" is now up under their "Marvel Assembled" series listing. I will probably watch that later tonight. But none of the extras that are going to be on the Blu-ray itself have been loaded onto Disney+. This is a bit of a surprise because usually they do include at least some of the Blu-ray bonus. I guess I will get to dig through those on November 30 when the Blu-ray arrives.

I loved the movie in the theaters and was thrilled to be in a theater for it. It is among my favorite movies this year and under normal circumstances, I would have probably gone to this three or four times. However, due to the pandemic and the Delta environment back in early September in particular, I didn't think it was worth even a small risk to go back to the theater at that time for a second viewing. So this afternoon was only my second viewing. I am delighted to say that it holds up really well and my initial enthusiasm for the movie was not misplaced or overexcitement. This is fantastic and I would put it in the uppermost tier of the MCU. After being disappointed with Eternals last week, which is easily my least favorite MCU thing to date, it was great to see this again and come back to a side of the MCU that love and characters I cared about.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well.
I just watched this on D+ and I sooo wish I could have seen this at the movies.

Like tino mentioned the entire movie if watched on the imax enhanced choice plays in that format. So great.

This is close to a top 5 Marvel Movie for me.
The opening sequences were thrilling including that fight/dance bit which reminded me of another movie from a few years ago that had many fight scenes in bamboo trees.

I just loved this and will buy the 4K set just to have it but while the Imax version is up I’ll only watch that one.

Still trying to understand not liking a marvel movie because some parts are Fantasy.
The whole thing is fantasy. It’s all also Fantastic.
Dragons flying around takes yiu out of the movie while none of the other stuff like the rings and a guy living for over a thousand years doesn’t. Okay.

Anyway. 4.5 stars for me.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just loved this and will buy the 4K set just to have it
I'm glad you liked it so much.

Unlike many other people, I don't like IMAX films switching aspect ratios at home. It can be more immersive if you're actually watching on a giant IMAX screen, but at home I find it to be distracting and it often takes me out of the movie. So seeing Shang-Chi maintain the 1.90:1 aspect ratio for the entire film was a pleasant surprise.

I saw it in theaters in 2.39:1 and never felt like I was missing anything. it works extremely in both ratios

The extras from the Blu-ray release are not on Disney+, which provides another reason to have it. They have an exclusive making-of documentary on Disney+ located the "Marvel Studios Assembled" series page. But the featurettes and commentary that will be on the disc aren't there.

The bonus features for Jungle Cruise which also debuted (without a surcharge) yesterday are on there, so that's an interesting divergent strategy among the two different titles.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
which reminded me of another movie from a few years ago that had many fight scenes in bamboo trees.
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon ?
Unlike many other people, I don't like IMAX films switching aspect ratios at home. It can be more immersive if you're actually watching on a giant IMAX screen, but at home I find it to be distracting and it often takes me out of the movie.
I don't notice it most of the time when watching a disc with the shifting ratios. I think I noticed it for the first time with "Captain Marvel", and thought, "so that's what everyone is talking about". Though it may be less dramatic with a projector on a larger screen than on a TV.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think I noticed it for the first time with "Captain Marvel", and thought, "so that's what everyone is talking about".
What version of Captain Marvel do you have? My Blu-ray of that is 2.39:1 all the way through.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The only time I recall that shifting ratios bugged me came with "Transformers: Age of Extinction" because the ARs flew all over the place willy-nilly.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
We bypassed Shang-Chi in the theater and waited for it to hit Disney+. Watched last night. After the first action sequence outside of Ta Lo, I said "that was cool" out loud. After the bus action sequence, my fiancé (who normally doesn't say anything about this kind of thing) did a "wow." That set the tone for the whole movie. We both very much enjoyed it. It's a great way to introduce new characters to the MCU and develop them. Also, outside of Thanos and Loki, I think Xu Wenwu is the most developed villain the MCU has. I understood his motivation, what he was trying to accomplish and why in pretty short order. I'd be happy if he comes back somehow...and also happy if he doesn't.

Just the right amount of humor and action.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We bypassed Shang-Chi in the theater and waited for it to hit Disney+. Watched last night. After the first action sequence outside of Ta Lo, I said "that was cool" out loud. After the bus action sequence, my fiancé (who normally doesn't say anything about this kind of thing) did a "wow." That set the tone for the whole movie. We both very much enjoyed it. It's a great way to introduce new characters to the MCU and develop them. Also, outside of Thanos and Loki, I think Xu Wenwu is the most developed villain the MCU has. I understood his motivation, what he was trying to accomplish and why in pretty short order. I'd be happy if he comes back somehow...and also happy if he doesn't.

Just the right amount of humor and action.
I'll be watching it on Disney+ this week and will most likely purchase the 4K disc too.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I guess I'll be a voice of dissent here. My wife and I watched it two nights ago and while I thought it was well-made, it just didn't connect with me much. Simu Lui was fine in the lead role, and he had some great comedic chemistry with Awkwafina (who stole the movie IMO), but I was actually a bit bored with the whole affair. Maybe it will grow on me with a second viewing, but I'm in no rush to see it again,

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I guess I'll be a voice of dissent here. My wife and I watched it two nights ago and while I thought it was well-made, it just didn't connect with me much. Simu Lui was fine in the lead role, and he had some great comedic chemistry with Awkwafina (who stole the movie IMO), but I was actually a bit bored with the whole affair. Maybe it will grow on me with a second viewing, but I'm in no rush to see it again,

I really enjoyed the fight scene on the bus towards the beginning - that had that “I’ve never seen this in the MCU before!” feel that I got watching the Nick Fury car chase in the “Captain America: Winter Soldier” movie, but I found myself losing interest a bit as it went on.

I recognize that this is more of a “me” thing than a movie problem, but I’m at a point where when we get to the third act of these films and the talking stops and the fighting starts (and goes…and goes…and goes…) my attention starts wandering. I felt the same way during Black Widow and some other MCU titles.

Of the recent-ish MCU titles, I hold the Doctor Strange ending in high regard because you expect there’s gonna be some huge cosmic fight with Benedict Cumberbatch vs the CGI monster, but then Strange turns the tables on him by turning it into an intellectual struggle more than a physical one.

But I get that most people come to these things wanting to see things go boom in spectacular fashion and I can’t fault the filmmakers for having scenes where the superheroes use their super powers.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It took three tries to get through it. I fell asleep the first two times. The third time I finally made it through it. I found the "Katy" character rather annoying and her voice grated. She reminded me of an Asian Joan Rivers with her squawking voice.

The film itself wasn't bad, although it didn't grab me like it did a lot of people here. The presentation on D+ was what impressed me. I don't think the film would have looked anywhere as good at the local, second rate, theatre as it did on my OLED set.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
One thing I didn’t see mentioned is that this Abomination that appeared was what it is supposed to look like. Not that blobby looking one in the Hulk movie.

I didn’t look at the credits, did Tim Roth do this too?

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
How It Should Have Ended:

Spoilers in the video, obviously, in the unlikely case anybody has read all the way to page 11 without seeing the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks